Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Anyone have birth control recomedations?

I need to go get bc in a couple days I wanted to get one with the best shot of gaining some chest size. Is the best bet to get the bc with the highest progesterone and estrogen? Anyone have a name brand that you could rec? thanks

Hi,

I am on the mirena iud & I can't tell u how painful it was.

U could go for a pill that has both, or hopefully someone may reply.

If u search the net for pills that have progesterone in then - I know you want the progesterone that is NOT the one in the depo-provera shot which is medroxyprogesterone acetate.

One method could be to go for the copper coil as it had no hormones so you can then have nothing interfering with herbs you are taking. Warning: it really hurts & I've had spotting since insertion late October so not great if you are in a new relationship.

Hi thanks so much for the suggetions. Do you man the IUD hurt to put in? I m not sure whethr to go the hormne route from bcp/meds or from herbs guess I have to figure that out first, so much infomation to learn!

It really hurt to put in. I had seen the nurse the week before about it, and she forgot to tell me to take paracetamol and ibuprofen 2 hours before appointment.

I spent all day on the sofa and taking painkillers and actually had a contraction where my womb thought there was something to get rid of.

Was better the next day, but take the day off if you have one of them.

I also have the Mirena IUD. If you haven't had a pregnancy, the insertion will be quite uncomfortable (medicate first). Also, the first six months you may have spotting between periods and/or heavier periods, but that doesn't last.

If you already have heavy periods, I wouldn't suggest Paraguard (copper IUD), as it will make them heavier. Since Mirena releases progesterone into your system, it's a good choice if you're estrogen dominant [as I am].

I took two Tylenol an hour before my appointment, and two a couple of hours after. I had no complications; then again, I've hade a pregnancy (slightly larger uterus), and a doctor with enough experience and good technique.

I was actually considering an IUD, so the Mirena is better than Paraguard in your ladies opinions? My insurance covers IUDs Big Grin and I don't plan on having a baby for some time, 2 years or more, so thought it would be my best option as I always forget to take the pill at the right time of day and I was using Nuva Ring but it's pricey and my insurance doesn't cover it.

[quote='Anastasia916' pid='65667' dateline='1357446942']
I was actually considering an IUD, so the Mirena is better than Paraguard in your ladies opinions? My insurance covers IUDs Big Grin and I don't plan on having a baby for some time, 2 years or more, so thought it would be my best option as I always forget to take the pill at the right time of day and I was using Nuva Ring but it's pricey and my insurance doesn't cover it.
[/quote/]

IUDs are good if you:
Don't want to remember to take a pill;
Don't want babies for a while (they're effective for 5-10 years);
Are in a monogamous relationship and aren't too concerned about STDs.

Most insurers will happily cover IUDs because they're the next best thing to tying your tubes. Their failure rate is literally less than 1 percent.

As far as Paraguard vs. Mirena, I chose Mirena, for several reasons:
Paraguard makes your periods heavier as a side effect; Mirena does the opposite. In most cases, your period will stop sometime in the first year.
Mirena slowly releases progesterone into your system over a 5-year period, which I saw as a plus, since I'm estrogen dominant. Mirena actually lists breast enlargement as a possible side effect (whoo hoo!).
When you want to get pregnant, just have it removed. It doesn't affect ovulation, so you won't have to wait too long to try and conceive.
Paraguard is a metal IUD with copper wire wrapped around it (the copper kills sperm). It's effective for 10 years, but I decided against it because it causes heavier periods. That totally did not interest me! lol
Full disclosure: if you get an IUD, you will likely have some spotting for the first couple of months. After that, you'll be okay. Insertion can be painful if you haven't been pregnant before. I have, so I took two Tylenol before and I was fine. A doctor who's not a newbie at insertions is worth his/her weight in gold. Just remember to relax and breathe deeply.Wink

I think that's everything.

I hate it when a perfectly good post vanishes into the ether! lol

To recap, IUDs are good when you:
Don't want to have kids for a while
Don't want to remember to take a pill or insert something; and
Are in a monogamous relationship and aren't concerned about STDs.

Insurers are delighted to pay for IUDs, because they're the next best thing to tubal ligations. Their failure rate is literally <1%.
Paraguard works by killing sperm via the copper wire, while Mirena releases hormones to thin the uterine lining. Paraguard is effective for 10 years, while Mirena is good for 5 to 7 years.

As far as Paraguard vs. Mirena, I thought Mirena offered several advantages:
Mirena makes your periods lighter to nonexistent, while Paraguard does the opposite;
Mirena releases progesterone into your uterus over several years, and actually lists breast enlargement as a possible side effect (yes!);
Mirena doesn't affect ovulation, so if you want to conceive, just have it removed.

Most docs won't tell you IUDs aren't really recommended for women who haven't been pregnant before. After a pregnancy, the uterus is slightly larger, making insertion easier. If you haven't ever been pregnant before, the insertion REALLY hurts. If you have, it's a little uncomfortable. Pop two Tylenol or Advil an hour before your appointment, breathe deeply, and you should be okay. I have, so I self-medicated, relaxed, and it was over before I knew it. I took a couple more pills about three hours afterwards, and that was it.
Some spotting after insertion is normal for the first few months. After that, everything should settle down.
I think that's everything.

justalittlemore, so you have the mirena, how long have you had it, and are your periods still regular?

(06-01-2013, 06:31 AM)Anastasia916 Wrote:  justalittlemore, so you have the mirena, how long have you had it, and are your periods still regular?

I had it inserted in mid-August, and I spotted for a couple of months. I haven't had a period since November, and I am rather enjoying it.Big Grin

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon