Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
Thread Closed

sugar & period pain [archive thread]

sugar & period pain
May 26 2008 at 2:39 PM topazblue (Login topazblue)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other sugar thread has prompted me to investigate the relationship between sugar and period pain.

I've actually never researched this before because I discovered the relationship between sugar and my period pain long ago.

PERIOD PAIN

So far, it appears that the period pain that I used to experience is caused by prostaglandins. A summary is below (although mine lasted longer than the first 2 years)....

"Primary dysmenorrhoea usually begins within a year or 2 of your first period. The pain is spasmodic and colic-like or cramping. This type of pain occurs when your period begins and lasts about 2 to 3 days. It is thought to be due to forceful contractions of your womb (uterus) brought about by prostaglandins.

Prostaglandins are normal hormones that are produced by the body. They stimulate contractions of your uterus during your period and are responsible for contractions in childbirth, during labour. The contractions are painful because they compress the blood vessels to the uterus, cutting off the blood supply and depriving the tissues of blood."

Reference: http://www.mydr.com.au/default.asp?article=2299

SUGAR

I couldn't find anything that directly linked sugar to the prostaglandins that bring on period pain (contractions). However there appears to be a relationship to aches and pains including athritis.

"We've also learned that much of the fat we eat is converted into compounds called prostaglandins. And the fats from certain foods produce prostaglandins that promote inflammation and worsen our aches, pains and chronic diseases while fats from other foods produce prostaglandins that are anti-inflammatory and that may relieve our aches and pains and help us feel better."

Reference: http://www.nohypehealth.org/fats.html

"Eating sugar also creates another problem for those suffering from arthritis pain: sugar directly increases inflammation. When sugar is eaten, the human body will either use it for blood sugar or convert it into fat for storage. Sugar is readily converted into a bad fat, namely saturated fat. Saturated fat is a problem for arthritis sufferers because it contains the fatty acid arachidonic acid. Arachidonic acid is converted by arthritic joint tissues into an inflammatory substance called a series two prostaglandin. The conversion of sugar to saturated fat increases the amount of arachidonic acid available and results in an increase in inflammation and pain"

Reference: http://www.holistichealthservices.com/re..._pain.html

SUMMARY
I was really surprised to not find any information readily available on sugar and period pain. All I know is that my period pain (contractions) is directly linked to my sugar consumption. I hoping that this helps others.

Author Reply
topazblue
(Login topazblue)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: sugar & period pain May 26 2008, 2:44 PM

ignore my reference to the first two years...that's when it starts not how long it lasts

darkhorse11
(no login) Sugar and period pain July 19 2011, 11:49 PM

Hi,
Your message was VERY useful - I have been keeping track of the relationship between sugar and period pain for my own experience, and have found that my periods are about 40-50% more painful when I have been having excessive sugar across my cycle. Sugar also seems to make my tension, moods and stress worse - I am sure a doctor could explain why, but this area definately needs to be researched further! I have not done any tests to see if I have any kind of 'condition' such as Polycycstic Ovarian Syndrome etc, but I can at least confirm that eating sugar to relieve mid cycle tension will have bad repercussions at the end of the cycle!
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon