Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Oral PM counterproductive? Is topical better?

Question 

I love my PM, but I was doing some reading about Growth Hormone and IGF-1, and noticed this:

Quote:Oral estrogen treatment suppresses IGF-1 production in the liver, where approximately 80% of serum IGF-1 originates from,[50] and reduces total serum IGF-1 levels (by 15–40%, dependent on dose and type of estrogen administered), as well as increases levels of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 1 (IGFBP1) (a carrier protein that inhibits IGF-1 binding/activity).[51] This results in a state of functional GH resistance (as GH induces IGF-1 production and secretion in the liver to mediate most of its effects),[50] with combined oral estrogen and GH being less effective in evoking the clinical effects of GH relative to GH alone in clinical studies of individuals with hypopituitarism/GHD.[51] In contrast, treatment with combined GH and transdermal estrogen has been found not to decrease IGF-1 levels or increase IGFBP1 levels.[51] As such, estrogen administered via other routes of administration that bypass the liver, such as transdermal (in the form of estrogen patches), sublingual, intranasal, intramuscular injection, and subcutaneous injection, may be significantly more effective than oral estrogen.[51]
- Wikipedia article on Hormonal Breast Enhancement

So the big question: Is oral PM somewhat or even ultimately counterproductive? Is this evidence that topical PM would be much better for increasing estrogen without damaging progress in other areas?
I know PM like anything isn't fully absorbed when ingested, but I didn't mind as long as it worked well enough. But now I'm having second thoughts now that I've read this!

Can the more scientifically knowledgeable folks here shed some light? Blush

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Messages In This Thread