Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Noogleberry and EPO is big NO?

Hi all, I read in the noogleberry forum that we cannot take EPO while we are noogling because it will reduce the swelling. Anyone heard about this too? What do you think?

(13-03-2015, 02:32 PM)Dfleurs Wrote:  Hi all, I read in the noogleberry forum that we cannot take EPO while we are noogling because it will reduce the swelling. Anyone heard about this too? What do you think?

Omega 3's reduce inflammation, omega 6's are pro-inflammatory. EPO is omega 6, it's also effective at 80% for anti-DHT, plus many other things.

(13-03-2015, 04:08 PM)Lotus Wrote:  
(13-03-2015, 02:32 PM)Dfleurs Wrote:  Hi all, I read in the noogleberry forum that we cannot take EPO while we are noogling because it will reduce the swelling. Anyone heard about this too? What do you think?

Omega 3's reduce inflammation, omega 6's are pro-inflammatory. EPO is omega 6, it's also effective at 80% for anti-DHT, plus many other things.

Maybe they say that because EPO is used to help prevent cyclical breast tenderness so it might offset using the noogleberry.

Lotus, what if any benefits are there to epo then if its pro inflammatory? I too read conflicting info on if its pro or anti inflammatory. My health shop guy swore black and blue epo is a good omega 6 and therefore anti inflammatory Huh

I read on more than once site too of naturopaths whos clients were pushed into E Dominance when using epo, then they went off epo and the symptons went away, back on and they came back. That's soo confusing. That's why I always on the fence with epo.

That's why I was a bit hesitant to use epo during luteal when I get breast tenderness and swelling, as stupid as it sounds I love when I am in luteal cause my breasts are bigger Sad

I understand, maybe this might help, EPO which is GLA or aka linolelic acid can increase inflammation through the release of PGE-2 Prostaglandins, and helps with an inderct way of promoting aromatase, sorry for the big explanation here, but it does help to explain some of the conflict.

From the study it states this:

inhibited the 5 alpha-reductase activity, but not the 17 beta-dehydrogenase activity, of human prostate cancer cells in culture. These results suggest that unsaturated fatty acids may play an important role in regulating androgen action in target cells.

------------------------------/-----------------

There are several different types of omega-6 fatty acids, and not all promote inflammation. Most omega-6 fatty acids in the diet come from vegetable oils, such as linoleic acid (LA). Be careful not to confuse this with alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fatty acid. Linoleic acid is converted to gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) in the body. It is then further broken down to arachidonic acid (AA). GLA is found in several plant based oils, including evening primrose oil (EPO), borage oil, and black currant seed oil.

GLA may actually reduce inflammation. Much of the GLA taken as a supplement is converted to a substance called DGLA that fights inflammation. Having enough of certain nutrients in the body (including magnesium, zinc, and vitamins C, B3, and B6) helps promote the conversion of GLA to DGLA.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/sup...atty-acids

(03-03-2015, 02:31 AM)Lotus Wrote:  This post is also shared in the anti-androgen thread.

Inhibition of steroid 5a-reductase by specific aliphatic unsaturated/fattyacid
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles...1-0210.pdf[/align]

fatty acids could function as endogenous inhibitors of 5a-reductase

The most potent was y-Linolenic acid, GLA-aka EPO-Evening Primrose Oil.

(14-02-2015, 07:40 PM)Lotus Wrote:  Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory, omega 6 is pro-inflammatory

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8884]

This part just explains the difference between Flaxseed oil and Evening Primrose oil

Gamma linolenic acid (GLA) is an omega-6 unsaturated fatty acid made in the human body from linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid found in vegetable oils and egg yolks. The main supplemental sources of GLA are oils of the seeds of evening primrose, borage, and black currant plants. (For more information, see Evening Primrose.) Many companies sell these oils as good sources of GLA. It is also found in human breast milk.

The main difference between flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil is that the former contains the omega-3 linolenic acid, while the latter contains the omega-6 gamma-linolenic acid, or GLA for short. Omega-3s are linked to a lower risk of heart disease, cancer and arthritis, often through their anti-inflammatory properties, notes the University of Maryland Medical Center. Though GLA is an omega-6 fatty acid, which is sometimes connected to inflammation, it is one form of omega-6 that also can reduce inflammation, but is geared more toward skin, hair, reproductive and bone health. But the University of Maryland reports that more research favors the anti-inflammatory properties of the omega-3 fatty acids found in flaxseed oil more than that of GLA found in evening primrose oil.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/441704...-primrose/

(13-03-2015, 07:03 PM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  
(13-03-2015, 04:08 PM)Lotus Wrote:  

Maybe they say that because EPO is used to help prevent cyclical breast tenderness so it might offset using the noogleberry.

Lotus, what if any benefits are there to epo then if its pro inflammatory? I too read conflicting info on if its pro or anti inflammatory. My health shop guy swore black and blue epo is a good omega 6 and therefore anti inflammatory Huh

I read on more than once site too of naturopaths whos clients were pushed into E Dominance when using epo, then they went off epo and the symptons went away, back on and they came back. That's soo confusing. That's why I always on the fence with epo.

Yes Ella they say EPO prevents the swelling from EPO. But a lot of people take EPO as part of the regime. A bit confused now

(13-03-2015, 08:03 PM)Lotus Wrote:  I understand, maybe this might help, EPO which is GLA or aka linolelic acid can increase inflammation through the release of PGE-2 Prostaglandins, and helps with an inderct way of promoting aromatase, sorry for the big explanation here, but it does help to explain some of the conflict.

From the study it states this:

inhibited the 5 alpha-reductase activity, but not the 17 beta-dehydrogenase activity, of human prostate cancer cells in culture. These results suggest that unsaturated fatty acids may play an important role in regulating androgen action in target cells.

------------------------------/-----------------

There are several different types of omega-6 fatty acids, and not all promote inflammation. Most omega-6 fatty acids in the diet come from vegetable oils, such as linoleic acid (LA). Be careful not to confuse this with alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fatty acid. Linoleic acid is converted to gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) in the body. It is then further broken down to arachidonic acid (AA). GLA is found in several plant based oils, including evening primrose oil (EPO), borage oil, and black currant seed oil.

GLA may actually reduce inflammation. Much of the GLA taken as a supplement is converted to a substance called DGLA that fights inflammation. Having enough of certain nutrients in the body (including magnesium, zinc, and vitamins C, B3, and B6) helps promote the conversion of GLA to DGLA.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/sup...atty-acids

(03-03-2015, 02:31 AM)Lotus Wrote:  This post is also shared in the anti-androgen thread.

Inhibition of steroid 5a-reductase by specific aliphatic unsaturated/fattyacid
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles...1-0210.pdf[/align]

fatty acids could function as endogenous inhibitors of 5a-reductase

The most potent was y-Linolenic acid, GLA-aka EPO-Evening Primrose Oil.

(14-02-2015, 07:40 PM)Lotus Wrote:  Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory, omega 6 is pro-inflammatory

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8884]

This part just explains the difference between Flaxseed oil and Evening Primrose oil

Gamma linolenic acid (GLA) is an omega-6 unsaturated fatty acid made in the human body from linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid found in vegetable oils and egg yolks. The main supplemental sources of GLA are oils of the seeds of evening primrose, borage, and black currant plants. (For more information, see Evening Primrose.) Many companies sell these oils as good sources of GLA. It is also found in human breast milk.

The main difference between flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil is that the former contains the omega-3 linolenic acid, while the latter contains the omega-6 gamma-linolenic acid, or GLA for short. Omega-3s are linked to a lower risk of heart disease, cancer and arthritis, often through their anti-inflammatory properties, notes the University of Maryland Medical Center. Though GLA is an omega-6 fatty acid, which is sometimes connected to inflammation, it is one form of omega-6 that also can reduce inflammation, but is geared more toward skin, hair, reproductive and bone health. But the University of Maryland reports that more research favors the anti-inflammatory properties of the omega-3 fatty acids found in flaxseed oil more than that of GLA found in evening primrose oil.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/441704...-primrose/

aww thank you Lotus for the info and explanation. Probably many people thought that EPO is anti inflammatory, thus contradict with the swelling.

Though GLA is an omega-6 fatty acid, which is sometimes connected to inflammation, it is one form of omega-6 that also can reduce inflammation, but is geared more toward skin, hair, reproductive and bone health. But the University of Maryland reports that more research favors the anti-inflammatory properties of the omega-3 fatty acids found in flaxseed oil more than that of GLA found in evening primrose oil.

So we are still on the fence then with EPO being an "anti"?

Experience wise, many grew with EPO in their program, right?

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon