Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
Thread Closed

Bovine ovary and acne

Bountiful Breast and Acne
August 26 2007 at 3:47 AM Denise A. (Login taygav)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone out there experienced any Acne from taking Bountiful Breast? My facial skin is a mess and is not clearing.

Author Reply
Kelly
(no login) Re: Bountiful Breast and Acne August 26 2007, 7:50 AM

Yes I have! I thought I'd just managed to get rid of it as well. Bah....

KittyCharlette
(Login KittyCharlette)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Bountiful Breast and Acne August 26 2007, 11:40 PM

yes i got acne from BB and generic BO (DNE). it cleared up when i stopped.

IttyB
(no login) Re: Bountiful Breast and Acne September 1 2007, 5:41 PM

Hi Denise,

I totally sympathize with you. Acne has been bad for me on the BO, but it's better now. I'm on BCP (Yaz) and Saw Palmetto and that seems to be making a difference, but it's still a work in progress. I'm also only taking 1000 mg of BO but will kick it up later if the acne is under control after a few more weeks.

IttyB

Lost Sheep
(Login Kittyluv09) Re: Bountiful Breast and Acne September 2 2007, 4:46 PM

IttyB, Did the Saw Palmetto ever make you spot while taking Yaz? Or has it affected your bcp in any way? I also take Yaz and was wondering about taking Saw Palmetto. How many mg do you take?

IttyB
(no login) Re: Bountiful Breast and Acne September 2 2007, 11:35 PM

Hey Kittyluv,

Well I only just started the saw palmetto about 2 weeks ago, but so far it hasn't affected my BCP at all. No spotting with it either. I was taking 1 450 mg capsule for every DNE BO, so just 900 mg, but the last two days I've upped my BO to 1500 mg, so now it will be 1350 mg. Good luck to you.

IttyB

Anne
(no login) Re: Bountiful Breast and Acne September 28 2007, 7:45 AM

Yes, I'm afriad to say that BO = acne.

FennelI
(no login) I never get acne... September 29 2007, 8:19 AM

I've still got perfect skin, even after I started taking bovine ovary. No change. As a matter of fact, I haven't got any side effects whatsoever.

Acne/Melasma with bovine ovary
April 26 2007 at 6:59 AM RoxieChoche (no login)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all! I am a newcomer and have been reading all of the helpful posts here. I think I'm going to start with BO, but am wondering about side effects. Can anyone who has tried BO before tell me if they experienced increased acne, or seen signs of melasma (also known as "pregnancy mask" - dark spots of skin, usually on cheeks, and upper lip, associated with higher estrogen levels). I had some melasma when I was on bc pills years ago and don't really want it back. I also just recently got my acne under control. I would like to weigh in on the pros and cons before I start a BO program, so I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has any insights to share - if they experienced either of these and to what degree. Thanks so much for any help!!

Author Reply
Sissy
(Login sissy2345)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Acne/Melasma with bovine ovary April 26 2007, 11:12 AM

My experience with BO over the last 5.5 months has brought no symptions. I am not acne prone though, however I do get a couple of hormonal pimples every few months before a period. I know the pregnancy mask that you speak of, I got it when I was pregnant, but it has not come back on BO. I did hear of some getting something similar while on L-Tyrosine I think. I also heard of a few ladies getting acne, but whether it could be blamed on the BO or other suppliments is unknown.

I think that generally BO is taken without side effects, but there are exceptions and I have read about them on this forum.

Buffeee
(Login Buffeeee) Re: Acne/Melasma with bovine ovary April 26 2007, 2:57 PM

My hormonal acne has disappeared from using BO. Not that it will do that for someone else, though. There's no telling how it's going to affect you.

BO acne related to kelp?
December 12 2007 at 5:25 AM Ashley (Login ashwe320)

Hello! I'm new to this forum and just ordered DNE BO to give a try. My biggest concern is the side effects, namely acne. I'm 24 and have had mild to moderate acne most of my life. I've just recently started to clear up (fingers crossed) and the thought of provoking it brings tears to my eyes. However, I remember my dermatologist warning that one of the triggers for acne can be high levels of iodine. Just curious if the kelp supplements that most people are taking with the BO could be causing the acne as opposed to the BO itself? Food for thought...

Author Reply
Wonderpuff
(no login) Re: BO acne related to kelp? December 12 2007, 8:12 PM

I'm not sure of the specifics of each person who took BO and had problems with acne, some probably were taking kelp but not all. There are some old posts talking about it. Just a heads up, you said you just ordered from DNE, they switched from bovine to porcine ovary a while back. I know that there are middle men sellers who still advertise the product as BO, it isn't. I'm not sure if you bought from a different seller, but the DNE site does specify porcine ovary in the product description now. As for results with PO, it's seems to work well for me so far. I've been taking it for just over nine weeks and have increased two inches. I also haven't experienced any negative side effects from it. Good luck.

Edit Message Delete Message

kieyah
(Login kieyah)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: BO acne related to kelp? December 13 2007, 4:06 AM

when I checked the dne webside it still says bovine. I typed in a search on their site for "ovary" and it is the only one that comes up. where does it say porcine?

this is the one I found:
http://dnevitamins.com/item-group.asp?cID=0&scID=0&pgpID=375

Judith
(no login) Re: BO acne related to kelp? December 13 2007, 9:10 AM

Well I got acne from BO and I haven't taken any kelp (I had no reason to take kelp).

Wonderpuff
(no login) Well I'll be... December 14 2007, 2:47 AM

They just can't make up their minds. I just ordered more of the porcine two weeks ago, but only got four bottles because I had no idea they were going to switch back. That absolutely sucks since I've been getting pretty good results from it without any negatives. I have no desire to try BO because of all the side effects people have had with it. I just emailed them, since it's too late to call, to find out why they changed back if they were so worried about the risk of BSE. They still have Denmark listed as the country the cows are from so I don't know how the risk has decreased. Oh well, if they stick to bovine I guess I'll just finish the pills I have and then try herbs if I'm not satisfied. Good luck all.

kieyah
(Login kieyah)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: BO acne related to kelp? December 14 2007, 3:33 AM

So it is BO again now? i don't see why they don't just sell both kinds since some people don't want to take bovine. And some people don't want to switch to porcine.

This message has been edited by kieyah on Dec 14, 2007 3:35 AM

Ashley
(no login) It is PO December 14 2007, 4:34 PM

I just ordered mine on monday from DNE, it just arrived this morning...even though it says BO on the website, it is actually PO, 500mg.

JCPenny
(Login JCPenny) Re: BO acne related to kelp? December 14 2007, 8:31 PM

um, just a little thought here. With the BO triggering your body's natural boobie making hormones, I'm kinda thinking that all the teenage hormone symptoms might begin to surface. I know most people start showing acne when puberty kicks in. Why would something that makes those hormones come back not give you the same side effects? I personally combat the acne with tea tree oil applied topically to my face, and then put some coconut oil all over my face before I go to bed at night. It helps with the acne and keeps my face from drying out.

kieyah
(Login kieyah)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: BO acne related to kelp? December 15 2007, 3:06 AM

are you inside or outside the US? I am wondering if they are shipping bo within US and PO outside the US so as to not get into trouble with customs. I still think they should offer both kinds.

Lost Sheep
(Login Kittyluv09) Re: BO acne related to kelp? December 19 2007, 3:20 AM

It's actually illegal for the US to import any bovine products from countries that have known to be infected with BSE.

I submitted a question to the FDA or whoever is in charge of imports to ask if what DNE does is ok. I never received a response, but a month later they were suddenly selling "porcine" ovary. However, all they did was change every bovine word to porcine on their website, which makes me think they never changed the product at all.

Anyways, I agree they should sell both. But something makes me think that it was never switched to pig ovaries.

What helps with facial breakouts on BO?
September 2 2007 at 10:15 PM Lisa (Login lilmama40)

I'm taking 1500mg of BO (DNE) per day and my face has recently stated breaking out somewhat. Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know of something that can be taken to clear it up? I don't want to go off the BO but the breakouts on my face are very unattractive!

Author Reply
Ann5
(Login Ann5)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: What helps with facial breakouts on BO? September 3 2007, 6:30 AM

Acne was the only side effect I got from BO. I remember reading in Michelle's program that she took Saw Palmetto for the acne. So I did add the saw palmetto awhile ago, but I didn't see any difference myself. I've been off the BO for about a month now and I still have some breakouts now and then, I never used to have that problem before (not even with herbs).

Sara
(no login) Re: What helps with facial breakouts on BO? September 5 2007, 1:37 AM

I would love to know if anyone has any advice for the breakouts also! I actually stopped taking the BO a month into it because the breakouts were so bad. I was also so hormonal and going through a tough time. But, I'd like to started again, if it wasn't for that pesky acne..

Acne???
May 26 2007 at 1:32 AM
KittyCharlette (Login KittyCharlette)

Has anyone experienced any acne from taking BO? I never had a problem with zits/oily skin up until i started the program. i want my face back Sad

Author Reply
paula longstreet
(Login butterfly40) acne May 26 2007, 9:31 PM

I have noticed alittle more acne since starting on BB.
I have like little bumps on my legs and chest and alittle more acne then usual on my face.
I think it will go away though.
How long have you been taking BO?
Paula

kittycharlette
(Login KittyCharlette)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Acne??? May 27 2007, 1:26 AM

at the beginning of last year i took BB for 4.5 months and didnt have a problem with acne. i started taking BO at the beggining of February this year. I have always had clear skin up until recently. My forehead is so oily that i can soak it up with a paper towel - yuck! its a horrible feeling. my back has also become more oily. so far BO has given me nothing more than pimples and yucky skin.

Envie
(Login Envie3) Re: Acne??? May 27 2007, 11:51 AM

I also noticed acne on my face, and it has made look like a cheetah, with all those spots....
Surprisingly, I was told that BB prevents acne. Guess not for me!!!! :-(

Lost Sheep
(Login BuffeeeAgain) Re: Acne??? May 29 2007, 3:25 PM

Bummer. My nbe efforts have made my acne go away. And I've had it in varying degrees since I was 12.

HS29
(Login HS29) Re: Acne??? May 29 2007, 4:26 PM

I get little bumps on my forehead. I decided to take a break, (just for a few days)- no bumps- they are gone. My skin is naturally oily anyways- so I don't know if BB is making me oilier(is that a word) or not.

KittyCharlette
(Login KittyCharlette)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Acne??? May 31 2007, 10:17 PM

my skin is also naturally oily. I started to use a face wash for oily skin along with dabbing witch hazel on my probelm areas several times a day to absorb the oil. looking a little better.

Fawn
(Login fawnmarie) Re: Acne??? June 1 2007, 12:37 AM

Acne is a common side effect of NBE.

Take a look at two things - temperatures. Are your temps low?

Another thing to think about is added saw palmetto.

Fawn

Envie
(no login) Re: Acne??? June 2 2007, 5:21 PM

I did read somewhere that L-Tyrosine also increases acne on individuals whose skin is prone to acne..Then read that selenium has a reducing effect for breakouts. Acne is a side effect for BB, so does it mean that the BB tablets have some bad estrogen that increase acne? Or I'm all mixed up?

Lost Sheep
(Login ccuplady) Re: Acne??? June 3 2007, 3:51 AM

I've also had a HUGE increase in acne since going on BO, etc... Can't take Saw P, headaches even in tiny doses.
Yes I'm taking Tyrosine, yes I have low temps.

What do low temps have to do with acne? I'm very curious.

Fawn
(Login fawnmarie) Re: Acne??? June 3 2007, 3:30 PM

Your body needs to be the right temperature to convert androgens to estrogen - because aromatase enzyme is heat sensitive. Acne is normally caused by high androgens.

Saw palmetto helps block some, and making sure your temperature is high enough will help speed the conversion.

Acne is really just small infections in the pores caused by excess sebum, which is usually caused by high androgens.

You will need to address the infections by using topical preparations on you skin suited for acne, and may want to look at the block/temp thing as well.

Fawn

KittyCharlette
(Login KittyCharlette)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Acne??? June 4 2007, 12:16 AM

i also read somewhere that a b-2 deficiency can cause more sebum. ive been taking b-complex vitamins and it seems to be a little bit better.

Spotty Sheep
(no login) But... June 4 2007, 8:00 PM

If acne is caused by high androgens, how come we seem to get acne from taking bovine ovary which contains estrogen? It doesn't make sense in this case.

ccupwannabe
(Login ccuplady) Re: Acne??? June 5 2007, 2:33 AM

Fawn, thanks for the great information.
Since I have acne and low temps, it does seem that an androgen issue is at work here. However, I cannot take even 160mg of Saw Palmetto a day without getting headaches.

After doing some research, it looks like low estrogen bcpills will help to block androgens. So - is this something I should pursue? My gyn has given me a script for Yaz. I wasn't taking it b/c I thought it would interfere with the BO and NBE, but, in my case, the androgens seem to be interfering (low temp, so no growth). So - would taking the Yaz actually help both the acne and the NBE?

Fennel Fairy
(Login fennelfairy)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Acne??? June 5 2007, 6:50 AM

I normally have what people call perfect "peaches and cream" skin. Smooth, flawless and balanced with no acne. People often comment on it. However, since starting BO I have noticed a little change. I get tiny little pimples on my forehead and the skin is slightly oilier. YUCK! I am doing well on the BO but if this problem increases and I get acne I will stop taking it.

I don't have any excess androgens and as spotty sheep said, I find it hard to believe that adding estrogen would give me a higher level of androgens. I think it's the overall inbalance of the added estrogen that gives me "puberty skin". Any hormonal change can result in a disturbed skin balance.
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon