Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
Thread Closed

fennel side effects? crohn's problems....

fennel side effects? crohn's problems....
January 30 2007 at 3:56 PM littlemadison (Login littlemadison)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to be having problems with the Fenugreek and my Crohn's disease. I'm wondering if there are any side effects that any of you have noticed when taking Fennel? I did a search and found that one person with Crohn's disease had problems with taking the fennel, but Fenugreek seemed to help. I seemed to be doing so well with it until this past couple of days. Maybe taking fennel would help me. I don't know. Just wondering if theres any digestive discomfort that comes with this that anyone has experienced. I really don't want to have to quit so soon, but I had to leave work early again due to pain and discomfort. This could become a problem.

x madison

Author Reply
littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: fennel side effects? crohn's problems.... January 30 2007, 4:24 PM

I just wanted to add to this...

If there is ANYone on this forum with crohn's disease, please let me know. I just want to know what herbs you are taking and if you are having any growth with the disease, as well as which herbs you need to stay away from. Thanks. Smile

x madison

Edit Message Delete Message

Ann5
(Login Ann5)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: fennel side effects? crohn's problems.... January 30 2007, 6:23 PM

I don't know anyone with the disease. But have you been treated for it? Have you gone to a naturopath? Have you looked online for some helpful treatments? I found an article that stated Hops and Mexican Wild Yam are good for the disease (maybe you've read it). You could try adding those into ur routine, they're good for NBE anyhow.

How to Live with Crohn's Disease
"Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile) and Mexican Wild Yams (Dioscorea villosa) are both anti-inflammatory substances. These two herbs help again the effects of colitis. Another herb is Hops (Humulus lupulus), which is a digestive stimulant. Plantain is another herb helpful in the treatment of ulcerative colitis. Seeds of the Plantain plant are used for inflammation of the intestines and stomach. The fresh juices from this plant are very helpful in treating many inflammatory diseases. To reduce tissue inflammation use chamomile, marigold, and meadowsweet. Chamomile also relieves gas in the abdomen, as well as easing stress, and this herb also aids to healing in latter stages. Meadowsweet lessens the bleeding. Doctor Navarra recommends life root (golden senecio, squak weed, rodwort, false valerian, cocash weed, female regulator) to patients because it's roots and herbs are medicinal."

http://pages.prodigy.net/mattgreen/live.htm

Some websites that could help if ur interested are curezone.com, healingdaily.com, and herbdoc.com.

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: fennel side effects? crohn's problems.... January 30 2007, 11:26 PM

THANK you SO much! Yes, I have been treated pretty much every way there is. Unfortunately I find something that works and my body gets used to it then it no longer helps me. =( But the information you have sent seems very helpful, and I will look into it. I am taking Wild Yam capsules and have just ordered some Hops capsules which I just read about possibly helping me today. But there are a few other herbs there listed that I'm obviously going to have to do a little more research on. Thank you so much for taking your time to find this for me. You are making my life so much easier, and if these herbs do work, I don't even know how to thank you...

x madison

Sissy
(Login sissy2345)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: fennel side effects? crohn's problems.... January 31 2007, 12:17 AM

littlemadison, there was another gal here who said she had suffered with crohn's for a long time. I told her a story about someone I know who had problems all her life and had several surgeries to remove parts of her intestines (I think that's what was removed). This woman I know suffered horribly with the disease, I know because she was a good friend of my brother's wife, and I was with them several times when they had to pick up her son from things because she couldn't. Anyway, this woman started taking two products from Nikkon, one was Jade Greens, and the other was drinking the Pi-mag water from a machine. She is totally symptom free today, and says it is all due to those two things. My understanding is that you just don't get "cured" of this, but she apparently has absolutely no problems now. It's been several years since her "remission" if that's what you call it.

Just wanted to pass this info on. I know that what works for some does not work for all, but any time I hear of a person suffering with this, I will pass it on because I know it worked on someone. I'm not a rep for Nikkon by the way Smile. Their products are not cheap either.

The other lady seemed to get offended and was horrified that I told her about a natural remedy, when she needs so much medication. I would never suggest to someone to stop taking meds in favor of a natural remedy unless they were open to it and wanted to try something else. Just wanted to add that. -- Sissy

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: fennel side effects? crohn's problems.... January 31 2007, 12:20 AM

I just read the Saw Palmetto's side effects are upset gastrointestinal tract.... I just added that in about 5 or 6 days ago... Would it take that long to kick in? Has anyone had any problems with this?

x madison

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: fennel side effects? crohn's problems.... January 31 2007, 12:58 AM

Sissy, thank you for your input. Sorry I didn't see your post before. I will look into it.

x madison

Ann5
(Login Ann5)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: fennel side effects? crohn's problems.... January 31 2007, 2:15 AM

It sure could take that long to see side effects. When I change my dosages or herbs I feel the effect in about 4-5 days. So it could be the Saw Palmetto. I personally haven't had any tummy trouble over it though.

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: fennel side effects? crohn's problems.... January 31 2007, 2:33 AM

Hmmm.. I'm really hoping it's not the saw palmetto. I think I might not take it tonight, then I'll re-add it on a Thursday so I don't have to worry about missing work if it causes problems again. My fingers are crossed.

x madison

Laura
(no login) littlemadison & Sissy February 9 2007, 8:51 PM

Hello Madison,,

Just saw this article and wondered how you are doing with the fennel and Saw Palmetto, I would of thought that fennel would upset crohns, I'm on SP about one month and my crohns is upset, are you coping with SP?
Would like to know.
Laura
x

Sissy, you have stated here that I was offended with your ideas on this product, I told you on my post that I was not offended with what you were saying, but I feel you go sraight into talking about this product with very little knowledge about crohns also one's personel medical history is important before taking anything over the counter.
No two crohns patients are the same.
you seem to be upset that I did'nt agree with what you were saying.
if a product worked for someone you know, medication may have put them in remission, before the product. No natural remedies help severe crohns alone. I'm sorry you don't agree with that. I think it would help for you to research about crohns as it would give you an idea of the severity of the illness.

madison
(Login littlemadison)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: fennel side effects? crohn's problems.... February 10 2007, 1:15 AM

Hi,
I decided not add SP back in again, because I didn't want to take the chances, as I was pretty sure that was what was upsetting it. I also read that Kelp had similar side effects, so I stopped taking that as well and just upped my dose for cayenne to keep temperatures raised. I started taking Stinging Nettle Root Extract, as I read that it could not only help my crohn's symptoms, but people found it decreased the need for inflammatory drugs up to 50 percent!
I am going to be adding in Fennel next week. I don't remember where I first read it could help, but here is a page I found that you might find interesting (I ordered the peppermint and fennel tea from here):
http://www.helpforibs.com/teas/
Right now I am slowly adding the stinging nettle - started at 250 last night, 500 today, and I will continually slowly increase the dose till I get to 2000 or somewhere close to there (more detail on my P-Page). I will wait one week before I'm confident with its side effects (if there are any) and then add a new herb. I plan on adding Fennel next, and I will slowly increase the dose with that as well, and give it a week before adding any other herbs.
I also started Hops a week ago, another herb thats supposed to help with the cramping, and so far so good. I am almost back to normal.

That is my update for now. I will post back (if I can remember) to let you know how the fennel is working for me.

x madison

Sissy
(Login sissy2345)
SENIOR MEMBER To Laura February 10 2007, 2:30 AM

I know someone who's life was paralized by the disease. They are not anymore, and are not taking any medications. This is not someone I know from "online". This is someone I knew personally then, and now know this person to be someone who lives a normal life. No meds. Two products changed her life. Since then there have been added supplements, but all natural. I will continue to tell anyone suffering just like I did you about what I know helped someone.

You do seem to be offended and should ignore any future similar post by me, because I can't help but tell the story when this disease comes up.

Larua, let's drop it here. I would not want to argue about it, I'm sorry that you and others suffer, that's why I pass on the info.

madison
(Login littlemadison)
SENIOR MEMBER Herbs for people with crohn's, IBS February 10 2007, 7:10 AM

Here are some of the websites that tell about the benefits of the herbs and teas:

Fennel
http://www.stomach-fitness.com/fennel-tea.html

Peppermint
http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/peppermint.asp

Chamomile
http://www.christopherhobbs.com/website/...e_lib.html

Hops (taken by me in capsule form)
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/archives/...y/hops.asp

Red Clover (this one doesn't have much, just a list of what it helps)
http://www.1001herbs.com/redclover/

Nettle (this ones not very good either)
http://www.healthbulletin.org/crohns_gas...sease2.htm

Just a little info I found - not the original stuff I was reading or anything...

x madison

mike
(no login) fennel and anise??? August 30 2011, 4:37 AM

i was diagnosed with crohn's when i was 10 years old. i am now 26. i have noticed a strong pattern of feeling HORRIBLY bloated within a few hours after consuming either anise or fennel.... i am not sure which, but i know it is the spice that is in most italian sausage.

i decided to look up "anise" and "fennel" online and check out other peoples problems with them..... that backfired! i have only read threads where these spices have HELPED people, not hurt them. not the results i was expecting....

i know i am about 4 years late on this thread, but a response would be great.

Mel
(Login itsjust4fun91) Re: fennel side effects? crohn's problems.... September 11 2011, 8:10 PM

crohn's is a autoimmune disease, one I'm all too familar with. My family has the dreaded hla b-27 gene, meaning just about everyone has one of a handful of the diseases this gene can cause. The illnesses in my family are Colitis, crohn's IBS, rieter's syndrome, psoriasis, and psoriatic arthritis. So when I suggest something it's not put out there lightly. It is from a lot of experience and many of my family member's already using it and in remission for the first time in their lives. I know you've probaly already been told to try probiotics, BUT most of the people telling you this don't understand that buying off a shelf at the drug store isn't going to help someone with a disease as serious as yours. There is a special company that is there especially for people with crohns and colitis and they have a product called VSL #3. It's the highest dosage of probiotic you can get. It's refridgerated so you know it's alive and it's a very special blend to address intestinal diseases. It cost 50 for a bottle of 60 and shipping is free. It's shipped with icepacks and styrofoam to stay cold. My mother was on the verge of major surgery her colitis had gotten so bad and this not only prevented it but put her in a remission for the first time in 20 years. I take it also for IBS and wouldn't dare stop, since it's the difference between me being able to go out and enjoy myself or having to stay locked away at home.

Probiotics also can have a double duty and that is for body temperature. If someone has too much candida it will make their temp low which is no good for nbe, but probiotics kills the candida and allows the body temp to regulate.

I started out taking 4 pills a day until my symptoms improved and then dropped it to 2 and now I take 1 a day to stay stable. So now a bottle last me 2 months. 25 a day seems very worth it to me.

http://www.vsl3.com/

Anyways, just some food for thought.
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon