Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Maca Journey Buddies!!

I drink coffee every morning & take maca. I don't feel that. I'm not sure that's from maca because maca gives you energy. And not the same kind of energy that coffee and energy drinks do. It's a sustained energy, it makes you feel wide awake. I mean, I know people have different reactions to things, but I haven't heard of someone feeling like this from maca.

But you need to drink more water. Half your body weight in ounces is standard (so if you weigh 120 lbs, drink 60oz of water a day). But since you're taking herbs, which are processed by your liver, you need to drink even more than that. Keep taking the maca in the morning, shoot for around 10am. And for the next two days, drink 80% of your body weight in ounces of water. If you start drinking now, you'll be able to feel the difference by tonight. You'll feel a lot better. I keep a liter bottle and just keep filling that up. It makes it easier. I know I'm supposed to drink 4 of those a day, so I just do it one at a time.

And maca takes a few days before you can start feeling it. 4-5 days sometimes, especially if you're dehydrated.

(11-08-2014, 11:55 PM)jet Wrote:  I had some raw Maca in the cupboard, I bought last year and never really enjoyed the flavour, but I am determined to use it up! I have built up to the recommended 10g since Wednesday last week. This is the one I have: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/pr...370?c=maca

I did have a sleepless night one of the days and didn't think to attribute it to the Maca. I'll keep an eye on my energy levels compared to before, and I must say I believe it's affecting my butt already Smile

10 grams = 10,000 mg. This amount is ok, especially since 10g-15g is the recommended dosage on the product. But you know people, this IS a food. People eat maca all the time. So don't freak out because 10,000 mg sounds high. Raw maca powder and gelatinized maca DO NOT HAVE THE SAME DOSAGES! Gelatinized maca is concentrated, so it's much more powerful. So it's normal to take more raw than gelatinized. Just follow the directions that are on the product YOU have. Every product is different.

Thanks for sharing this, jet Smile What time of day are you taking it?

I've been taking it at about 1pm, since I usually have a smoothie for lunch I add it to that, and have a family meal in the evening. Today however I ate lunch at a restaurant, so I will be adding it to an evening smoothie. I will try not to have it too late though!

Well if it keeps giving you problems falling asleep, try taking it in the morning with breakfast instead.

Btw- I started maca 2 days ago after my break and holy CRAP my libido is through the ROOF! Yeeeeoooow!!!

Also started feeling the boob tingles this morning, I started my fenugreek & blessed thistle back up right now.

um.. so i had really bad luck with maca today. kind of weird since i was fine with it for awhile (though often forgot to take it, so it would only be a few times a week, and i would usually just stir it into water and gulp it down fast). i had bought raw maca a few weeks ago because it was cheaper. i have since learned more about raw maca and suggest people do not buy it. it can cause gastrointestinal distress because of toxins in it, and i read that it requires more to get the benefits. also, there can be bacteria and mold in it. peruvians never eat raw maca and all the raw maca gets exported out of the country.. and companies sell it because it is cheaper for them. this is what i have read. anyway, i took 1 tsp of maca, as i normally do.. but i stirred into it my oatmeal this morning. as i was almost finished eating my bowl, i started getting some upper stomach pains, and also started to break out in a cold sweat. i went to lie down till it subsided. luckily, it only took about 20min or so to subside. i wondered if it was the maca so i googled and sure enough, this is an experience you can have with raw maca. there is also suggestion not to take it on empty stomach because it can bother your stomach, so i wonder if this was the issue because i was fine before. when i got home, i decided to roast my maca in the oven to cook it. i laid out about 2 cups in an even layer in a pan and put it in the oven at 350F. i did not preheat the oven. after about 7 or so min, i went to check and noticed smoke gushing out of the hole from one of my burners. i opened the oven door and smoke poured out! then i noticed there was actually quite a lot of smoke in my kitchen.. and also saw it floating near the ceiling towards other rooms. i quickly took the pan and took it outside, where it continued to smoke. i went inside to get some water so i could throw it on the maca as i had noticed embers burning. when i went back outside, the damn pan was kind of on fire! yes, flames! now the maca is all black, and my apartment is still smoky (i have every window open).. and i think everything is going to smell like smoke for awhile. how do i get rid of the smell, especially in my clothes and upholstery, etc.? Sad maca smells bad enough.. imagine burnt maca!

anyway, that was my day with maca. i totally don't want to take it now.. lol! i can't believe it got burned to that extent after only 7 min at 350F?? even my next door neighbours came outside to ask what was going on because they could smell smoke (and our houses are not attached). moral of the sorry is only buy gelatinized maca!!

more on maca:
http://www.simplecleanliving.com/is-maca...y-healthy/

i am scared of the stuff now and may stop.. or maybe try to finish what i have (after cooking it in the oven, but monitoring it more carefully!) and then not take anymore. my stomach is still a bit "off" and has been all day.. and all this from only 1 tsp!

what are other herbs that can help balance hormones?

First, just because someone has a bad reaction to something doesn't mean it isn't safe for most, or that everyone else will react the same. I'm sure I could easily find similar bad side effect blogs concerning 99% of the herbs people take on this forum.

Second, she consumed RAW maca, which is what gave her those side effects, then she stated many times not to consume RAW maca because of the side effects she personally had.

We've pretty much all agreed here already that organic, gelatinized maca is the best way to go.

Also, she didn't state how much raw maca she consumed and for what period of time, which in my opinion, is poor journalism. So who knows! It could have been a teaspoon a day, it could have been 2 tablespoons twice a day. She could have taken too much too soon and not eased into it, which with a lot of herbs, will give you side effects.

Either way, she had the effects from RAW maca, just as you had your effects from RAW maca. It's MUCH easier on your system, and wallet, and healthier, for you to just take organic gelatanized.

I was wondering whether it affected thyroid conditions being related to cruciferous family, but as my mother is the Hashimoto/Underactive Thyroid one and my tests didn't suggest I had inherited it, I guess I can rest assured.
I have come to like the taste of raw maca powder. Let's remember this is dried and ground, it isn't fresh raw. I started off on 5g a day and increased when no side effects had occurred, I now take 10g in the mornings either in porridge or stirred into home made hot chocolate. It has boosted my libido, given me energy (possibly too much) and erm.. lubrication. But so far I don't have any concerns! I think my booty is firming and plumping but the tape measure doesn't agree, yet. It's mainly in how I feel and I feel good.

Yes I know it is about raw maca.. but I am just sharing so people know there could be potential risks and make an informed decision. I did not know myself and had I known, I would not have bought the raw stuff. Just sharing my experience in order to help others.

I agree with Charlie girl, not everyone would have the same reaction to any of the methods used in this forum and as for maca, the raw form when roasted as it is recommended,would have a different and possibly favourable effect rather than a raw one, the same goes for a gelatinized one.
I am on day 4 of taking roasted maca, I take 1tsp in the morning, haven't had any side effects and I haven't felt a boost in energy because I still take a nap, day time. I have been dreaming a lot about intimacy though lol and my sleeping patterns have slightly improved, I couldn't sleep more than five hours straight, now I head for seven at least Big Grin I have also noticed that though I eat a lot and bigger options since I want to up my calorie intake, I don't stay full longer than expected and I seem to have gained a bit of weight. I'm starting gym again tomorrow and I think I will be upping my dose with 1more tsp and see how it goes.
I will keep tracking my journey, best of growth to you all lovies

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon