Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
Thread Closed

Difference between Vegan and Vegetarian

Difference between Vegan and Vegetarian
March 31 2008 at 7:59 PM Wahaika  (Login Wahaika)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate to open this can of worms but I'll start it with a questions. What is the difference between Vegan and Vegetarian? Can either eat eggs?

Author Reply
marie
(no login) difference between vegan and vegetarian March 31 2008, 8:20 PM 

Vegetarians only eat veggies and fish. Vegans do not eat anything that is not from the ground. My good friend is vegan. She only eats raw veggies and maybe some bread (organic, whole wheat, since wheat is grown I guess). She doesn't eat any meat unless its like a veggie burger. She doesn't eat milk, cheese, or any dairy unless it is soy. I don't know if all vegans follow the next rule, but she does, and that is you only eat one cooked meal per day. Everything else is raw veggies, or fresh vegetable juices, etc. I am pretty sure she cannot eat eggs, but I am not sure about vegetarians. Vegans are much more strict than vegetarians. She follows the Hallelujah Acres diet (you can visit their website for more info). I have started doing a few things she does and one of those is drinking Barley juice (yes, it's yucky, but thanks to this website I now know it might help in the boob department)!

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Difference between Vegan and Vegetarian March 31 2008, 8:25 PM 

Hi, Wahaika! Maybe this will help you understand some of the differences: http://www.ivu.org/faq/definitions.html

Tessica
(Login Tessica) Re: Difference between Vegan and Vegetarian March 31 2008, 10:19 PM 

Vegetarians do not eat meat, but may choose to eat eggs and dairy and wear animal products (like leather, etc.). Some vegetarians also eat fish, but I think most don't. Vegans do not eat or use anything that comes from an animal.

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Difference between Vegan and Vegetarian March 31 2008, 10:37 PM 

Yup, and there are different names for each of those different types of people (from the link I already gave):

Vegetarian: For the purpose of membership of IVU, vegetarianism includes veganism and is defined as the practice of not eating meat, poultry or fish or their by-products, with or without the use of dairy products or eggs.
Often broken down further into OVO-LACTO, and LACTO. Vegetarians may or may not try and minimize their non food use of animals like vegans.

Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian: same as VEGAN (see right), but also eats eggs and milk products. This is the most 'popular' form of Vegetarianism in many Western countries..

Lacto Vegetarian: Same as VEGAN, but also eats milk products.

Veggie -- Shortened nick-name for a VEGETARIAN; often includes VEGANs.

Strict vegetarian: originally meant vegan, now can mean vegan or vegetarian.

Definitions of some other confusing terms

Semi-Vegetarian: Eats less meat than average person. See also PSEUDO-VEGETARIAN.

Pseudo-Vegetarian: Claims to be vegetarian, but isn't. Often used by VEGETARIANS to describe SEMI-VEGETARIANs, and PESCETARIANs.

Pescetarian: Similar to VEGETARIAN, but also consumes fish. (often is a person avoiding factory-farming techniques...) See also PSEUDO-VEGETARIAN.

Fruitarian: Same as VEGAN, but only eats foods that don't kill the plant (apples can be picked without killing plant, carrots cannot).

Vegetable Consumer: Means anyone who consumes vegetables. Not necessarily a VEGETARIAN.

Herbivore: Mainly eats grass or plants. Not necessarily a VEGETARIAN.

Plant-Eater: Mainly eats plants. Not necessarily a VEGETARIAN.

Macrobiotic: According to Donna Secker and Stanley Zlotkin writing in Essentials of Human Nutrition, "macrobiotic diets consist of unpolished rice, pulses and vegetables with small additions of fermented foods, nuts, seeds and fruit; animal products are not consumed" (not sure about the last phrase - I thought that fish was allowed in the macrobiotic diet).

Vegan: excludes animal flesh (meat, poultry, fish and seafood), animal products (eggs and dairy), and usually excludes honey and the wearing and use of animal products (leather, silk, wool, lanolin, gelatin...).
The major vegan societies all disallow honey, but some "vegans" still use it. Some "vegans" also refuse to eat yeast products.

Dietary Vegan: follows a vegan diet, but doesn't necessarily try and exclude non-food uses of animals.

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Difference between Vegan and Vegetarian March 31 2008, 10:49 PM 

As far as I'm aware from the vegans I know it has nothing to do with how much cooked food you eat! Vegans eat no animal products at all, standard vegetarians eat no meat, poultry or fish but will have egg or milk products. People who are vegetarian for religious reasons often don't eat egg but will have milk.

I would consider myself 'strict vegetarian' as I don't eat gelatine or other animal derivatives although more recently I've relaxed this slightly as I have heard more evidence that animal rennet (but not gelatine) is acceptable for the halal diet so I occasionally eat non-veg cheese.

I think standard vegetarian is where you don't eat a meat dish but strict vegetarian is where you read the ingredients of every item you buy to check it doesn't have hidden animal fats.

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Difference between Vegan and Vegetarian March 31 2008, 10:59 PM 

Louise you can get non-veg but halal cheese too (my future hubby eats it) but it can be hard to find Smile

Jackie
(Login classyfashh) Re: Difference between Vegan and Vegetarian April 1 2008, 6:05 PM 

Who in the hell would be a Herbivore?
I am going to go outside and eat grass.

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Difference between Vegan and Vegetarian April 1 2008, 6:52 PM 

lol

marie
(no login) vegan April 13 2008, 12:19 AM 

For Vegans that follow the Hallelujah Acres guy, it does matter how much cooked food you eat. He feels our bodies digest raw food better than cooked food.
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon