Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Fenugreek and testosterone

(15-07-2012, 05:45 AM)Brilaw Wrote:  I found a study that might shed some light on why that guy takes fenugreek. Those men that took 2 doses of 300 mg FG a day reported "improvements to their sexual desire, arousal and performance." Some men reported shorter recovery time after orgasm and better sex. However, these reportings were found NOT to be the result of increased testosterone. Instead, the blood samples of the study team found no significant changes in the evaluated hormones (testosterone and prolactin) and no significant hormonal differences between the two groups despite the notable jump in libido among the fenugreek group.

http://www.peakhealthadvocate.com/441/fe...ce-in-men/

Interesting that they found FG doesn't increase prolactin in men.. hope it does in women

I've not heard of this before, but something that could well be relevant is this:

It has been reported by several people on these boards that shortly after taking FG there is a noticeable increase in 'blue veins' on the upper chest area, which disappear again after a short while.
It has been surmised that FG may be a blood vessel dilator somehow, and if so this could easily explain the effects you've reported on recovery time and performance, etc. I haven't noticed this myself after taking FG but I do get the blue vein effect, particularly on my left side, for some reason.

That's because 600 mg is too low to increase prolactin.

It is the dose gym rats use. It was all started by studies like this one:
http://robthoburn.wordpress.com/2011/02/...it-smells/
In this study, there was a small (7 %) increase in testosterone, but the increase in estrogens was 4 times higher. For some reason, the testosterone increase was significant, while the estrogens increase wasn't.

Estrogens are anabolic too. So as long as you don't tell them it's estrogens, these guys will be very happy when they notice their butt grows twice as fast. If they do get the dreaded "bitch tits", which is not likely because the increase in estrogens is small, they will take an aromatase inhibitor.

NBE doses of fenugreek increase prolactin, which increases progesterone. Body builders will like the effect of progesterone when they see it: a lean, ripped look, a sharp, awake look in their eyes, and a bit of irritation that gives them just the slightly aggressive look judges appreciate. Again, don't tell them it's a female hormone that does this.

Even at NBE doses, the estrogens increase is so small that it only makes a difference men, who have low estrogens to begin with. The amount of isoflavones in fenugreek is negligible, as compared to red clover or soy.

I never tried if low fenugreek doses do increase testosterone. NBEers wouldn't notice anyway, because all of us take anti-androgens, so the testosterone becomes estrogens instead of DHT. Since estrogens are made from testosterone, all increases in estrogens must have been preceded by some increase in testosterone. Starting NBEers who don't use anti-androgens, report acne.

So I think fenugreek is a very good herb for the gym, when used in moderation. It slims the waist, puts on weight, warms, and temporarily increases insulin. Everyone should use it Big Grin

There actually is a fenugreek extract that is marketed as a testosterone booster. It is called Testofen.

http://www.testofen.com

I tried it some time ago to boost T, but, other than lightening my wallet, it didn't seem to do much that I could tell.

Here's the study, FG unregulates hormone production in the testis:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=20507258

Note these things it's unregulating are activated by follicle stimulating hormone and leutinizing hormone. So besides needing testis, these two hormones would also have to be produced normally and not blocked by a problem like high prolactin.

Those in bodybuilder forums are deathly scared of FG because of it's reputation among women, yet among those brave enough to try it none of them found increased prolactin nor man boobs even though it's a pretty good amount of extract.

(13-07-2012, 10:56 AM)CousinRose Wrote:  I was talking to a boy a few days ago that is working on his body and he told me he was taking fenugreek to increase testosterone. I told him the herb was estrogenic and maybe he should reconsider. I have never heard this before. I looked online for information about this and saw it is being sold as an all around hormone booster. I have not felt any signs of increased testosterone, I feel they are hard to miss Wink But maybe this is something girls high in androgens should have in mind.

After taking FG for 5 months I went in for a checkup as I started having hot flashes and night sweats. My T came back high, and through research discovered that phytoestrogenic herbs are first used in the body as Free T and THEN coverted to an estrogen. If I can find the links again, I'll post them.

PS-Licorice is an herb you can use to lower T.

Since taking FG my hair loss is worser. I suffer from hair loss since many years but it was much better in the last months. Now it got really bad again. I am taking FG since only 9 days, so I cannot say for sure it is the FG but my hair always reacts very fast to any supplements. I am afraid that FG increases my testo level. Sad

I don't know if I should continue taking it for the next week or so until I get my period or if I should better stop taking it. Huh Currently I am taking 3-4 g per day. I also started taking Ginkgo one week before the FG and stopped taking B-vitamins and recently I ran out of Zinc. So the increased hair loss rate can be a combination of various things.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon