Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

What do you think?

I am Estrogen Dominant with PCOS. I've been researching and reading, not asking many questions for months now because I don't want to be a newbie asking silly/repeated questions. I've come up with this NBE plan for myself and would like some second opinions on whether I've missed anything.

2000mg Saw Palmetto to block my testosterone levels
2000mg Vitex to help with Progesterone levels
1000mg Pueraria Mirifica for Estrogen
3000mg Evening Primrose Oil for the GLA in it
3000mg Fenugreek to help with Prolactin

Massage twice daily as well.

Anything that I might be missing? I'm also on Yazmin to treat and regulate my PCOS.

I wonder why everyone uses around 2,000 mg of everything regardless of what it is. Some things are chili peppers and some things are watermelons, y'know?
  • 320 mg saw palmetto *extract* is popular to lower DHT testosterone. 2000 mg whole herb (not extract) is a little weaker I think but still something.
  • 2000 mg vitex will lower prolactin which may lower progesterone. 40-125 mg vitex will raise prolactin which might raise progesterone. For that matter even if you wanted to lower prolactin (not that you do), 500 mg vitex would be plenty for that.
  • 1000 mg PM is a rather high amount of estrogen. It may aggravate PCOS. You might want to start with 500 mg or less and see if you come out ok before trying more.
  • I could never find much concrete information on evening primrose oil.
  • Fenugreek contains steroidal saponins that affect estrogen, progesterone, luteinizing hormone, prolactin and insulin. It combines well with all of these both naturally occuring and herbal. 2,000-25,000+ mg is good, though large amounts can cause an upset stomach unless you get sprouts, extract or tea.
  • Yazmin provides progestin (similar to progesterone) and estrogen. The progestin is probably why it helps PCOS. That and its particular progestin has a minor anti-testosterone effect too.
Progesterone cream could help you with progesterone. It's also far stronger than vitex or fenugreek for this. So the PM won't so easily overwhelm it like it overwhelms everything else which makes you more estrogen dominate with worse PCOS. You may still take vitex for prolactin. You may still take fenugreek since it combines quite well with progesterone, prolactin and estrogen (and with progesterone cream, vitex and PM).

Saw Palmetto is also entirely worthless for most women. And could potentially be harmful to both women and men. If you need something to help with reducing testosterone, I recommend for women, spearmint in almost every case. Some cases I MIGHT suggest other things, but not often.

EDIT: Missed the PCOS at first, sorry. Try Pygeum instead of SP.

(14-12-2013, 01:02 AM)AbiDrew85 Wrote:  Saw Palmetto is also entirely worthless for most women. And could potentially be harmful to both women and men. If you need something to help with reducing testosterone, I recommend for women, spearmint in almost every case. Some cases I MIGHT suggest other things, but not often.

Does spearmint more beneficial to men ? I use SP for suppresion of testorone .

(14-12-2013, 01:52 AM)mymoobs Wrote:  
(14-12-2013, 01:02 AM)AbiDrew85 Wrote:  Saw Palmetto is also entirely worthless for most women. And could potentially be harmful to both women and men. If you need something to help with reducing testosterone, I recommend for women, spearmint in almost every case. Some cases I MIGHT suggest other things, but not often.

Spearmint works well for both, though men tend to need more. I personally am presently using a combination of spearmint, chinese skullcap. 6 grams each a day, split into 3 doses of 2 grams. If you'd like to use something targeted more towards dht, then I suggest pygeum rather than sp at this point.

I've been hearing this lately about SP a lot here but all the studies I've seen show a high safety record on SP. And traditionally it has a long history of use for NBE in women. Do you have a link to some kind of new information?

(14-12-2013, 03:26 AM)AbiDrew85 Wrote:  

Spearmint works well for both, though men tend to need more. I personally am presently using a combination of spearmint, chinese skullcap. 6 grams each a day, split into 3 doses of 2 grams. If you'd like to use something targeted more towards dht, then I suggest pygeum rather than sp at this point.

Thx abi xx

(14-12-2013, 03:26 AM)AbiDrew85 Wrote:  

Abi I know you are far more informed compared to us ameatures , but can't find any refrence as to pygeum is more effective than SP if at all I read it other way !! Can you enlighten plz

Only just realised that people had replied, thank you! I was taking what I thought were the right doses, according to the bottles. Apparently 2000 is far too high for SP and I've since lowered it to 350mg. Is Spearmint better than SP?

Waiting on PC at the moment. Can't buy it in Aus easily. Have to get it overseas. Sad. Can't wait to add it to my NBE plan!

@surferjoe2007:

You seem to know much more than me about all this. I started to take Vitex during luteal phase last month. I take 4 mg extract every day for about 10-14 days. Do you think this is ok? It's much less, than you wrote, but it's an extract...does this make a difference?

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon