Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
Thread Closed

what is my bra size???? so confused!

what is my bra size???? so confused!
January 19 2008 at 10:43 PM lila (no login)

hi girls. i have a bit of a problem. i don't understand how to calculate my brasize. these are my measurements
underbust: 33 inches
over nipples: 39 inches
above breasts: 33 inches

i know i am supposed to add 4inches for the band size and then subtract it from the 39 inches but that means i should be 38A and when i try on bras like these they are too big on the band and the cup is not big enough.
what do u girls think.

Author Reply
Louise
(Login Louise1982)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: what is my bra size???? so confused!
January 20 2008, 8:53 AM

By calculation you're right you should be 38A but if that doesn't fit as you're between band sizes try a 36B and 36C. If you're between band sizes the calculators put you up a size, I get a better shape, fit and support by going down a band size but then you'll need to go up one or two cups. (Smaller cups will give more cleavage but will flatten you a bit if you're more covered up so it depends what you want to wear). You should get a bra that is a snug fit on the loosest hook so that as the elastic gets older you can use a tighter hook rather than getting a saggy fit.

Fennel Fairy
(Login fennelfairy)
January 20 2008, 8:54 AM

I put your figures in a bra size calculator
http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php

...And got 38E!!!!
Are you sure these measurements are correct?

Galia
(Login galiaig) Re: what is my bra size???? so confused!
January 20 2008, 7:13 PM

Hi lila,

Your cup size should be calculated using your original cup measurement (over nipples: 39 inches) and band measurement(underbust: 33 inches):

In your case 39-33=6 inches difference equal to E cup (European) or DDD cup (USA). Fennel Fairy is right you have an E cup, not A (no wonder why the A cup is not enough).

As for the band measurement Louise is right - go one band size down and try 36E or 36DD for perfect fit, or 36C and 36D for more cleavage.

This is what I used for the calculations: http://lingerie.clothesbest.com/informat...charts.htm

Tori
(Login Tori365)
January 20 2008, 7:36 PM

Hi, I don't understand the previous 2 posts as that seems wrongly worked out!!

I put your measurements into:
http://www.figleaves.com/us/sizing/sizing_guide.asp

and it came out with 38B, that should be fairly accurate.

I also use debenhams size chart:
http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stor...1_60051_-1

as this is standard UK measurements and you still come out as a 38B

so I should say accurately you're a 38B, this would explain why your cups are too small in an A.

Hope that helps!

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
January 20 2008, 8:21 PM

Sorry, Tori's right it should be 38B, 6 inches difference is a C cup, but you're between band sizes so if you go up you'll want the smaller cup or down to use a bigger cup. Most online bra calculators are rubbish! (they're worse if you're between sizes too)

Galia
(Login galiaig) Re: what is my bra size???? so confused!
January 20 2008, 9:39 PM

6 inches difference is a DDD cup (USA) or E cup (UK), not a C cup, no way

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
January 20 2008, 9:49 PM

6 inches difference between the band size and cup size would be E, but that's not her band size it's her underbust. You add 4-5 inches to the underbust to get the band (whichever gives an even number).

Black Sheep
(Login madboobie)
January 20 2008, 9:57 PM

I read somewhere that nowadays it is more accurate to add 3 inches to your underbust measurement to get the band size, as the 4-5 inches thing stems from the days when bra elastic was tougher and didn't have so much give in it!

This works for me as with the 4-5 addition of inches I'd be 34, but in fact this rides up and 32 is a lot better! (And I am not a really skinny build, no way.)

Just thought I'd add my two pennorth, as they say.....

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
January 20 2008, 10:03 PM

Madboobie - that's great, I totally agree. I was 27.5-28 under and wore a 32B, now I've lost weight (and gone up to 32C), I'm about 26.5 under which is obviously closer to 30 band but I didn't think you could get adult bras in a 30 band, then I found Freya - they're great and because I've gone down a bandsize I need a bigger cupsize which technically takes me into the 'fuller bust' bras. A 30D is quite tight but haven't got DD, the 30E I have isn't full especially on the right. 30E seems pretty much the same as 32D and slightly smaller than 34C. The cups on the small bands are definitely smaller but the cups on the Freya bras come up really high so they gather everything near the armpit. You'll probably need to go up at least 1 cupsize on the tiny bands if not 2 but at least this means you can get the 'fuller bust' bras which have nice styles and no padding. It's weird because I'm not skinny either, just small ribs I suppose!

kieyah
(Login kieyah)
January 21 2008, 2:35 AM

Louise, does freya have a website? I am really needing new bras and i have breast tissue up in my armpit area so would like to look into these.

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
January 21 2008, 4:24 PM

My ribs are 28 and I feel like they are soo big I hate it... maybe its because my breasts are so small though that it just distorts everything... You girls are so lucky!

This message has been edited by Hopeful88 on Jan 21, 2008 4:25 PM

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
January 21 2008, 6:40 PM

Kieyah - just put freya bras into google and you'll get lots of online stockists. I definitely got a better choice of sizes in a department store but you'll have to have a look at what you've got locally. I think the cups may be quite small but that may be because of the small band size I tried, if I try a 32D and it fits then I know they're small but because of the swelling I have to buy bras to try them on at night so I haven't tried many. Another great thing about a 30 band is finally the cups are close together so I have boobs that project forwards rather than being wide.

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
January 21 2008, 7:06 PM

There isn't one method of cup size measuring that works for everyone. That is because some have slightly more cone chaped ribcage while others slightly more cylindrycal. I'm an A cup and there are charts that say I'm DD. The best way to find out what your cup size is is to go to a store and try on bras.

lila
(Login lila_baby) Re: what is my bra size???? so confused!
January 21 2008, 8:31 PM

THANX girls i'm off shopping for bras this weekend so i'll take my time trying on various sizes.
thanx for the info.

lilmama40
(no login) Re: what is my bra size???? so confused!
January 21 2008, 9:21 PM

Bra sizes vary among different brands just like clothes, I can wear a B cup in some brands and a C cup in others, so I try not to get too hung up on the numbers and letters. Try different things on and what feels comfortable is what you should go with. :-)
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon