Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Leg Pains? Shortness of Breath?

Well, I know that added estrogens can artificially elevate TSH levels, so if I were you I would give it a few weeks and retest again after the added estrogens are cleaned out of your system.

My TSH showed borderline high at the time, but recently it tested perfectly normal. Most doctors won't prescribe you anything unless its really high and your T4 numbers are off as well, though. It very well could be your thyroid, but best not to start taking something that could render it even more inactive, and that you'd have to take for the rest of your life at that point. Best to err on the side of caution even if it does turn out to be one of the underlying issues.

About the birth control pill, I'm guessing that's an estrogen based brand and not a progesterone based brand? They make both kinds.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention...zinc functions as an anti-androgen. That means that although it is beneficial to your overall health, it could boost the effectiveness of whatever estrogens exist in your body. This would be a good thing in terms of breast growth if your E levels were reasonable to begin with, but considering you were taking PM as well it could compound your issues with thick blood/e dominance.

Everything's a double edged sword when it comes to bio-chemistry lol.

Ah well, its all guesswork based on symptoms at this point. Blood testing and how much the SOB(shortness of breath) improves in the next few weeks will probably be the best way to figure out what the problem/problems were.

Ok, I looked up Belara, and its main ingredient seems to be ethinyl estradiol.

Eww. everything I have read about this particular form of estradiol in the past has been bad. It's Estrone chemically altered to prevent the liver from detoxifying it as well, and this makes it last far longer in the bloodstream. So it's more prone to build up in the body than other forms of estradiol.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/112735...e-effects/

Skin Reactions

During treatment with Belara, women can experience skin reactions as a side effect, explains Drugs.com. Skin discoloration, acne, hair loss or unusual hair growth have been reported as side effects of this form of contraception. If these side effects do not resolve during the first three months of treatment, a doctor should be contacted for additional guidance and care.

The loss of hair stands out to me.

Maybe you should change your BC medication, this stuff can't be helping matters. Given your concerns about E dominance, something progesterone based would be great. Then again, it could merely be the combination of this drug and PM. Perhaps just dropping the PM will help with the SOB. Time will tell.

Oh Sarah, now I really feel like I know NOTHING haha, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me and being so helpful!

I didn't know that about zinc, that would boost the estrogen, but I always thought I had a zinc deficiency because everytime, without fail, I started taking zinc my health was so much better and my nails would grow.
Now a little bit of background:
I'm 23 years old. I started taking Belara when I was only 15 because I had severe cystic acne and very oily skin and hair. Ever since I've been trying to quit it but I just can't. Actually I remember that last year, on april, I didn't take it to see what would happen: in just 2 weeks my skin was covered in acne and it was like i had a mask of oil. Also my hair was awful, too oily. But the real problem came after: my severe cramps came back, it was a day I won't ever forget, I thought I was going to die because of the pain. That's why I never stopped it! The thing that scared me the most was how fast my acne came back the times I gave up. It was a matter of days!

So what I started doing in august last year: I would take 1 pill of PM everynight for 15 days, then I would stop and would start again after my period with the first pill from that new cicle. I read a lot about taking PM with BC last year before I started, and didn't see anything about blood cloths Sad
But I have to agree with you, all you said makes sense, maybe it's time for me to change my BC since I can't quit it. I need to go to the doctor. What you said really hit me
"Eww. everything I have read about this particular form of estradiol in the past has been bad. It's Estrone chemically altered to prevent the liver from detoxifying it as well, and this makes it last far longer in the bloodstream. So it's more prone to build up in the body than other forms of estradiol."
That's so bad!!!!!!

Quick update: I'm feeling better actually, still having shotness of breath but less than last week. I'm having something that I never had, constipation :/. I really think the estrogen dominance took over and elevated my TSH levels, just like you said.

I was doing so many things wrong and I would never know untill you pointed them out, it was only a matter of time untill something happen...

(18-04-2014, 04:05 PM)KhloeM Wrote:  Oh Sarah, now I really feel like I know NOTHING haha, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me and being so helpful!

I didn't know that about zinc, that would boost the estrogen, but I always thought I had a zinc deficiency because everytime, without fail, I started taking zinc my health was so much better and my nails would grow.
Now a little bit of background:
I'm 23 years old. I started taking Belara when I was only 15 because I had severe cystic acne and very oily skin and hair. Ever since I've been trying to quit it but I just can't. Actually I remember that last year, on april, I didn't take it to see what would happen: in just 2 weeks my skin was covered in acne and it was like i had a mask of oil. Also my hair was awful, too oily. But the real problem came after: my severe cramps came back, it was a day I won't ever forget, I thought I was going to die because of the pain. That's why I never stopped it! The thing that scared me the most was how fast my acne came back the times I gave up. It was a matter of days!

So what I started doing in august last year: I would take 1 pill of PM everynight for 15 days, then I would stop and would start again after my period with the first pill from that new cicle. I read a lot about taking PM with BC last year before I started, and didn't see anything about blood cloths Sad
But I have to agree with you, all you said makes sense, maybe it's time for me to change my BC since I can't quit it. I need to go to the doctor. What you said really hit me
"Eww. everything I have read about this particular form of estradiol in the past has been bad. It's Estrone chemically altered to prevent the liver from detoxifying it as well, and this makes it last far longer in the bloodstream. So it's more prone to build up in the body than other forms of estradiol."
That's so bad!!!!!!

Quick update: I'm feeling better actually, still having shotness of breath but less than last week. I'm having something that I never had, constipation :/. I really think the estrogen dominance took over and elevated my TSH levels, just like you said.

I was doing so many things wrong and I would never know untill you pointed them out, it was only a matter of time untill something happen...

Well, if the Belara is working well for you, then perhaps you should wait and see if you keep improving without the PM before you do anything rash. About the zinc, if it helps then keep doing that too. I was just saying that both could make whatever imbalance you had worse. Glad to hear you're feeling a little better though. It may take a few weeks for PM to clear out of your system totally.

Anyways, the experiences you mentioned with trying to quit Belara don't sound too unusual. After so long your body is just used to it, and it makes sense that you'd have horrible cramping/bleeding. What are you going to do if you want to have children one day? Not trying to stress you out, but you probably need to at least have the option of being able to quit.

If you do try to quit Belara again, scale down the doses slowly rather than quitting outright. That goes for anything. There are plenty of drugs that can help with Acne/oily skin. Actually, a lot of girls with that issue take Spironolactone. Which is kinda funny because it's the main anti-androgen in most FTM transgender therapies. Basically, you just need a good anti-androgen though. I'm not sure the herbal ones would be strong enough on their own.

Maybe you should wait and see if you feel better in a month or so and then check into a Progesterone based birth control method. Or not. Whatever works for you is the way to go! IF you ever want to try taking PM again though, a progesterone based brand may help to keep your hormones balanced much more than Belara would. I think combined with PM, too much E built up in your system over time, and your various symptoms are the result. Whether you want to call it thickening blood or E dominance, I suppose it's basically the same thing. Too much estrogen.

Oh, about the constipation. Get some cranberry or prune juice. LOL

Yes I agree, the 2 of them + PM wasn't a good combination, but I only realized that after you explained it to me! No, it's not stressful that you mentioned that, I actually totally agree, that's one of the reasons why I would try to take a break from Belara, it's so important to take a break.
Funny you mentioned Spironolactone, I took it for a while when I was 15, the doctor prescribed along with Belara for my acne! So last year I remembered and decided to take it again on my own (so irresponsible) but I was so dehydrated even though I was drinking more water than usual and my heartbeat wasn't normal, i was feeling dizzy, so I quit in less than a month of taking it. Same side effects I had when I was 15.
Also, now that I'm thinking, last year I was exercising a lot more, this year I started working at home, so that's probably has something to do with the fact that PM made my blood thicker or E dominance? I mean, that's what we are guessing, but if so, I guess the lack of exercise plays a part. And also because it builds up like you said, i didn't know that.

I'm feeling much better now, less shortness of breath, some days I don't even have it at all! Hair loss still happening though. But those are the only symptons. I don't even feel tired.
Tomorrow I'll be getting my results, even though I feel better I'm scared :/ I know i'm going to pass out if I get there and the lady says "well, there's something wrong with your tests..." I'm so nervous u have no idea.
I don't want to have a tyroid problem, diabetes or anything like that :/ don't wanna take any drugs.
I just want someone to tell me what you said basically "it's PM, once it's out of your system you will be fine." lol

I mean I was perfectly FINE back in january, and my hair was growing so much it bothered me, it has to be PM and the fact that my hormones went crazy after messing with it for so long.

Thanks for the support!!! I needed it so bad, I was going insane!

No problem, you're welcome. I totally know the helpless "I'm gonna die" feeling.

Exercise is great for blood circulation, so lack of it is very bad for it, which in turn worsens blood thickening. It wouldn't be the main thing causing shortness of breath though, just another contributing factor.

Don't worry too much about the tests if you can help it, more than likely they won't be able to tell you anything, but will try to throw some anxiety drugs at you anyway. Big Grin

I'm glad you're feeling better! *Hugs*

Let me know how the tests look tomorrow.

Hi!
Finally got my results, everything normal EXCEPT my hormones, because i'm not so sure:

TSH 2997 uUI/ mL

Progesterone 0,32 ng / mL

Estradiol E2 17,9 pg/mL

Estriol E3 (estrogenic hormone?) less than 0,07

Oestrone E1 57,9 pg/mL

Ferritin 30,9 ng/mL

I did the test on 04/16, the day I took my 5th pill of my BC.

This worried me "Estriol E3 less than 0,07" ?????? is that dangerous?
Also isn't my ferritin low enough so it can cause hair loss?

Exactly like u said, the rest is normal....

Wow by the quick research I did, all my hormones are showing that I'm going through menopause, is that it? lol

Also today I noticed something important: the times I didn't take PM everything would be smaller.
So today when I looked in the mirror something caught my eyes: ME EYELIDS look less swollen! I have short eyelids (almost like hooded eyes) but before I felt like my eyes were more swollen. Actually my whole face looks slimmer. My butt is signficantly smaller hahaha noticed that today!
You get used to your body and face after PM, now it's weird. I'm gonna miss my full lips
Some shortness of breath, nothing awful.

Khloe, you might be have a slight reaction to the PM or are storing water.

If you have leg pain, I would recommend going to a doctor. None of us are medical professionals.

-Bette

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon