Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Issues Shaving Legs

Hi,
I am a male and love when my legs are shaved and silky smooth. However, I seem to get terrible razor burn if I try to shave every day or even every other day. I get these red pimples (razor bumps) on my legs. The only way they seem to go away is if I stop shaving. I have tried letting them soak for a good 10 minutes before starting to shave. I also use a good shaving cream and moisturize as soon as I get out of the shower. I make sure the razor is always a new blade too. Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible that if I keep shaving that my skin will eventually get used to being shaved and not have razor burn?

Also, a question for the girls. When I get cold, my legs get prickly and it is almost painful. It is so uncomfortable. This happens quite frequently even when wearing jeans. I can't imagine what a girl would experience wearing a dress or skirt.

Christin

The razor bumps is something I suffer from too all my shaving life.

I still get it now to the point where I am scared because I cut them and have shaving cuts. I have found the only answer to be stop shaving. Try wax or hair removal cream or get an epilator. Although an epilator is a lot of work. You will notice if you wax or epilate that the hairs become finer and finer and over years some will never grow back at all.

Exfoliate when you wax/cream/epilate so you don’t get ingrown hairs, another big problem for me. I’m just too lazy to keep up with the other methods so go back to shaving and destroy my legs again! o but if you try wax and you come up in lots of bumps thats normal they should go away in a day.

Maybe get all hairy and let your skin heal and then try one of these other methods. wait maybe a month. you really need to heal the skin.

good luck

Maz X

I used to get razor burn too when I first started shaving. Especially in sensitive areas and areas where the hair is coarser (eg underarms, bikini area). I've found that my skin is less sensitive now that I've been shaving a while and I get less irritation.

Since the skin is adequately lubricated, the only things I would suggest is to make sure you're not pushing into the skin too much/shaving too closely and to shave slowly. If you do get irritation don't shave again until it goes away. Oh, and use unscented lotion!

If you still get bad irritation, you could try waxing. I wouldn't suggest depilatories as they can cause a lot of irritation if you have sensitive skin.

Hi, it could be you´re having something I think is called foliculitis or something like that, it´s an infection in the hair shaft. It´s pretty resistant, you´ll get little pimples whenever your skin is warm, you´re wearing tight clothes or sweat a lot.
The only solution is to have a dermotologist prescribe some treatment, in my case I had to take oral antibiotics and some topical ones too whenever I broke out, and from then on always disinfect my legs with alcohol right after waxing.
The thing is, I had this condition through waxing, but the method doesn´t really matter, it´s just that some skins are more sensitive to bacteria and such and when you take the hairs away they are able to get in more easily, so to say.
But anyway, don´t worry about it, it will go away, I´ve been waxing and shaving my legs and bikini line for years after I had this and haven´t had any problem.

I use to get really bad razor burns too. What I did was I bought this alcohol like bottle from Sally's Beauty store that was used for razor burns. Its a little pricey for a little bottle ($8). But after I shave, I would put this on and the bumps would go away.

I got tired of that so now what I do is I use an epilator and shave every once in a while and apply that razor burn alcohol liquid on my legs. Moisturize often and my razor burns have gone down quite a bit!

Hair removal is my biggest nightmare.
I get a terrible rash from shaving but it's because of a (mild) allergic reaction to the razor blades, even the hypoallergenic ones. I also get prickly and uncomfortable when I'm cold, it's horrible Sad
I've tried hair removal cream which does the job but after 2 months I start to react to the brand I've chosen and have to change. The regrowth and the uncomfortable prickly feeling is worst of all after shaving and also this method of hair removal.
Preferably, I wax. I still get a reaction to this but it's not half as bad as when I shave and it actually goes! When I have it done by a professional it's even better... But far too expensive.
In fact having to buy waxing strips for myself is costly enough as it is so I've finally saved up and bought an epilator. It's a tad painful and I get a reaction that's worse than waxing but better than shaving and similarly to waxing; it goes. It saves a lot of money in the long run too Big Grin
So basically, I'd avoiding shaving at all costs if I were you and if you're problems are anything like mine Tongue Good luck! x

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon