Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Bra measuring

I have been looking into different bra measuring calculators and found that the results are bad no matter which one is used. I have been told by one that I am a 36C and by another that I am a 32F. I am confident that I am neither.

Both the plus 4/5 inch method and the new method of using your underbust measurement as your bra size are wrong. The plus 4 method is wrong because it gives you a band size that is too big. The new method as per Linda's bra size calculator is wrong because it gives you a cup size that is too big by ignoring the fact that the old plus 4 method included an extra 4 inches in the cup.

I will use my measurements to demonstrate:

Old method:
I am 31 underbust and 39 around the bust
31+5= 36 band size
Bust is 3 inches bigger than band size= C cup
But this bra is far too big in the back and rides up. The cups do fit though.
Conclusion: I need to go down a back size

Linda's bra calculator and the braband project
I am 31 underbust and 39 around the bust
31 means I can wear either 32 or 30 size bras. I will go for 32
There is now a 7 inch difference between the band and bust.
According to this, my cup size will be F because
1 inch=A, 2=B, 3=C, 4=D, 5=DD, 6=E, 7=F
But this bra would never fit me because my breasts are simply not big enough to be an F cup. I can go braless if I want, they don't get in the way when I run, they are fairly perky. They look like mid size boobs, nobody would really call them large. They are clearly not an F.

So, where is the braband wrong then? Because they ignore the fact that the old method takes into account 4 extra inches when calculating the cup.
And how can I work out what bra I need to wear that actually fits?

My method:
My size according to the traditional method is 36C. The band is too big.
I need to go down in the back to a 32. I also need to go up in the cup (but nowhere near as much as the braband project says I do). I only need to go up a cup size for each back size I go down.

So: Originally a 36C, I go down two back sizes and up 2 cup sizes. Result: 32DD. And what do you know? It fits perfectly.

This is based on UK sizes by the way so I am not sure how it would work in the US. I worked this out after becoming stressed out with both versions of measurements.

If the bra you have doesn't give you quadboob after swooping and scooping then I would like to congratulate you on finding the perfect fit. Bra sizing is so much more complex than measuring but the method of not adding inches and subtracting from your band size is only a starting point but it's the most accurate method out there.
I always like to emphasize that measurements are a starting point and you won't know if the bra actually fits unless you try it on.

There are many measurements that are needed to get as close to accurate as possible a cup size,

My standing measurement would put me at a 26FF but my leaning and lying measurement are more accurate for me because I have projected breasts.

Some shapes of boobs like conical or pendulous, can overestimate the cup size. That could make up for the discrepancy in your cup size.

And F cups are not as big as you may think. I can fit into a 30F I even have pictures posted on my thread and my breast are no where close in size to Kim kardashian or Katy Perry's who are only estimated to have 32DD but are probably more like G/GG with smaller band sizes. Check out the http://www.brabandproject.com/gallery/search/cup/F and you'll see that an F is not as big as you think.

And I wouldn't recommend getting a band smaller than your comfortably snug measurement unless you have a lot of squash to your ribcage (difference between tight and snug measurement) or you have large breasts that need the extra support.

(13-08-2014, 12:27 PM)lovedebbii Wrote:  the method of not adding inches and subtracting from your band size is only a starting point but it's the most accurate method out there.

There are many measurements that are needed to get as close to accurate as possible a cup size,

My standing measurement would put me at a 26FF but my leaning and lying measurement are more accurate for me because I have projected breasts.

Some shapes of boobs like conical or pendulous, can overestimate the cup size. That could make up for the discrepancy in your cup size.

And F cups are not as big as you may think. I can fit into a 30F I even have pictures posted on my thread and my breast are no wear close in size to Kim kardashian or Katy Perry's. Check out the brabandproject.com and you'll see that an F is not as big as you think.

And I wouldn't recommend getting a band smaller than your comfortably snug measurement unless you have a lot of squash to your ribcage (difference between tight and snug measurement) or you have large breasts that need the extra support.

Are you one of the nutters off of /abrathatfits/ by any chance Tongue (I mean that in the nicest way possible)

Lol I guess you could say that but I've done way more research on bras than just visiting a bra that fits. I've been kinda obsessed with bras since I was like 14.

Do you believe that some boobs just don't have any bras that will fit them perfectly? Because that's the conclusion that I've come to.

(13-08-2014, 12:43 PM)concordat Wrote:  Do you believe that some boobs just don't have any bras that will fit them perfectly? Because that's the conclusion that I've come to.

I believe that there are some people who probably won't get the perfect fit unless the bra is costume made for them. But with a lot of digging you can find a bra that is close enough. I think comfort is the most important factor of bra sizing. I used to hate wearing bras and still today i go bra less as much as possible. I need a 24/26 inch band and my best fitting bra is 30in band that fits like 28inch. Since I don't need loads of support yet I can pretty much get away with it. I've got projected, full on bottom breast so I can't wear shallow bras. I've got narrow root and need narrow wires. I've got close set breasts so plunges and bras with narrow gores are my best bet. I usually have to alter my bras for a good fit.

Ah. Well all of those breast shape categorisations don't really work for my boobs, I think because they're so saggy lost most of their shape, even if I lean over to see where most of the tissue is it's very hard to tell.

No, fair enough, an F cup is not absolutely enormous but those pictures show women with significantly larger breasts than mine. For example, the girl wearing the bikini is very busty. My head might fit into a 32F but my boobs certainly don't.
I have seen women on this forum who have posted photos of very small breasts with only around 3-4 inches difference between the bust and underbust and no 'drape' of the breast whatsoever only to be told that "you are probably a 28DD".
But I think the best way of finding your bra size is probably to try bras on which is why places like bravissimo do not use the tape measure. Just thought I would offer my view though seeing as the militant brabandproject are also recommending the wrong sizing and aren't much better than the old method.

Oh and lovedebbii, I have just looked at your photos. You DO look like an F cup so it does not surprise me that you are. For your frame, you are pretty busty (you are very lucky). Does this bra calculator (the one recommended by thebrabandproject) give you a 30F as well?
http://www.sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm
But there are many others that I have seen that have used the calculator to be told they are DD/E when clearly not. And my own measurements of course where it has just this minute said that I should try 32FF or US 32H. Just no. This one's even worse than Linda's.

Hi there Smile

Bra calculators are only a starting point for bra hunting, so don't worry too much about it Wink Everyone has differently shaped breast tissue so not all bra types in the same size work either. Maybe someone can fit beautifully in a 30C plunge type bra, but a 30C half cup bra offers an odd looking shape. The best way to know is to put on a tight, thin shirt to see how the bra holds up your breasts underneath clothing.

To be honest, cup size doesn't reflect bustiness. Most women think A is flat, B is regular, C is big and D is HUUUGE. A big noooooooo!!

My size is somewhere around a 28DD, and I consider myself flat-chested Smile. The cup size to band size ratio merely affects how the bra fits.
For example, I can also wear a 34B bra, but they are a terrible, terrible fit, offer less support and probably don't do much good. However by altering the band of a 32C bra, I can get a fit closer to a 28DD, and believe me, it's a lot more comfortable Big Grin.

Anyway, if you find the bra comfortable, and don't have to readjust breast tissue throughout the day, it probably is a good fit, so don't worry too much about deviating a lot from the measurements a bra calculator gives you! You may fit anywhere in between all the sister sizes Big Grin. Just go with what your body is comfortable with Big Grin good luck, may you find your perfect fit!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon