Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Isabelle/Anyone else - Longer periods?

I'm not really sure which category to post this under because I'm specifically taking BO, but I think it's something that can apply to anyone doing any form of NBE.

I finished my first full cycle of Ultra Breast on Monday (meaning my period started that day). I noticed that my period was perhaps a bit lighter than usual during the first few days which was kind of a nice change! However, for some odd reason it seems like my period keeps stopping and starting. I thought it was over early yesterday, but it ended up starting back up in the late afternoon. At that time it was basically just spotting and was the darker um... "stuff" which typically indicates I'm nearing the end of my period so I didn't think much of it. But today the same thing happened. I thought this morning it was over but this afternoon it started back up again, only this time it's the brighter, fresher looking stuff... And that's not so normal for me.

It seems like I remember maybe Isabelle (or someone else) mentioning in a post before that periods that drag on like this can indicate too much progesterone. Am I correct on that? I should clarify that my concern is not so much that I'm still on my period; it's not uncommon for me to have a 5-7 day period. It's just the fact that it keeps starting and stopping, and now I've got the brighter flow coming again. ("Flow" probably isn't the best word for it, as it's not heavy or anything. More like spotting.)

What are other possible causes of something like this? I haven't really had any other symptoms of excess progesterone. The only negative side-effects I've experienced so far are some stubborn hormonal breakouts on my chin before my period, and I've been feeling a little sleepier than usual lately. But that could be due to other things as well. Could this just be my cycle adjusting to the BO?

One thing I should mention is that I added in Swanson's Pituitary (taking 160mg per day) and 1 Swanson's BO (250mg per day). I stopped doing this today because my stomach has been feeling crampy and a little bloated, and just yucky in general. I'm wondering if that could also be due to all stopping and starting with my period. Or it could, of course be the addition of those two things.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi shortcake,

Once I started looking for it, I found literature about all common phyto-estrogens disturbing cycles: PM, hops, soy, flax, you name it. But you are right to think it's the progesterone, on BO. In a natural cycle, progesterone is really zero from day 25 to day 11. Some write the decrease in progesterone on day 25 triggers the period.

The pituitary didn't help. It also increases LH and FSH. While it's normal for these hormones to increase a little at the start of a period, the real peaks occur during ovulation. If the uterus wall gets hormone levels typical of a period one day, and hormone levels typical of an ovulation the next, it will answer with a stop and go period. It just follows orders.

I had a slightly lingering period about a cycle ago and I suspected it was from my use of progesterone cream. I also remember it coming on and then the second day, it was practically gone. Then it started up again the next day. I think it was 7 days and that's long for me. I am normally a 3-5er.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon