Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Maca Root?

Hi DareIask?,

Hard to tell. In six months of fenugreek, my Waist to Hip Ratio improved from 0.95 to 0.84, and love handles are gone. Since I started maca, however, my weight went up again to what it was six months ago. But I did keep the 0.84 Smile

Isabelle, you did workout or something (diet) for the love handles to disappear right? Or can fenugreek really do that on its own??? :o

Hi Rosance,

FG does that on its own. I actually reduced exercise to walking and gardening.

I started taking Maca and had to doscontinue after only about four days of use at minimal dosage due to migraines. Most sites say there's no side effects, but with research I did find other cases where Maca caused intense headaches in those prone to them.

Hi Isabelle,
you seem to be so knowledgeable of the NBE! Wish I had your knowledge.
Anyhow, I'm currently on maca and considering PM after a few months on maca lone. I've researched long enough to find out that I should take PM on the first day of my period, and continue so for 15 days. There's a girl who is taking PM and maca and reported breast and butt growth. Do you think it would be wise to....
-Take PM for 15 days, starting when period starts, AND
-Take maca for everyday?

Your information is very, very appreciated by me.

Lia

Hi Lia,

Taking PM with maca is great, but when you stop PM, you may get androgen symptoms from the maca: acne, oily skin, or scalp hair loss. Make sure you have an anti-androgen ready when it happens.

Isabelle, would you recommend lowering Maca's dose when not on PM as well as include an anti-androgen (I have Wild Yam)? Or you think an anti-androgen on its own should be enough (of course depending on the dosage of each)?

Hi Rosance,

The anti-androgen will do. Of course lowering the maca dose will help too, but too slowly: maca feeds the endocrine system. Effects on androgen symptoms still appear more than 12 hours after taking maca, because there are several intermediate reaction steps between taking maca and affecting testosterone or DHT.

Thanks Isabelle! Big Grin
I stopped using it a while ago, after you recommended taking it with PM, because of the headaches I was having. I later realized, during this last PM cycle, that it wasn't really Maca that was doing this, it was PM. After taking Maca out, my headaches continued. I added a little Fenugreek (1000mg divided into two dosages) and guess what NO HEADACHES! I feel confident that my next PM cycle with Maca will be better if I take Maca, PM, and Fenugreek together. I want to see the effects of Maca on my bottom and for the purpose of using testosterone for estrogen. ONE MAJOR QUESTION: do you think this program will be counterproductive towards NBE?!?

Follicular:
PM, Maca, FG
Luteal:
WY, FN, FG, Maca

Thanks so much, Isabelle!
So, taking maca will result in androgen symptoms? If so, shouldn't I be having that right now because I am on maca 1000mg/day right now. Or does it only result when taking PM then getting off of it? I've been on maca for 3 weeks and I don't have any "bad" symptoms. There's no headache or any hair-loss. The only thing I've noticed so far is that, after 4 days of taking maca, my menstrual cramps was significantly lowered! I'll confirm that with my next menstrual cycle.

Also, what anti-androgen herb do you recommend?

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon