Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Hair tips

(07-07-2014, 10:40 PM)BonitaDDs Wrote:  Blessed breasts I totally agree with you on if your hair is an unusual texture your better off learning to colour/relax it yourself mines been messed up so many times by different stylists so I know how frustrating it is having to deal with someone you pay messing up your hair.
But if you can avoid chemicals obviously that's even better.

Argh, I really can't deal with stylists. The vast majority of them just plain don't know what they're doing. I'm always astounded by it. I really don't trust them. My aunt got her license or certification or whatever it is you have to do to become one, and I let her relax my hair last year and was shocked at how damaging her practices were. Never again. It's telling that she herself has a balding hairline. I was grateful to her for doing it, but I'm good to go on my own now.

Completely agree about avoiding chemicals as much as possible. I've tried to transition off of relaxers twice now, though, and it just wasn't happening for me. I was very unhappy with my hair when I tried to go natural. I've kind of figured relaxers and relaxed hair out, and my hair and I are happier with it in its relaxed state. But natural, chemical-free hair is best in my opinion. Just not for me.

*raises hand*

My name is Emily and I am a hair stylist.

*runs away*

(07-07-2014, 10:54 PM)echapman Wrote:  *raises hand*

My name is Emily and I am a hair stylist.

*runs away*

Not judging you! Tongue

Hm. I see. Actually, I had only been to a stylist on rare occasion. We most often relaxed our hair at home. Well, I guess there might be more options to consider. I actually don't prefer straight hair. I tried relaxers of different strengths, texturizers, etc and even "natural relaxers." Those long flowing locks of waves will have to be achieved some other way. I usually trim or cut my hair every few months. Now, it is so long, it hangs down a little. It's like a contest with myself or genetics. I wonder who will win. Big Grin

Blessed breasts, yes, the same mustard that they put on hot-dogs Big Grin sounds weird, but it actually works

(08-07-2014, 07:57 AM)char Wrote:  Hm. I see. Actually, I had only been to a stylist on rare occasion. We most often relaxed our hair at home. Well, I guess there might be more options to consider. I actually don't prefer straight hair. I tried relaxers of different strengths, texturizers, etc and even "natural relaxers." Those long flowing locks of waves will have to be achieved some other way. I usually trim or cut my hair every few months. Now, it is so long, it hangs down a little. It's like a contest with myself or genetics. I wonder who will win. Big Grin

There are lots of options. I wouldn't rule anything out. Most of us don't know how to handle our own hair. Unfortunately, there's nothing intuitive about the care of it; it really is something that has to be researched and studied up on. I use a straight up, chemical-laden, extra strength relaxer. I just make sure to do the whole process in a careful, nourishing way from beginning to end.

Maybe I'll make a detailed post on how I do it, with the products I use and everything.

Sounds like you're getting somewhere! That's fab. Good luck. I think you will win! Smile

(08-07-2014, 08:01 AM)Diannette Wrote:  Blessed breasts, yes, the same mustard that they put on hot-dogs Big Grin sounds weird, but it actually works

I've been doing research on hair care since I was quite young, and I've never encountered this! You learn something new everyday! Going to go look some stuff up on this now. Big Grin Thanks for cluing me in! Oh, and your hair is so thick and shiny! I want it!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon