Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

High Prolactin, Low Red Blood Cell Count

Does anybody know how a low red blood cell count during puberty would affect breast development? Is it possible it would stunt it? Also, how does high prolactin affect breast development for a girl in puberty? Say prolactin was high since age 8 through age 18 and the red blood cell count was low during the same ages--both medicinally induced side effects of a medication. Could this have stunted my development? I'm 22 now and off the med I'm speaking of and have been since age 18
Any ideas on what can be done?

I could research this, but I don't know that either would.

That said, I wanted to do Brava+AFT but I'm not a good candidate for the AFT until my WBC improves. I have low neutrophils (everything else is normal).

There are prolactin receptors in the mammaries. Trying to get info on a couple pubmed.gov papers to see if I can get more info on breast development.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25016022

and

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jnme/2012/173712/

From the second link:
Quote:Similar to ZnT1, overexpression of rat ZnT2 cDNA conferred zinc resistance to BHK cells. However, unlike ZnT1 which is located in the plasma membrane and lowers cellular zinc by stimulating cellular zinc efflux, ZnT2 is localized on vesicles and accumulates high concentrations of zinc in the endosomal/lysosomal compartment. ZnT2 is also associated with the inner mitochondrial membrane in mouse MEC mammary cells [126], and attenuation of ZnT2 mRNA expression reduced mitochondrial zinc uptake and mitochondrial zinc pools.

My bf and I are trying to figure out what all this could mean, but it sounds like high prolactin is causing attenuation of ZnT2 mRNA expression resulting in reduced mitochondrial zinc uptake and mitochondrial zinc pools.

ZnT2 and prolactin are related to mammary glands. So that's a start. Unfortunately he can't access his school's library to get the paper from the first link's abstract, but I'm not sure that one is as important as what he found (the second link).

You're probably not getting the right amount of zinc for breast development, and it's doubtful you'll be able to so long as your prolactin levels are high. I don't even know that herbals would help at this point. Noogling might be the best option with your situation.

otoh, we could both be totally and completely wrong. Neither of us are doctors, just good with research...lol

ETA: it's possible that increasing your dietary zinc intake may help (accompanied by noogling).
Quote:Likewise, ZnT1 and ZnT2 were markedly increased in these tissues when supplied with greater concentrations of dietary zinc (180 mg Zn/Kg)

Here's another link that discusses Zip3 and its relationship with prolactin and the mammaries.

http://ajpcell.physiology.org/content/288/5/C1042.short

Hmm...I was anemic last winter and I think I am currently too as my blue undereye circles are back. :-\
I think I used to have this before too but didn't notice it.You could be low on iron like me, and it's needed for the growth of everything.
I am currently taking zinc and maca but will add iron for at least a month too as too much is even worse.
Zinc is not easy to get from food so you may consider buying supplements or either eat tons of meat, eggs and pumpkin seeds daily.
Dairy has some too but I avoid it as it has tons of testosterone which give me acne.Very fatty dairy like gouda, butter and etc. is ok.

Multivitamins. Menstruation causes a lot of loss of iron. Lack of iron is also an indication of other mineral deficiencies. Look into Dietary Reference Intake, Optimum Daily Intake or Guideline Daily Amount for nutritional guidelines. Vitamins A-E help your body run more efficiently. Natural peanut butter and fruits are also good for you.

Lunice,

For me, it wasn't iron levels. I had literally everything under the sun checked. vitamins/minerals/all white/red blood cells were normal except for my neutrophils. It's been chronic, but I've had (in the past) high and low levels of neutrophils, without illness to be correlated to them. It's only now that a doctor has become worried, so I currently see a rheumatologist (connective tissue, i have livedo reticularis so the doc is trying to see if a rheumie can find a correlation to low neutrophils)...and also gastroenterologist.

The one grastroenterologist I was seen by had mentioned the possibility for a bone marrow biopsy if nothing is discovered. Until then, I'm seen via VA docs except for the local VA transferred my case to an external rheumie due to the VA rheum. quit...just like the one gastro doc I saw.

I wish it was as simple as iron, and there were a lot of ideas thrown around, but nothing that made sense.

I don't think I have the same issues as you Lunice (re: prolactin), just less developed breasts). Also, I'm vegan, so no meat/dairy for me (was considered an issue but upon further investigation is definitely not the cause of low wbc, only low rbc for those lacking iron, which I'm not)...

I do take multivitamins (DEVA brand).

(17-09-2014, 02:32 AM)Fae Wrote:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25016022

and

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jnme/2012/173712/

From the second link:
Quote:Similar to ZnT1, overexpression of rat ZnT2 cDNA conferred zinc resistance to BHK cells. However, unlike ZnT1 which is located in the plasma membrane and lowers cellular zinc by stimulating cellular zinc efflux, ZnT2 is localized on vesicles and accumulates high concentrations of zinc in the endosomal/lysosomal compartment. ZnT2 is also associated with the inner mitochondrial membrane in mouse MEC mammary cells [126], and attenuation of ZnT2 mRNA expression reduced mitochondrial zinc uptake and mitochondrial zinc pools.

My bf and I are trying to figure out what all this could mean, but it sounds like high prolactin is causing attenuation of ZnT2 mRNA expression resulting in reduced mitochondrial zinc uptake and mitochondrial zinc pools.

ZnT2 and prolactin are related to mammary glands. So that's a start. Unfortunately he can't access his school's library to get the paper from the first link's abstract, but I'm not sure that one is as important as what he found (the second link).

You're probably not getting the right amount of zinc for breast development, and it's doubtful you'll be able to so long as your prolactin levels are high. I don't even know that herbals would help at this point. Noogling might be the best option with your situation.

otoh, we could both be totally and completely wrong. Neither of us are doctors, just good with research...lol

ETA: it's possible that increasing your dietary zinc intake may help (accompanied by noogling).
Quote:Likewise, ZnT1 and ZnT2 were markedly increased in these tissues when supplied with greater concentrations of dietary zinc (180 mg Zn/Kg)

Thanks a lot, Fae! I wish I could understand what any of that stuff means! I will have to try reading it again when I am more focused than I am now. Since you are really good with research...the med I took from ages 8-18 in high doses was Zantac. It caused me to have clusters of small bruises on my thighs frequently. This rash would come up frequently, like once a month. Unfortunately, my doctor never cared or said anything when I showed her. I started the Zantac after coming up with raised purple knots on my legs. An endoscopy and colonoscopy concluded Hpylori. The raised purple knots resolved then after starting Zantac these pin dot, clusters of bruises started coming up on my legs. I never thought much of it until I was older. I finally did research and saw this rash come up as a side effect to Zantac. I also found that another side effect is high prolactin which causes hirsutism, acne etc. Well, I have had hirsutism since I was 15 and acne as well. I have PCOS. I do not take Zantac anymore, but I was taking Nexium heavily for a year or so. I just now am weaning off of it, but still rely on it on occasion. I haven't had the bruise rashes since quitting Zantac. My breasts are tuberous and I have IGT. Do you have anything to add with this info? Thanks for everything

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon