Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

NBE-Lactation

(07-07-2018, 02:41 PM)surferjoe2007 Wrote:  
(07-07-2018, 07:55 AM)EllaC Wrote:  
(07-07-2018, 03:59 AM)surferjoe2007 Wrote:  It is dangerous and for this reason is no longer approved even for inducing lactation.  In addition to many terrible unintended side effects, the intended effect of increasing prolactin works by blocking dopamine.  Dopamine is one of the most important mood chemicals alongside serotonin.

Lactation doesn't increase breast size as much as you might think.  While pregnancy causes lactation, the breast size increase is mostly from estrogen and progesterone and only a small part is from prolactin.  Prolactin also reduces multiple other hormones and so in some cases can reduce breast size, especially when there's way too much prolactin.

The saggyness after pregnancy is mostly from a drop in progesterone and happens whether you lactate or not.  Though I'm sure there's some temporary inflation from liquid too, and some temporary deflation/saggyness when it stops.
Hey Surfer.
Thats interesting. Yes i think i considered DomP when i couldnt successfully breastfeed but read the side effects. Then in recent years was prescribed it as a prokinetic but when i got home first thing i did was read up on side effects and saw it was contraindicacted in anyone with a cardiac abnormaility - was pretty furious having JUST told the Dr at the time id been admitted to hospital due to an unknown cardiac event. How interesting its now been banned - this info hasnt reached our country yet - not suprising but again goes to show how these drugs are downright dangerous.

So you think if we did manage to successfully reach lactation it would be at the risk of lowering dopamine and subsequent possible depression? (makes total sense as so many women suffer post natal as i did myself).
And IF you managed to succeed reaching lactation once you stopped, its progesterone that you might need to supplement to keep from sagging?

See i totally believe it is possible to retain breast size increase post breastfeeding as both origional poster and my mother also did. Also my breast friend, went back down to normal size after her first baby and breastfeeding but has maintained bigger breasts x 2 time around. 
Im also aware MANY women find the complete opposite, so does the secret possibly lie in keeping your hormone levels higher ie progesterone once you stop? What are your thoughts?

Personally i DONT have the time to try and relactate but i know the benefits are paramount
Sorry I slipped up a little on the wording.  DomP not approved for inducing lactation.  It is still allowed for more serious problems where they might consider risking the side effects.

Dopamine is a major factor in depression but there are people with excess prolactin and thus low dopamine who aren't depressed.  Low dopamine mostly causes a lack of motivation and desire. 

Yes maintaining breast size after pregnancy is possible and it does depend on hormone levels which are different from person to person.  Yes low progesterone after pregnancy is common and increasing it after pregnancy is often helpful, though this is not always the case.  I'm cautious about saying "breastfeeding" rather than "pregnancy" because breastfeeding is not the main cause of growth nor sagging.  I don't want people to think lactating is the main way to grow.  Nor avoid it to avoid sagging, at the expense of the baby.  Sadly that happens, which would be messed up even if it were true.

Yes your right i was thinking about it, men can even lactate but it doesnt mean he has those hormones making changes to his breasts.
The pattern ive seen amongst my friends/family is first baby return to normal size, second whole other ball game but then as you say its the hormones responsible for that. 
In hindsight what bothers me most back when i was breastfeeding and went through post natal i knew nothing of this sort and could have saved myself a heap of trouble.
Thanks S.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Messages In This Thread
NBE-Lactation - by Idalia - 06-07-2018, 02:19 PM
RE: NBE-Lactation - by EllaC - 06-07-2018, 08:49 PM
RE: NBE-Lactation - by Idalia - 06-07-2018, 10:14 PM
RE: NBE-Lactation - by EllaC - 07-07-2018, 12:54 AM
RE: NBE-Lactation - by Idalia - 07-07-2018, 02:17 AM
RE: NBE-Lactation - by surferjoe2007 - 07-07-2018, 03:59 AM
RE: NBE-Lactation - by EllaC - 07-07-2018, 07:55 AM
RE: NBE-Lactation - by surferjoe2007 - 07-07-2018, 02:41 PM
RE: NBE-Lactation - by EllaC - 07-07-2018, 07:51 PM