Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

What are some good exercises to help build bigger hips?

Just curious what exercises any of you do to help build your hip muscles? I have a decent size booty for my size, but looking at me from the front I look kind of straight so I want to try to get a curvier look.

Thanks!!!

My favourite hip exercises are leg circles with ankle weights. I started with 2lb ankle weights but now I'm up to 10lbs with almost no problem. Wish I'd invested in heavier ankle weights. Blush

To do it, lay on a mat on your side, extend your leg straight out, and circle it (either forward or backwards). Wider circles are harder, and smaller circles are a lot easier (if you can't finish your sets, use smaller circles as little cheat reps to help you make it through).

Unfortunately, I have bad joints (I'm a plethora of health issues =_=), so sometimes I can barely make it through two sets of leg circles, even when I've been taking MSM for my joints. So just make sure you don't hurt yourself, and if you start to feel like you're about to break something, stop. Even my friend without joint problems has trouble with this exercise sometimes. So learn how to tell the difference between breaking a sweat/feeling the burn and having to just plain stop.

If it becomes to easy, you'll need to up your weights, otherwise you won't see progress. I stuck with the 2lb weights for too long and hit a plateau, but once I bought my 10lb weights I was able to do the 5lbs for a few times, then moved up to the full ten in less than a month.

Squats and donkey/curl kicks are pretty good, too, but the leg circles will work your hips mostly, while those mostly work your butt.

Well, two apsects to it, one is actual size, one is appearrance.
you'll want to focus on the less-cared-about gluteals, Medius and Minimus. Medius will make a curve towards the hips, minimus will make the crease at the butt.
Maximus will increase the major visible butt, of course. :-)

I've heard good things about hula hoops and air-hoops (IE, hip swivel), and belly dance, and yoga.
The hoop approaches increase hip flexibility.
Yoga increase flexibility, and can allow you to tone the mid section without bulking - essential for the MTF. ;-)
Belly Dance also works the stomach muscles, but not like lifting or even yoga - and will increase flexibility, and hip mobility.

Soemthing that would be interesting - needs someone with bigger cojones than I've got! - would be to simulate pregnancy with hormones, and then simulate birth. I forget the hormone's name, but it loosens the tendons of the pelvis (and everything else) to allow birth. Induce that condition during a good vacation (stay-cation, more like), and use something to pull the hips a LITTLE farther out - maybe one of those between-the-legs pillows for women, while tying the legs together at the knee? (Need to sort that it can cause clots which can cause death, so this is still obviously a risky and poorly-planned Wild-@$$ Guess of "What happens if...?")

Something like a hobble skirt used during sleep, point being to force the pelvis to reshape at slightly wider size. After all, we're looking at fractions of an inch in this game. :-)
I accept NO LIABILITY if you try this approach! Not a doctor, not a lawyer, just a dreamer and a voracious reader! :-)

Exrx.net - Hips
Exrx.net - Thighs

Go for the weighted, dumbbell, or body weight exercises.

(02-10-2012, 01:42 AM)Petitemomma Wrote:  Just curious what exercises any of you do to help build your hip muscles? I have a decent size booty for my size, but looking at me from the front I look kind of straight so I want to try to get a curvier look.

Thanks!!!
-------------------------------------------------------
See my post #10 under "Exercise":

http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=21578

<3 POM

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon