Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Can shatavari be substitutes for GR or FG?

(double post)

(09-09-2014, 05:35 PM)surferjoe2007 Wrote:  I think you can add in anything as long as you do it very gradually and likewise be careful about the drug dosages. Because of the combination. I don't think shatavari will be much different from fenugreek. Maybe a little more concentrated.

Most combined birth control has more estrogen than progestin (imitation progesterone). A little more progesterone could be nice to complement the estrogen. Enough progesterone could eventually allow you to use estrogenic herbs. They are like pushing on the left wheel and the right wheel when you are trying to go forward.

Cool, so what might you recommend for progesterone in light of what I'm already taking?

(09-09-2014, 07:55 PM)isobasic Wrote:  
(09-09-2014, 05:35 PM)surferjoe2007 Wrote:  I think you can add in anything as long as you do it very gradually and likewise be careful about the drug dosages. Because of the combination. I don't think shatavari will be much different from fenugreek. Maybe a little more concentrated.

Most combined birth control has more estrogen than progestin (imitation progesterone). A little more progesterone could be nice to complement the estrogen. Enough progesterone could eventually allow you to use estrogenic herbs. They are like pushing on the left wheel and the right wheel when you are trying to go forward.

Cool, so what might you recommend for progesterone in light of what I'm already taking?
Oh you are in the UK. Sorry, ha. I think it is prescription only there though you can legally bring it in from outside? You could cycle PC with no PM or very little PM and a lot of PC. In the short run. In the long run you may use both. Or switch your bcp to a pure progestin one like Mirena. As with any bcp you want to find the one with the lowest effective dose. You may get less progestin but safety comes first. Progestin isn't as safe as progesterone.

You can continue with blanket effect herbs like shatavari/GR while avoiding estrogenic ones like you were doing. Natural B vitamins such as those in whole grains and bran may help your body balance itself out too. Low doses of vitex may help too, 40-125 mg tops, but this is also anti-dopamine.

Flax lignans convert to enterolactone, which is an aromatase inhibitor so it decreases estrogen. And flaxseed increases prolactin too, so it seems like a win-win situation for you.

(10-09-2014, 05:21 AM)Candace Wrote:  Flax lignans convert to enterolactone, which is an aromatase inhibitor so it decreases estrogen. And flaxseed increases prolactin too, so it seems like a win-win situation for you.

If I'm on bcp, does aromatase come into the equation?

(10-09-2014, 09:41 AM)isobasic Wrote:  
(10-09-2014, 05:21 AM)Candace Wrote:  Flax lignans convert to enterolactone, which is an aromatase inhibitor so it decreases estrogen. And flaxseed increases prolactin too, so it seems like a win-win situation for you.

If I'm on bcp, does aromatase come into the equation?
It's going to be in the equation as long as you have fat cells and testosterone. I cannot estimate the magnitude of the effect, but the direction is in the right way so it doesn't matter much.

I found another non-estrogenical thing to raise prolactin: niacinamide.

Thanks guys, think I'm gonna run with the shatavari for now, i'll let you know how it goes. looking into nicotinamide atm. as for flax - doesn't it in fact have some oestrogenic properties itsself?

(13-09-2014, 11:17 AM)isobasic Wrote:  Thanks guys, think I'm gonna run with the shatavari for now, i'll let you know how it goes. looking into nicotinamide atm. as for flax - doesn't it in fact have some oestrogenic properties itsself?

It does but it is packed with weak phytoestrogens so it may also block excess estrogen. I wouldn't use it without a little something for progesterone or prolactin, unless you think your estrogen is super high (I don't know, could be). But if you do get something estrogenic flax could be a nice moderate start. It also has ALA fatty acids and while you also need fish fat, ALA is still a nice fat. It has even more ALA than walnuts or olive oil.

Hey guys - just thought I'd mention that my goat's rue was liquid extract and shatavari dried herb - do you think the shatavari would be therefore a 'lower dose' than i was taking before?

(23-09-2014, 12:13 PM)isobasic Wrote:  Hey guys - just thought I'd mention that my goat's rue was liquid extract and shatavari dried herb - do you think the shatavari would be therefore a 'lower dose' than i was taking before?

Depends on the extract concentration. I've seen extracts that are diluted to one quarter strength and extracts that are 30 times more concentrated. An extract is also easier on the stomach.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon