Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

fenugreek: capsules vs seeds

I was wondering is there any difference whether I use fenugreek caps or eat the actual seeds? I'm taking caps now and I don't think I have that tale tell maple syrup smell. I've even asked my partner a couple of times to double check and make sure I didn't smell of anything new.

I'm taking 1800mg a day in caps by the way.

I'm just curious, I've been adding it to help with my Brava program, and help thin out my waist.

I usually have to take around six capsules a day, two every six hours or so a day, for a day or so before I get the maple smell. Though you may not need that much to begin development or the smell. Body mass plays a part I think I would build up slowly until you feel changes. I use Fenugreek whole herb at 610 mg.

(25-02-2012, 06:47 AM)Malina Wrote:  I was wondering is there any difference whether I use fenugreek caps or eat the actual seeds?

I think the difference is just one of convenience.

I guess the reason I was wondering was if you chew the seeds you may be getting something else out of them than just swallowing the pre-processed caps. But I don't know. Just wondering.

It shouldn't make a difference unless the caps are poor. 1800 mg of fenugreek isn't that much so that could be why you're not getting the smell. Unlike some other herbs you can take a lot of fenugreek. For nursing women it's often said the right amount to get results is enough to make you smell like maple syrup. You could take more, or add wild yam or goat's rue instead. Too much fenugreek fiber can be hard on the stomach, so if increasing FG you could try tea to avoid consuming the fiber.

(25-02-2012, 06:47 AM)Malina Wrote:  I was wondering is there any difference whether I use fenugreek caps or eat the actual seeds? I'm taking caps now and I don't think I have that tale tell maple syrup smell.

Hi Malina,

I've taken up 3 grams of fenugreek capsules and did not smell the maple syrupy smell on me, but right now, I'm taking 1 tsp of the crushed seeds and pour just boiled water on top. I smell like fenugreek: pee, pits, and sweat (after working out). Disgusting. Husband doesn't notice as I constantly wash, shower, and refresh to camouflage the smell.

It works...slowly.

Thank you for your replies, what do you think would be an appropriate daily dosage for someone like me? I'm biologically female, and weigh around 122-123 lbs. I thought I was taking about the right amount (1800mg per day)

Hello,
I bought Fenugreek powder from Starwest botanical. There is no info as to what strength it is. Does anyone know how many mg. of FG are in a tsp.? I don't want to over or under dose when I use it as a tea.
Thanks

(07-03-2012, 03:10 AM)Malina Wrote:  Thank you for your replies, what do you think would be an appropriate daily dosage for someone like me? I'm biologically female, and weigh around 122-123 lbs. I thought I was taking about the right amount (1800mg per day)

I'm 5'5 1/2" and weighs on average 124 lbs, and I took 3000 gr FG capsules as my only herb way back 12/2010 when I first started NBE. I grew an inch from 32.5" to 33.5" in less than a month. I took MSM, drank chicken feet broth and soy powder milk and massage like crazy. I reached a full 34D when breastfeeding my 4th baby; this could be why I responded fast.

Now, I take about a tsp FG in powder form, about 2300 grams to 2700 grams depending if it's leveled tsp or a little over the top. I also take about 2300 grams hops, 7 grams powder flax seed, and 20 grams oat flakes. Started 36" on this combinations 1/9/2012, and is now 36.5" 3/7/2012.

3000 grams FG a day seems to work for me. I also have taken the Greenbush Kit#2 combo: 3000 grams each of FG,WY, and SP. I grew an inch on that combo.

(07-03-2012, 03:10 PM)lostacres6 Wrote:  Hello,
I bought Fenugreek powder from Starwest botanical. There is no info as to what strength it is. Does anyone know how many mg. of FG are in a tsp.? I don't want to over or under dose when I use it as a tea.
Thanks

I took the FG sees from Starwest and crushed it in coffee grinder. A teaspoon of the crushed FG seed is about 2700 mg. In powder FG, also from Starwest, it's approximately 2300-2700 mg, depending if you level the teaspoon or loose teaspoon with a little bit over the top.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon