Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

My friend is losing her hair, please help.

My friend just told me that she lost a large clump of hair and has been diagnosed with Alopecia! She is freaking out. What are some of the best herbs and alternative remedies she can take. Hopefully something to stop the hair loss and something to kickstart some new healthy hair growth.

Thanks!

(18-01-2013, 08:22 PM)JennyA Wrote:  My friend just told me that she lost a large clump of hair and has been diagnosed with Alopecia! She is freaking out. What are some of the best herbs and alternative remedies she can take. Hopefully something to stop the hair loss and something to kickstart some new healthy hair growth.

Thanks!

I would imagine the hormone tests would detect the underlying issue such as androgens or free running T (unbound), bound, etc.

I would hope it is from unbalanced hormones. If so, it should be reversible.

So many herbs to look into. SP is one of them. Chinese medicine would be good to look into also. I knew a girl who was tore up from the floor up with alopecia and and high androgen activity in the body, she was manish, balding and thin haired where she wasn't bald and her whole hormonal system was off.

She sought Chinese treatment and 4 months later, she was a new woman and quite stunning. we could barely recognize her. A totally different and feminine version of herself. Thin and no longer stubby limb. Hair returned. It can be done. You just have to find out your friend's cause for alopecia.

As tibetan said, she needs to find the underlying cause first. Once that's taken care of, there are other supplements she can take to stimulate faster hair regrowth.

Right now, I'm taking MSM to grow my hair longer. I'm also trying to avoid pulling my hair back into ties, as this causes more hair loss and breakage (I pulled my very short hair back for a few days this week, and lost SOOOO much hair in the shower! As short as MOST of the hair on my head is, this is terrifying xD). Uh, I know collagen helps make hair softer and stronger, but I'm not sure if it grows it any faster...

Tell your friend to avoid heat styling, too much product, and hair dyes and perming/straightening processes. She needs to preserve the hair she has while she tries to figure out how to revers the hair loss. Sad

Wish I was more helpful! My friend is hypothyroid and loses hair like crazy. Her hair is already so thin, and she loses so much in the hair brush every day. I'm amazed she still has hair on her head. Everytime I dye or cut her hair, I actually have trouble giving her the styles she wants because of how sparse her hair is. But she's proof that you can lose a LOT of hair for years and still make it look good (she just can't do too drastic layers or achieve a lot of bounce). So hopefully she can figure out her cause before she really needs to worry about it.

Hi there.
I have found that massaging the head with ginger, even just economic ginger powder in water, causes great fast change even for my friend who had a receding hairline. I think cinnamon does the same. Good luck.

Addressing the underlying cause is critical. Many people don't know, for example, that blood pressure medications [among others] can cause hair loss. If it's temporary, your friend can try supplementing with silica, biotin, and MSM. Silica is essential for collagen formation, which is part of hair, skin, nails, and bones. The biotin is effective by itself in promoting cellular growth, but its effects are multiplied by adding MSM. MSM is important because it promotes the formation of keratin, which helps build healthy hair. If you don't want to get several different vitamins/minerals, Hair Factors by Twinlab is a good off-the-shelf supplement that will help grow strong, healthy hair. I've used it in the past.

I'm sorry to hear about that and alopecia is not something I'm very familiar with, but I did a google search of longhaircommunity forum which you may want to check out.

All the best for your friend!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon