Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Hair tips

I thought of making a thread where we can share hair tips.
I'm obsessed with my hair and taking good care of it so I'm constantly trying things out. Will keep updating this thread accordingly.

I was born with thick black hair, my mom used to constantly cut it because she couldn't be bothered to brush it. Up to the age of 5, I had a boyish hair cut. Then from that age onwards, she used to always braid it, EVERY SINGLE DAY. I think that helped in keeping it thick.
When I was 15 I got lice from a friend that slept over. My mom completely freaked out. She got me the treatment for it and an hour later she went pest control on my hair! Fly spray, roach spray, you name it she tried it. I also wasn't allowed to leave the house for a week in fear that someone would find out about my "condition" haha yeah she freaked out. Needless to say all this stuff messed up my hair big time. It started falling like crazy. My poor mom felt so guilty about it. So I started taking good care of it, first thing I did was cut it really short then started using creams and oils.

I trim my hair every 3-5 weeks about an inch or two, I don't let split ends or weak hair last (you must cut it!)
Then I get a hair cut about a few inches or more, after every season, since that's when your hair is at it's weakest and falls a lot. Trimming your hair helps it grow so don't be scared, I've learnt from experience the more you cut, the faster it grows.
I use a specific oil every 5 months or so, apply it once a week on the roots (never the tips because it dries it) then I leave it over night and wash it in the morning. Since oils dry the hair, I apply a cream mask once or twice a week. I also leave it overnight then wash it.
In the summer I wash my hair every other day or once every 3 days so that id let my hair produce it's natural oil. In winter I don't wash it more than twice a week.
I don't blow dry or straighten my hair often, maybe once a month or on special occasions. It damages the hair too much.
I've done henna on my hair twice so far, it really helps strengthen the hair and prevents hair loss but it dries it so id use a lot of creams and masks to help moisten it.

Oils I've used that worked:
Argan oil
Gadayel oil (best oil I've ever tried) http://www.asqgrp.com/ar/jadayel/lengthen.html
Vatika cactus oil (local oil that youl find on amazon)

Creams/treatments I've used that worked:
Kerastase nutri-thermique
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003NHVB5A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1403090946&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

Vatika conditioning treatment
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_1_9?k=vatika+hair+products&sprefix=Vatika+ha

Vichy hair loss treatment
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000XPL0E2/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1403089550&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Oils that didn't give me any results:
Castor oil (good for eyelashes and eyebrows though)
Coconut oil
Almond oil

I'm sure I've left out many things but will modify this when I remember. This is a picture of my hair when straightened. It was much longer and thicker than that but hopefully I will restore it to it's former glory lol or atleast maintain what I have.

You have nice THICK hair, AA. Love it. Smile

Here is a pic of my hair. Unfortunately it's not thick as it used to be because since I have problems with my thyroid it sheds a lot. Sad

I cut it not so often, just every 4-5 months, but then I cut 10-12 cm.

Here is a pic from last year on a good hair day:

And here is one from 3 months ago after I cut my hair:

I wash my hair with my self made soap and use apple cider vinegar mixed with water afterwards. Sometimes I also wash it with soapnuts. I do not use any chemicals on my hair. I used to oil my hair but got lazy lately.

The texture of your hair is lovely Peggy, so soft, wish my hair was more like that. I think my natural curls is what makes it usually dry and not so soft.

My advise to you is to trim your hair about two or three inches every month and a half instead of cutting a lot every 3-4 months. Trust me youl see a huge difference in how fast and healthier itl start growing.

You both have enviable hair. Hoping and expecting to get length like yours, AA. I'm loving your texture, peggy!

AA, I actually use Vatika oil on my mom's hair. Unfortunately her hair got all snarled while it was being cared for while she was in a long-term hospital facility, and I had to pull it out until there was only about an inch left. I started oiling and massaging her scalp with the Vatika, and her hair is now a bit longer than it was even before it got all snarled up! It's also way thicker than I've ever seen it. http://www.amazon.com/Dabur-Vatika-Enriched-Coconut-Bottles/dp/B000JWM7FA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403096310&sr=8-1&keywords=vatika+oil Good stuff and so cheap!

I'm actually kind of obsessed with hair... I'd like to live in this thread. Tongue I'm black, so hair care is of the utmost importance of me, since our hair is so fragile! I'll post a picture of my hair the next time I relax it. I think right now it's the longest it's ever been in my adult life.

Would love to see your natural texture, AA.

Mines thick naturally really dark brown I lighten it but sort of dry curly like you said AA Peggy your hair does look beautiful.
I wish I could grow my hair the only thing that stops mine falling out in handfuls is coffee rinse I tried lots of expensive products but that's the only thing that worked for me.

Everyone in here has such lovely hair and I'm over here like... should I color mine again? In my defense I do hair so I am sort of addicted to changing it. All in all my hair stays pretty healthy though!

My biggest tips are-

Use thermal protection. I don't care if you are just blow drying your hair. You better spray it!

Never use hot water on your hair. It is the same as putting a hot styling tool on it with no protection.

DO NOT USE BOX COLOR. Hair stylists are not trying to take your money when we say this. Box color is unpredictable and 80 percent of the time even we can't fix it! Most of them contain vegetable or metallic dyes... I have blow dried people's hair who had box dye on it and THEIR HAIR STARTED SMOKING. NO. DO NOT DO IT. I WILL MAKE YOU GO OUT IN THE YARD AND PICK A SWITCH AND I WILL WHIP YOU WITH IT.

As for my personal routine... I've had every color under the sun. I had bright red hair when I got married then 2 weeks later decided "eh, let's see what blonde looks like." The blonde stayed until I just got sick of messing with the roots (my hair grows like a weed and I had to do my new growth every two weeks), so I chopped it off and went brunette. My hair isn't really damaged at all. I take good care of it. I use a pre-wash by Beth Minardi a few times a week as well as coconut oil hair masks. I also use a leave-in as well as a smoothing oil. I'm a total product junkie so if anyone is wanting any advice about products I am your gal lol.

Attaching two of my favorite hairs I've had. I have fine hair, but enough of it for three people. While I like it short there is just too much of it and once it grows a little it looks too bulky. :/

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks guys. Smile

Bonita, I will try the coffee rinse, thanks for this. Smile

Echapman, I like the red hair on you. Looks beautiful!

BB don't have a picture now but will take soon. Btw in the picture I posted my hair wasn't properly straightened, it gets much softer and nicer when I properly straighten it. Just wanted to show the length and thickness. & yes vatika is great!

Bonitta coffee rinse? Tell me more

Echapman any advise for dry hair?

When properly straightened [attachment=7070]

Bonita, I've read about coffee rinses! I've done tea rinses before. Great for hair that's prone to breakage and shedding (didn't help mine, though; nothing does Dodgy ).

echapman, you are so pretty. Your face is darling. Blush You'd look good with any hair color.

Very pretty, AA! Love the soft flip at the ends.

This is mine Sad well I think box dyes OK and salons sometimes messed up mine more than I did on my own.
I used to use a lot of peroxide on it I want it to get it back to my natural colour.
My hair texture is annoying naturally not soft but frizzy even when I had it natural but it probably is damaged as well from previous lightening the sun sea and swimming pool but I don't blow dry it makes it twice as big and frizzy or straighten because its easy to burn. I don't need a cut my ends are good it just looks like this is that a hair type or something I don't know, any ideas?
My bf loves my hair when its really big and frizzy though so thats sort of cute today its not too bad.
:/ don't like my face in pics but I don't mind it in real life this camera makes my eyes and boobs look uneven I'm sure its because the camera in the corner.

http://www.justgrowalready.com/2013/05/c...dding.html
I think tea makes it dryer than coffee does but I don't know bb and my hair is crazy nothing makes it neat and normal so we all got different hair I think,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon