Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Prolactin levels & Breast Cancer risk?

Im on Bromocriptine... which keeps the tumor under control.... the side effects of the medicine are less than the side effects of the prolactin..

(07-12-2014, 03:58 PM)Karren Wrote:  Im on Bromocriptine... which keeps the tumor under control.... the side effects of the medicine are less than the side effects of the prolactin..
Would pramipexole (Mirapex) work for that too? Ergot drugs like bromocriptine can cause heart valve or pulmonary fibrosis.

(07-12-2014, 02:09 PM)Karren Wrote:  I have a prolactinoma.... prolactin secreting pituitary tumor... but my medication drops my prolactin levels which is good for the tumor and i guess breast cancer... but does seem to interfere in any kind of herb induced breast growth..

That makes a lot of sense Karren. I did think of you too and your situation.
So for you the noogling has been your key then hasn't it if you cant take the herbs so prolactin hasn't been a factor in your growth.
Id noogle too but my nipples are already a bit wonky from breastfeeding and im too lazy to tape them down..

(07-12-2014, 08:59 AM)lovely11 Wrote:  Fenugreek, Fennel and Blessed thistle are good ingredients. Saw Palmetto works on the male prostate to reduce dht, but I don't know if it works on female organs or on fatty tissue. Adding aromatase and a different anti-DHT would be an improvement.

"Taking dong quai in large amounts for a long period of time is POSSIBLY UNSAFE. Dong quai contains chemicals that are considered to be cancer-causing (carcinogens)." - Medline plus. I'd go by that guideline in quotes. If taking any bit of it, eat whole grain and fruit fiber daily. It looks like dong quai works on mood's effects on prolactin, and dong quai is possibly useful for "hot flashes and night sweats". Botanical modulation of menopausal symptoms: Mechanisms of action?

Bulk herbs usually give a better deal than formulas, and can be mixed to choice and according to cycle. I see the label now, it looks like its strong since says it's the equivalent to 333mg (I guess in phytochemicals) of dried herb. It probably (also) means they extracted it from 333mg dry herb per 1ml. On the label ~ means organic, and + means selectively imported. It'd be better to replace dong quai with nipple stimulation, hops, Pueraria and/or an adaptogen. It's good that their product has organic ingredients and they claim their product isn't tested on animals. If taking dong quai it'd be better than no more than once a week, and only for hotflashes, nightsweats or pms symptoms, then go with something that's not donq quai once the product is finished. Probably I could email them about the dong quai concern.

Thnaks heaps lovely. I did/do wonder what role dong quai plays in their formula I really do. But then you see other companies also putting DQ in their forumlas. I really think these people just copy cat each others forumlas just because they see some success in their competetors products.

SORRY to ask but could you hazard a guess as to how much DQ you think might be in Naturedays formula based on the liquid extracts and what you mentioned above? Alternatively I will email and ask them.
The honest truth is I have emailed questions before and its a customer services person who responds to all the emails and clearly not a naturopath or herbalist.

@Candace
Pramipexole [MedlinePlus link] has dopamine properties so probably. However, I don't know, it says ask a doctor or pharmacist for other uses of pramipexole. From the above Britannica source (2nd page) it lists cabergoline as a treatment. If you haven't read it, its a good read on prolactin (and hyperprolactinoma). You'd have to do more research on the specific medication.

@ELLACRAIG
Donq Quai seems to be there to increase prolactin, or help from PMS symptoms through its serotonin properties.

I can only guess how much of it is it in. 1/5 of the herbal part of the product is one guess. but its more than 0 or less than 333mg equivalent (true but joking). Usually a company's ratios used are trade secrets. My guess is between 1/5 and 1/10. It's fine for shortterm and sparing use. Actually, you can always use a fraction of the dosage, then use grocery store fenugreek for the bulk of herbs.

From a pubmed search, most mention that dong quai inhibits cancer. Bioactivities of major constituents isolated from Angelica sinensis (Danggui) show Dong Quai's good properties, and show that 2 of its main chemicals have anticancer properties. It's main constituents are "ferulic acid, Z-ligustilide, butylidenephthalide and various polysaccharides." Z-ligustilide, and butylidenephthalide have anti-cancer properties.

It's probably less of a carcinogen than tap water from old lead pipes. I think its safe, as long as less than the serving is used, and not taken every day, and taking a break from it every other week, or something like that. By the MedlinePlus usage guideline it should be safe.

Thanks lovely.
I have in fact ordered my own tinctures less the DQ and will take breaks Smile

Dong Quai (Angelica sinensis) [PMID:21361249] says it increased MCF-7 breast cancer cells, but the trial results were inconclusive.

This link from the above link is a good read too. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: Dong Quai It says avoid if you have cancer, avoid it, it promoted cancer receptor negative and positive cell growth. Then it says donq quai has antitumor effects. It looks like dong quai is complicated and has mixed results. This also says it increases IGF-1,so this may be a reason it is used.

you're welcome

then again, Modulation of HER2 expression by ferulic acid on human breast cancer MCF7 cells. says ferulic acid increased breast cancer cell proliferation.

Of the 3 main chemicals of Dong Quai: ferulic acid promotes cancer while Z-ligustilide and butylidenephthalide inhibit cancer.

Gawd it's confusing isn't it! I mean it's been used historically for a long gg gg gg time but that doesn't mean it wasn't carcinogenic in the wrong doses and people just never knew Sad
Either way I won't take it long term. The DQ is dominant I the formula as it stinks and tastes horrid!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon