Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
Thread Closed

Info on Androgens

Info on Androgens
June 13 2007 at 4:18 AM
KittyCharlette (Login KittyCharlette)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ive been googling and found this info. kinda interesting:

One reason researchers have neglected the study of androgens in women is a simple matter of quantity: women have, on average, much less of them than men do. There are many androgens, but the major hormone circulating freely is testosterone.

Men have between 300 and 900 nanograms of testosterone for every deciliter of blood, much of it generated by the testes, but some originating in the adrenals, the little hat-shaped glands abutting the kidneys. (A nanogram is a billionth of a gram.) In women, a high measurement of testosterone is 100 nanograms, but the average is around 40, said Dr. Geoffrey P. Redmond, president of the Foundation for Developmental Endocrinology and a physician at Mount Sinai Hospital in Cleveland.

But the testosterone level varies significantly with the menstrual cycle, as do the more stereotypically female hormones, estrogen and progesterone. That is because a woman's testosterone comes not only from her adrenal glands (which are fairly steady from week to week in their hormonal productivity), but also from her ovaries, with each organ contributing about half. And as the estrogen production in the ovaries falls and soars, so, too, does testosterone output, meaning that a woman's maximum androgen secretion corresponds with her estrogen spike and hence with her ovulation.

Thus, in women with normally high testosterone levels, the ovulatory spike may bring them into androgen ranges approaching those of a low-testosterone male.

The impact of that fluctuating testosterone on the body is not clear. Researchers have a good idea of what testosterone does to males. During fetal development, it shapes the growth of the male genitals and possibly influences brain circuitry. When a boy reaches puberty, androgen production in the testes swings into gear to sculpt the secondary sexual characteristics: the thickening of muscles and vocal cords, the widening of the shoulders, the growth of the penis and the beard and the sudden obsession with sex.

In girls? Well, scientists know testosterone contributes to their adolescent development as well. It makes pubic and underarm hair grow. It could help their muscles and bones develop, although how it interacts with estrogen -- which is known to be necessary for calcium absorption and bone strength -- is unclear. "I wouldn't be surprised if female athletes have higher testosterone levels than nonathletes, although that's not well defined," said Dr. Roger S. Rittmaster, an associate professor of medicine at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Girls with high androgen levels may also end up with comparatively small breasts, he added, for in males the presence of testosterone is known to prevent a man's circulating estrogen from prompting the breast tissue to swell. Androgens can also cause a teen-age girl's skin to become oily and break out, just as the hormones do to luckless boys. A Debate Over Treatment

here is the link if you want to read the whole thing

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9907E3DF1130F930A35756C0A962958260&sec=health&spon=&pagewanted=print

the part i highlighted with **** makes sense to me. i have a very oily forehead and no boobies. hopefully the SP i just started to take helps!

Author Reply
lindyrose
(Login lindyrose) Re: Info on Androgens June 13 2007, 1:33 PM

Thanks for the info Kitty!! I've been too busy to do my own research about it but I have been considering taking it. Now does Stinging Nettle do the same thing?? I think I remember some posts that say it's ok to take that in place of the SP, if that's the case I might try that because I just read something on-line that the Nettle is good for allergies & I need to take something for that anyway. Sneezed on que LOL.

lindyrose
(Login lindyrose) Re: Info on Androgens June 13 2007, 1:46 PM

Forgot to tell you congrats on the weight loss!!! That's awesome!! It took me like almost 2years to lose the 20lbs I gained with my last kid. I think I liked holding on to the weight for so long because for once I liked the size of my boobs, not that they were gigantic or anything. I just saw your pics and I think I read that you lost 1 1/2" but it doesn't look like it... your right it was probably all backfat-LOL Smile
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon