Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

HELP: Fenugreek giving fast unreasonable heart beat??

Dear all,

I am new to this forum, but I'm already loving it here - thanks for all the great help being posted so far! I'm new to BE and have been taking just fenugreek in tea form on a daily basis as well as mixing the powder for massages. After using it for just a week, however, I discovered that my heart sometimes beats very fast for no reason. This has caused me not being able to fall asleep on a few nights. I use about 2 g fenugreek to make tea and a tea spoon of fenugreek powder for massage. Does anyone experience the same here? Any past experience on advice of what to do? Any help is appreciated!!

hi aimingC,
I experience the exact same thing after drinking my fenugreek tea! It is a bit worrisome. I am not sure why this happens either. I have heard that fenugreek lowers your blood sugar and that's why people can get bad headaches after fenugreek consumption. Maybe our increased heart rates have something to do with this? Not sure...
Grace

(09-11-2011, 02:49 AM)grace Wrote:  hi aimingC,
I experience the exact same thing after drinking my fenugreek tea! It is a bit worrisome. I am not sure why this happens either. I have heard that fenugreek lowers your blood sugar and that's why people can get bad headaches after fenugreek consumption. Maybe our increased heart rates have something to do with this? Not sure...
Grace

Hi Grace,

Thanks for the shout out - now I don't feel alone feeling this weird symptom. So I discontinued fenugreek tea today and the rapid heart beat has stopped for the rest of the day. I think it must be a dosage issue here....any experienced user of fenugreek would like to give us some insights?

(09-11-2011, 03:48 AM)aimingC Wrote:  
(09-11-2011, 02:49 AM)grace Wrote:  hi aimingC,
Grace

Hi Grace,

Thanks for the shout out - now I don't feel alone feeling this weird symptom. So I discontinued fenugreek tea today and the rapid heart beat has stopped for the rest of the day. I think it must be a dosage issue here....any experienced user of fenugreek would like to give us some insights?

Hi AimingC and Grace,

I would def. ask Isabelle.. ask it in her post and she would most def. may have an answer or read her link you may find some info about your question somewhere.. here is the link to her program http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=8419

It is a known side effect, yes:
"The compounds coumarin and nicotinic acid found in fenugreek, for example, can have very potent effects on heart rate, blood pressure, blood sugar, and other bodily functions."
http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/herbs.html

My guess is it could be an allergy to the nicotinic acid. If an antihistamin normalizes the heart rate, it's an allergy. Lowering doses helps too.

Hi Isabelle,

If it is an allergy using it as a tea wouldnt that make it even worse..

Hi Susan,

Don't know. Could be worse, could be better. I never tried it as tea, but it's this kind of small differences that make the difference for allergies, yes: tea or cold water, boiled or not, milk, yogurt, soaked, lots of ways to try to get rid of the allergy.

I bought FG organic extract on 11/7/11 & began putting about 4 drops into some lotion to use for massage. I have done this twice a day, morning & night. Today is my 3rd day & I'm having headaches & I feel a little jittery. Maybe I'm adding too many drops? I also smell like maple syrup even after a shower. Lord knows what my honey is gonna think when I get cloe to him. I'm usually jumping all over him & right now I'm putting distance between us because I'm nervous. I'm making excuses & I think he's hurt. He looks at me with these sad kinda eyes. After reading this I think I'm just going to explain I tried a supplement & now I smell like syrup!! Oh crap....what about afterward, after "The Deed"? Maple syrup scented me...I guess.

Thank you for the replies, beachbumbythesea and Isabelle!! I think it's gotta be a little over-dosage...as I usually have a full spoon of fenugreek. Today I added half a spoon of fenugreek and my heart is not pumping that fast anymore. I guess everyone is different, so just gotta be a little more careful in my case. =/

petunia~love: yes, the smell is pretty strong with fenugreek massage. At least it's not a stinky smell - given the bigger goal, let's deal with it...lol

Hope everyone's program's working well!

xx

Yes I agree! Maple boobies are here to stay, at least for 2-3 months to see if it works LOL

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon