Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Biology of the breast

Lovely, great job on the thread, research info is definitely being stepped-up from people such as yourself.

Wink

Thanks. You contribute a lot too.

The breast is composed of glandular, connective, and adipose tissues. This glandular tissue is made up of numerous milk producing lobules and ducts. The breast originates over the span of the pectoralis major muscle, while most of it lies over the "second to the sixth ribs."

The endocrine system, including the pituitary gland, regulates mammary glands. Areolar and mammary glands are exocrine glands.

Mammary gland cells contain 'estrogen receptor alpha' (ER-α), 'progesterone receptor' (PR), and 'prolactin receptor' (PrLR) proteins. Estradiol, progesterone and prolactin normally activate the respective receptors that cause breast growth. Estrogens, and progestogens are different categories of sex hormones. Prolactin is another type of hormone that reduces estrogen.

Estrogens cause elongation or horizontal growth by stimulating (lactiferous) mammary duct cells, through activation of ER-α. PR activation, believed to be specific to 'Progesterone Receptor B' (PRB), causes growth of milk producing cells or sidebranching. Progestogens also cause stimulation of connective breast tissue (cooper's ligaments). Density, Areolar gland development, and gland lactation development are caused by prolactin receptor activation.

Estrogens, and progestogens are different categories of hormones, and prolactin is another type of hormone. Progesterone and prolactin reinforce each other's presence, while lowering estradiol levels. Estradiol, in turn, reduces prolactin and progesterone levels.

Most breast development occurs during the luteal phase, usually days 14 to 28, which is associated with high levels of progesterone and a lesser but significant amount of estrogen. The luteal phase is signaled to start by luteinizing hormone (LH).

During the follicular phase, days 1 through 14, IGF-1 and prolactin are positively correlated with breast size. 'Insulin-like growth factor 1' (IGF-1) causes breast epithelial cell proliferation, and it may allow for breast size maintenance, and growth. Some hormones may be necessary for keeping gains made during the luteal phase.

Estrogen is normally high during ovulation (between menstruation and the luteal phase) and causes breast growth. Breast swelling during luteal phase is also growth, and perhaps antagonists undo this action that is associated with water weight. Progestins may possibly be ER-α antagonists, and estrogens might be PRB antagonists. Certain receptor antagonisms might be necessary to lessen desensitization, due to up or down regulation. However, an overload of antagonisms may damage receptors, desensitizing them. Lower androgen levels are associated with larger breast sizes.

References:
* gland activation - Hormone Action in the Mammary Gland http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2982168/
* mod - Botanical modulation of menopausal symptoms: Mechanisms of action? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3800090/
* endogenus - Breast Size in Relation to Endogenous Hormone Levels, Body Constitution, and Oral Contraceptive Use in Healthy Nulligravid Women Aged 19-25 Years http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/145/7/571.long
* mlpswelling - Breast: premenstrual tenderness and swelling http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/...003153.htm
* yj - Yen & Jaffe's Reproductive Endocrinology (Sixth Edition): The Breast http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...9074000103

See also:
* Herbs shown to scientifically influence healthy breast tissue http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=21672
* Hormones and fertility (ovaries, FSH, mint, clover, ZEN, etc) http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=20978
* Hormones and receptors; definitions and abbreviations http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=21109

From this.

Inverted nipples:
Considering how prolactin develops nipples, it can be seen how endogenus prolactin may be helpful for inverted nipples. Prolactin's imporance is during menstruation. Massage increases prolactin, which is normally higher during sleep. Mood may be important too, or at least a decrease in stress.

Tuberous breasts:
Also note how endogenus progesterone, which causes lateral growth and lobule development, may be helpful for tubular breasts. Progesterone must be balanced during the luteal phase, but it must be balanced by estrogens to lower pms symptoms. Aromatases are important for estrogen production made from testosterone.

Breast firming:
Progesterone receptors (likely PRB) are contained in the ligneous tissue (cooper's ligaments) of the breast. Progesterone may be important for breast firming.

Endocrinology:
Prolactin and progesterone signal each other in a loop to boost each other's presence, while lowering estradiol. Estradiol alternatively lowers both prolactin and progesterone. Massage might indirectly raise progesterone, through prolactin's effects, but there's little evidence of this being done significantly. Limit massage that stimulates prolactin to menstruation, and during breast swelling.

Long, frequent, or heavy periods can be attributed to too much estradiol. Estradiol doesn't necessarily have to be lowered, but it has to be balanced out by progesterone.

All three hormones can be elevated proportionally during breast swelling. Don't supplement with human hormones, use the herbs that influence human hormones or provide phytohormones, or massage. Anti-DHT herbs are important, because DHT inhibits breast growth more than testosterone.

The breast is composed of glandular, connective, and adipose tissues. This glandular tissue is made up of numerous milk producing lobules and ducts. The breast originates over the span of the pectoralis major muscle, while most of it lies over the "second to the sixth ribs."

The endocrine system, including the pituitary gland, regulates mammary glands. Areolar and mammary glands are exocrine glands.

Breasts contain 'estrogen receptor alpha' (ER-α), 'progesterone receptor' (PR), and 'prolactin receptor' (PrLR) proteins. Estradiol, progesterone and prolactin normally activate the respective receptors that cause breast growth. Estrogens, and progestogens are different categories of sex hormones. Prolactin is another type of hormone that reduces estradiol.

Estrogens cause elongation or forward growth by stimulating (lactiferous) mammary duct cells, through activation of ER-α. PR activation, believed to be specific to 'Progesterone Receptor B' (PRB), causes growth of milk producing cells or sidebranching. Progestogens also cause stimulation of connective breast tissue (cooper's ligaments). Density, Areolar gland development, and gland lactation development are caused by prolactin receptor activation.

Estrogens, and progestogens are different categories of hormones, and prolactin is another type of hormone. Progesterone and prolactin reinforce each other's presence, while lowering estradiol levels. Estradiol, in turn, reduces prolactin and progesterone levels.

Most breast development occurs during the luteal phase, usually days 14 to 28, which is associated with high levels of progesterone and a lesser but significant amount of estrogen. The luteal phase is signaled to start by luteinizing hormone (LH).

During the follicular phase, days 1 through 14, IGF-1 and prolactin are positively correlated with breast size. 'Insulin-like growth factor 1' (IGF-1) causes breast epithelial cell proliferation, and it may allow for breast size maintenance, and growth. Some hormones may be necessary for keeping gains made during the luteal phase.

Estrogen is normally high during ovulation (between menstruation and the luteal phase) and causes breast growth. Breast swelling during luteal phase is also growth, and perhaps antagonists undo this action that is associated with water weight. Progestins may possibly be ER-α antagonists, and estrogens might be PRB antagonists. Certain receptor antagonisms might be necessary to lessen desensitization, due to up or down regulation. However, an overload of antagonisms may damage receptors, desensitizing them. Lower androgen levels are associated with larger breast sizes.

References:
* gland activation - Hormone Action in the Mammary Gland
* mod - Botanical modulation of menopausal symptoms: Mechanisms of action? Botanical modulation of menopausal symptoms: Mechanisms of action?
* endogenus - Breast size in relation to endogenous hormone levels, body constitution, and oral contraceptive use in healthy nulligravid women aged 19-25 years
* mlpswelling - Breast:premenstrual tenderness and swelling
* yj - Yen & Jaffe's Reproductive Endocrinology (6th Ed.): The breast

See also:
* Thread - Herbs shown to scientifically influence healthy breast tissue
* Thread - Hormones and fertiliy (ovaries, FSH, mint, clover, ZEN, etc) - about infertility
* Thread - Hormones and receptors; definitions and abbreviations

hey there, lovely. honestly, i had a time deciding where to post this because it sounds like a noogleberry post but really, it's more an anatomy post and well, you've attached some anatomy images.

recently, i purchased a kangzhu pump and cups, probably reading too many peggy posts. haha Tongue. kidding, peggy. well, i vacillated a long time about pumping but now trying to be somewhat conservative in my approach, i follow the advice of others, massage, pump 10 minutes, massage 10, pump 10 and done. the only minor pain is around the base where it presses against the ribs but like i said, i do try to be moderate about the amount of negative pressure.

the thing that didn't before occur to me was that, if you consider all the ductwork extending from the more posterior lobes traveling to and terminating at the nipple, the pump is essentially taking hold of that terminal end, pulling and stretching all of that anatomy which, i've found, is a completely new sensation for me. anyway, now, after a few days, i'm experiencing what i can only describe as a dull, aching labyrinth of mammary ducts and maybe, throw in a few blood and lymph vessels. it's a really weird, weird anatomical discomfort. i think i'll take a couple of days off the kangzhu and allow some healing. just thought i'd mention it cuz it was something i hadn't contemplated before i started and idk, maybe, this is just a pump post, in which case, my apologies, Tongue but i swear i can almost feel the structural anatomy of my own breasts and it's so, so weird. cheers, solomé

You think you can feel it, with the noogleberry's use? That's interesting. There's also connective tissue that runs in that same direction all the way from the chest wall.

I reposted parts of this thread with other information at: NBE Guide: biology. endocrinology, herbs, nutrition

Some information on this thread is obsolete.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon