Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Thicker hair?

Anybody have tips for thicker hair?

My hair is just a baby fine, thin mess. Oi.

(25-06-2013, 06:15 PM)Ginger Wrote:  Anybody have tips for thicker hair?

My hair is just a baby fine, thin mess. Oi.

- No heat (no blowdryers, flat irons or hot curlers, etc.)
- If possible, do not colour or highlight hair. If you must, don't do it very often and always apply a generous amount of virgin coconut oil to scalp and hair first (this reduces damage.)
- Try Cassia. It is a green powder that you mix with hair conditioner and/or oil such as coconut or olive, apply to scalp and hair, cover with shower cap or plastic bag, wait a few hours (or overnight), rinse. This will thicken hair. It is natural so you can use Cassia once a month or even more frequently to help thicken up your hair.
-If you like red hair, you can use henna to condition and thicken up your hair.
-Castor oil can help grow / thicken hair but it is sticky and thick so mix it with a lighter oil such as olive or jojoba before you apply to scalp.
-Rosemary essential oil is said to help re-grow hair. Don't apply full-strength. Dilute it with a light oil first before applying to scalp.
-Try using CO method to wash hair (conditioner only) which is not using shampoo. This has helped thicken my hair as shampoo is harsh and strips your hair. In the shower, I apply a generous amount of conditioner to wet hair and scalp and gently rub your scalp like it was shampoo. Do this for a few minutes, rinse. Then apply conditioner again (the same one or a different one if you like) and leave it for 5 min, rinse. Rinse hair with a bottle you made with a tablespoon of vinegar (either apple cider or white vinegar) and distilled water. This helps seal your hair cuticles and make it shinier.
- Try a catnip rinse: boil some water, turn off heat, add a pinch of catnip (buy at any pet store but get one that says it's organic), wait 4 hours, strain and pour into clean spray bottle. Spray on hair after your conditioner in the shower, rinse. I like to do this right before the vinegar rinse.
-After a wash, treat wet hair very gently, it can break off easily when wet. Add a bit of leave-in conditioner, then seal with a bit of oil such as jojoba, coconut, argan, etc but only use a drop or two or your hair will be greasy.

All of the above has helped my hair go from baby fine, thin to healthy and thicker. My hair is now past bra strap level and on it's way to mid back level.

Good luck!
xx

I also use cassia. If you are very blonde, be careful. Your hair could become a little bit green. And be sure to mix it wih oil etc. I didn't do this once and my hair was very dry and i almst couldn't brush it.

I agree with everything above.I like taking msm up to 10g a day and it makes my hair grow faster and thinking. I think it along biotin.

1. Garlic shampoo for hair fall. The instructions on my bottle say to use everyday the first five days, and 2-3 times a week afterwards.

2. Rinse your hair with sulfur water. Mix a tiny amount of msm with water, like 250cc of powder to a 3 cups of water. Then rinse your scalp, and scalp only with the solution. You can do this after you shampoo and before you condition.

3. Put some water on the stove and wait till it's boiling. Then reduce the heat and add a few sprigs of rosemary. Let that simmer for a few minutes, until the water is golden but don't let the rosemary burn. Rinse your hair with this after conditioner and don't rinse it out. I'd only recommend this if you have dark hair or don't mind darker hair.

4. Polysorbate-80 can block DHT so it's good if your thickness is related to hair fall. I'm assuming you can differentiate between breakage(no bulb) and actual hair loss(bulb attached). Moving right along, polysorbate-80 is also an emulsifier so I mix it with castor oil, almond oil, and about 15 drops of rosemary essential oil. You don't have to add it, but I add the polysorbate-80 because I want the oil to rinse out easy. As an extra omph to the oil you could add garlic extract but it's usually smelly and I've never tried.

5. I've heard people have good results with Jamaican Black Castor Oil, like actual thickening of the strands and more growth around the hairline. I haven't tried it, but I plan on doing so soon.

6. Henna can thicken the strands but it won't do so dramatically and you can't expect your ponytail circumference to go from 1in to 4 inches. That's impossible, unfortunately. But you can slightly thicken the strands. If you do use henna, I recommend rinsing with the garden hose because it's so hard to get out and it's less messy to do so outside.

7. Take your vitamins! I hate to say something so cliche but if your body is in good running order, then your hair will do what it's supposed to do, which is grow. So get plenty of sleep, avoid stress, exercise plenty, etc.. I know it's hard to have a healthy active lifestyle, at least for me it is. But for the sake of your hair, be healthy! On an important side note, avoid cheap supplements. They don't have to be expensive vitamins formulated for hair but they should be food-based. That way all the nutrients have a better chance of absorbing.

Think of it this way, the only reason long thick beautiful hair is so attractive is because it's a physical marker of the history of our health. From an evolutionary standpoint, a woman's long healthy hair would say she's been well nourished for years and is most capable of producing healthy offspring. So I come to the conclusion, you can't have good hair if you're in bad health.

Shitty health=shitty hair.
Good health=healthy hair.

Thin hair has to due with genetics, you can use products to make your hair appear more full of body. But it wont actually make your hair thicker, nothing you put on your head will change what comes out of it.

You can however try cutting your hair in layers and blowing it out to give it more volume so it'll look thicker.

I'm hearing that, besides MSM, coconut oil helps a LOT if you smooth it all over your hair and comb it through. Not sure how much to use, though.

Pardon me if this is repetitive since I have put it to another thread, but let me again advocate ginger.
To some extent, yes, putting ginger on your head does thicken your hair, sometimes quite dramatically and it can even help to reverse baldness! Cinnamon has a similar result, though it can cause a color change in the hair, it being a mild dye.
My family got this tip from a friend. I have passed that tip onto others. I actually used this on a guy friend's head. He was like, "Sure, why not." Within a week, he had fuzz in the formerly shiny forehead areas. My friend Jenn originally got this tip because her baby was three years old, a girl, and still bald. Within a week, she had an inch of hair. She then used it and regrew the hair that had thinned terribly after her pregnancies. I think she said it is actually thicker now then before. And it's not required to continue use. Bonus, it smells nice and then goes away.
So, I is simple as making some sort of ginger tea. I got powdered ginger from the dollar store, Smile thrifty as I am, and made it in a tea (not boiled, just to blend better with water). I think fresh ginger and ginger essential oil might also work.
Good luck and remember to look to nature. I think garlic is another alternative, but it is kinda smelly, though tasty Big Grin

(20-01-2014, 08:51 AM)char Wrote:  Pardon me if this is repetitive since I have put it to another thread, but let me again advocate ginger.
To some extent, yes, putting ginger on your head does thicken your hair, sometimes quite dramatically and it can even help to reverse baldness! Cinnamon has a similar result, though it can cause a color change in the hair, it being a mild dye.
My family got this tip from a friend. I have passed that tip onto others. I actually used this on a guy friend's head. He was like, "Sure, why not." Within a week, he had fuzz in the formerly shiny forehead areas. My friend Jenn originally got this tip because her baby was three years old, a girl, and still bald. Within a week, she had an inch of hair. She then used it and regrew the hair that had thinned terribly after her pregnancies. I think she said it is actually thicker now then before. And it's not required to continue use. Bonus, it smells nice and then goes away.
So, I is simple as making some sort of ginger tea. I got powdered ginger from the dollar store, Smile thrifty as I am, and made it in a tea (not boiled, just to blend better with water). I think fresh ginger and ginger essential oil might also work.
Good luck and remember to look to nature. I think garlic is another alternative, but it is kinda smelly, though tasty Big Grin

How much time do you have to put in on your hair ? I think I´m going baldSad

Well, if you are worried about your hair, I am wondering about the condition of your scalp. Or could it be hormonal? Women that have a lot of testosterone sometimes face thinning hair issues because of increased DHT, I think. About your scalp, what products do you use? How much do you process your hair? How sensitive is your scalp to certain styles like tight pony tails or wearing hats? And another consideration is your level of stress. Stress can manifest physical effects in/on the body, like hair fall.

So feel free to gently massage some ginger mixture into your scalp. Make it a nice head massage routine, maybe even twice a day. Then just leave it on until you wash your hair. A lot of people wash their hair too much because they are afraid it will be unclean. But stylists say to only wash with soap products about once a week, if at all. Even the fancy shampoos can be harsh because they have lots of chemicals and detergents. If you must, just rinse your hair, or only use conditioner or baking soda (again, not too often because baking soda is a cleanser and a little bit abrasive). And apply some nice oil to your hair about 30 minutes before washing on shampoo days (to protect it from chemical stripping from the detergents in the shampoo). It is not good for hair to be too "clean."

Maybe after putting the ginger on the scalp (perhaps start with just ginger for a couple of weeks), you can later lightly apply something like pure (extra virgin, organic, unprocessed if possible) coconut oil, almond, or olive oil and leave this on scalp between cleaning. Some oils (when moderately applied, will absorb and seal the hair without making hair greasy, like good quality coconut. The scalp loves and needs oil. We take it away with washing and detergents, we must replace it and nourish the scalp.
Well, I hope that helps. I did use heavy commercial products on my hair to straighten it, because I have pure, stubborn hair ( I was born in Africa). It did cause damage, even hair loss, and I suffered terrible burns from some things. One time, I had open wounds on my head. It was bleeding, I couldn't sleep for three days, and then I combed scabs out for about a month. All of that for beauty and convenience. I treat my scalp much better now and have healthier hair in general.
Good luck to y'all. Oh! Love your hair first anyway, so that you treat it in a loving way. Even I have to remember that after I get a workout combing my hair for maybe an hour sometimes. I have absolutely the tightest, curliest hair possible. Even my mother struggled with it a bit. But I am glad to have it thick like a tiny protective helmet on my head. Keeps my head dry sometimes and keeps me warm in the mountains. Smile

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon