Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Saw Palmetto dangerous for women?

It was dangerous for me.

I'm 28 and last year I took saw palmetto as suggested by the men's supplements for 4 months. 2 pills a day, really never missing a dose. 

I was taking it to get rid of my adult acne, and also maybe help my hair get thicker, which i believe it helped a lot with. My acne pretty much disappeared, and my hair was better too. I thought it was my miracle drug. 

But at the 4 month mark when my doctor put me on antibiotics for an unrelated infection, I stopped taking the SP pills cold turkey for a week because they thin your blood and blood thinners were contraindicated with the antibiotic.

6 days into not taking the pilks I starred getting SEVERE cramping in my uterus, and it was like constant bad period pain but I was not on my period or even close. Sex with my boyfriend also became suddenly painful and I went to my gynecologist to see what was up. 

They gave me an ultrasound and it turned out I had developed a uterine polyp. Uterine polyps develop from a sudden abnormal spike in estrogen, and I'm convinced it was the result of my hormones going into overdrive after suddenly not taking saw palmetto, an estrogen suppressant. I know it's just a theory, but I think the timing was a little too perfect to be a coincidence. 

Now I need surgery or hormone therapy to get rid of the pollyp and my periods are all messed up. 

I guess if I were to do it again I would either not mess with saw palmetto, or just take a minor dose and taper off instead of stopping altogether suddenly. 

I didn't realize SP suppressed ESTROGEN as well as testosterone when I took it, I thought it only suppressed testosterone. Otherwise I probably would have been more careful.
I also was not on birth control in case that matters. 

I guess just BE CAREFUL, sometimes the benefits dont outweigh the unexpected risks. I know this is a really old post, but if I came across it someone else might.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Messages In This Thread
Saw Palmetto dangerous for women? - by cupcake85 - 05-06-2012, 11:49 PM
RE: Saw Palmetto dangerous for women? - by Doll - 07-06-2012, 04:04 AM
RE: Saw Palmetto dangerous for women? - by gilly - 08-06-2012, 06:13 AM
RE: Saw Palmetto dangerous for women? - by cupcake85 - 09-06-2012, 12:46 AM
RE: Saw Palmetto dangerous for women? - by Molly H - 13-06-2012, 01:37 PM
RE: Saw Palmetto dangerous for women? - by ems - 14-06-2012, 10:59 AM
RE: Saw Palmetto dangerous for women? - by CousinRose - 18-06-2012, 03:40 AM
RE: Saw Palmetto dangerous for women? - by ems - 19-06-2012, 03:16 PM
RE: Saw Palmetto dangerous for women? - by Mcole - 25-10-2017, 03:00 PM
RE: Saw Palmetto dangerous for women? - by surferjoe2007 - 27-10-2017, 12:09 AM