Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Protein Drink Dangers: Investigation Finds Several Protein Powders and Protein Drinks

I saw a bad report at Consumer Magazine a while ago regarding these protein powders. The best protein supplement's still the Oatmeal, Chicken breast, Steak, Salmon and Orgain Milk shake Smile

http://www.musclemagfitness.com/nutritio...works.html

Here is the excerpt:

A new Consumer Reports Investigation on protein powders and protein finds that some ready-to-drink protein powders and protein liquids are contaminated with dangerous metals that pose serious health risks and can have toxic effects on the body's organs.

The Consumer Reports investigation appearing in Consumer Report's July issue, included the testing of 15 protein drinks, as well as a review of government documents and interviews with health and fitness experts, and consumers.

The report found that most people already get enough protein and that even people who do not can find "far better and cheaper ways to add more protein to their diet if it's needed."

All 15 of the protein drinks tested by Consumer Reports had one or more the following contaminants: arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury.

Specifically, "Consumer Reports" found that Muscle Milk Chocolate, Muscle Milk Vanilla Crème and EAS Myoplex Original Rich Dark Chocolate can expose users to elevated levels of heavy metals when they consume three servings a day.

If consumed in excess, arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury can have toxic effects on the body and its organs. Chronic, low-level exposure to heavy metals can build up in the body and cause serious health conditions, including but not limited to central nervous system damage, reproductive damage, organ failure and even death.

Many of these products are making in China or Mexico which make me very nervous to consume it. Couple years ago, china manufacturer got bust for making milk powder with large amount of lead & mercury that caused infants collapsed.

Here's a fun comparison...

Ensure Milk primary ingredients: Water, Sugar, Corn Maltodextrin, Milk Protein Concentrate, Soy Oil, Canola Oil, Soy Protein Concentrate, Corn Oil,

Snickers bar primary ingredients: SUGAR, COCOA BUTTER, CHOCOLATE, SKIM MILK, LACTOSE, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN,ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, MILKFAT, SKIM MILK, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL

So for the health conscious mind NBE, the recommendation is 'reading and common sense'.

Anything you are going to gulfing down, try to read the ingredient list. They are required by law to list ingredients ordered by quantity.

If sugar is one of the 4 first items, it is a candy bar. So for the Ensure Milk which supposed what Doctors recommended for Sick elderly and malnutrious patients (like me), the sugar is the second. the 3rd is corn sugar (corn maltodextrin, corn syrup). so now you get the idea of the fast food / can food world we currently live in that caused the early puberty + alarming obesity rate.

-V

I'd love a link that works. The link you provided is to an article about the dangers of creatine, which I've already remarked about in the thread you and lookingforward are being silly in.

BTW. Protein scares are funny. Cuz. No one professional uses ANY of the brands you just named in your excerpt.

No one who does any homework uses any of those brands. Even if they're amateurs.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon