Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

How a plant based diet can improve your health!

Yes that's true lovely11. I know many fruitarians and some of them also eat greens, which in my opinion is very important. I eat lots of fruits in the morning, a big salad and fruits for lunch and icecream made from fruits in the afternoon. In total this is about 4-5 lbs fruits per day. For dinner I have another salad with a little avocado or zucchini noodles + tomato sauce when I eat fully raw. It's very easy to eat enough calories, protein, fat and all vitamins and nutrients from fruits only. But most of the time I also eat quinoa, rice, potatoes or gluten free pasta for dinner and sometimes also legumes.

Eggs and dairy is not required for B12 though, just add a little of nutritional yeast to your meals and you get enough B12.

(26-07-2015, 04:31 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  Would fruitarians be consuming too much plant sugar? Do fruits have the same digestive enzym capabilities as greens?

I also wonder if green powders are helpful too when you can't have access to much greens??

No Ella, you don't consume too much fruit sugar by eating a lot of fruits. However it's always advisable to eat them whole and not in the form of juices. Because if you drink only the fruit juice then the fruit sugar is too concentrated and the fiber is missing. What happens is that you get too much sugar in your blood too fast because the fiber helps to slow down the absorption to your bloodstream. You can have smoothies though, because smoothies contain the fiber. Smile

Green powders are great! I often add them to my smoothies.

(26-07-2015, 04:34 PM)peggy Wrote:  
(26-07-2015, 04:31 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  Would fruitarians be consuming too much plant sugar? Do fruits have the same digestive enzym capabilities as greens?

I also wonder if green powders are helpful too when you can't have access to much greens??

No Ella, you don't consume too much fruit sugar by eating a lot of fruits. However it's always advisable to eat them whole and not in the form of juices. Because if you drink only the fruit juice then the fruit sugar is too concentrated and the fiber is missing. What happens is that you get too much sugar in your blood too fast because the fiber helps to slow down the absorption to your bloodstream. You can have smoothies though, because smoothies contain the fiber. Smile

Green powders are great! I often add them to my smoothies.
You know my naturopath said you must have some protein with every meal to stop insulin spiking. So I wonder what form of protein would you have if you had a fruit based meal ie breakfast, maybe a little pea protein powder? Or nuts.

I do have another question to you Peggy, How do you think that this change to a vegan diet involves us in the way of that our ancesters might had a different diet and that our absorption ie etc. might react negative(ie by not absorbing-processing nutrients right)? Or do you have to get used to that?
I also do agree in that meat carries certain components in it that might cause cancer ie but it also has a lot off healthy nutrients in it like fat,vitamin b , proteins that are easier to absorb then plant proteins). As many other foods has there pro's and con's for health.
I still remember the growse green tumor picture btwDodgy

Been pescatarian since 2004. One day I hope, at the very least, to go full vegetarian. Not sure if I will ever do vegan, but ya never know!

Vegetarian with egg or dairy requires no adaptation, except expanding the vegetarian foods eaten. Some would argue that animal dairy required a recent adaptation, and we're not meant to eat it (ie lactose intolerance). Strict vegan hasn't been a part of the human diet, but perhaps an adaptation can be made, because there are people who live on it. I don't think we're (readily or easily) adapted to strict vegan, but humans have made adaptations from eating dairy to eating cooked meat. That vegetarian with eggs or dairy is suited for humans as much as omnivorism, is just my opinion. Others are entitled to favor veganism. The future of humankind is probably to eat only eggs and fruits, since these are bi-products, fruits made especially for human/animal consumption, that don't require killing.

B12 as far as they know is only made by some bacteria. Small amounts but not enough is made in the human gut. Cows make a lot of B12 in their gut because of their extensive digestive system. It is also made symbiotically in other animal products. Some herbivore animals sometimes eat dirt to get their B12. Also, animals are supplemented with B12.

Yeast by itself doesn't make B12, but I heard they fortify it. Maybe it has a relationship with bacteria to make it. Cereal is also fortified, maybe with B12, not sure.

The act of cooking meat causes it to have more carcinogens, than it may already have. Perhaps its the overheating, or not soaking it in wine beforehand.

Refined sugar also, depending on the methods, use animal bones to refine it. Not all refined sugar is made this way. Raw sugar is better all around anyways: no chemical residues, it has tiny amounts of other nutrients.

I'd like to disclaim, I'm not a vegetarian at all, but I'd like to eat less meat and eat more vegetarian foods (and dairy). Then try to stick with cruelty free. Eating a variety requires a garden, or a hefty budget.

@Jenniferlove - a pescatarian diet sounds healthy.

lovely11, you are very mistaken concerning dairy. Casein, which makes up 87% of cows milk protein, is the most significant carcinogen humans consume!

Search for Dr. T. Colin Campbell to read more about it. Dr. T. Colin Campbell has been at the forefront of nutrition research for over forty years. His legacy, the China Project, has been acknowledged as the most comprehensive study of health and nutrition ever conducted. Dr. Campbell is the Jacob Gould Schurman Professor Emeritus of Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell University. He is also the founder of the highly acclaimed, Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate and serves as the Chairman of the Board for the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies.

Milk is not made by cows for human consumption. We are not baby calfs. Humans are the only species who drink milk from another species and after they were weaned off. Consuming dairy products not only causes cancer but actually also leeches calcium from your bones.

Some interesting quotes:

“I performed multiple regression analysis on breast cancer incidence. The highest correlation with breast cancer incidence was from animal source calories as compared to plant source calories.”The saturated fat in meat and milk products increases the risk of breast cancer.” — Dr William Harris, author of Cancer and Vegan Diet

“Some dairy products, such as whole milk and many types of cheese, have a relatively high saturated fat content, which may increase risk. Moreover, milk products may contain contaminants such as pesticides, which have carcinogenic potential, and growth factors such as insulin-like growth factor I, which have been shown to promote breast cancer cell growth.” — The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

“Since the 1980’s, study after study has linked dairy consumption to a high incidence of breast and other cancers. Women seeking to minimize their chances of breast cancer should avoid milk, other dairy products, and meat.In Asia, where milk consumption is extremely rare, breast cancer is almost unheard of.” — Phil Richardson, Nutritionist

“As families became more affluent in Japan, they began adopting daily meat and dairy into their diet. What was the result? Well, nothing short of shocking, actually. The affluent Japanese women developed breast cancer at a rate EIGHT times higher than their non-affluent Japanese neighbors who ate a diet free from heavy meat and dairy.” — Dr. Janet Bruno

“… several epidemiological studies have indicated a relationship between dairy consumption and breast cancer risk in pre-menopausal women (Outwater, 1997). Elevated levels of IGF-1, in particular, have been associated with increased risk of breast cancer (Hankinson, 1998).” — Breast Cancer Fund

“The increase in cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity and asthma that has occurred in the Western world over the past century directly correlates with the increase in dairy consumption.” — Dr. Adam Meade, Chiropractor and national health advocate

“IGF-1 is one of the most important hormone signallers in the body, but circulating levels in the blood have to be right…This link between IGF-1 and cancers has been shown through population studies, which show a correlation between average milk consumption in the population and the occurrence of cancers. For instance there are 68.8 cases of breast cancer among every 100,000 woman in England and Wales compared with just 11.2 per 100, 000 in rural China where dairy is not included in the diet.” — JHolmes MD, Pollak MN and Hankinson SE. Lifestyle Correlates of Plasma Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 and Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein 3 Concentrations. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 11: 862-867. 2002.

“Of all the cancers, egg consumption was most tightly correlated with breast cancer risk. Those eating more than a half an egg a day were found to have nearly 3 times the odds of breast cancer compared to those that stayed away from eggs entirely.” — Michael Greger, MD -

“While scientists are hard at work searching for specific breast cancer-fighting compounds, the safest approach is to apply what we already know: Diets that are highest in a variety of plant foods and stay away from heavy oils, meat, and dairy products, help prevent a great many diseases. The earlier in life we start, the better.” — Dr. Neal M. Bernard

See more at: http://freefromharm.org/health-nutrition...onnection/

Ella and Hannah, I will reply to your questions tomorrow.

All my grandparents drank milk daily in their cups of tea and all were very healthy. I think milk these days is a whole other story. Contaminated with all sorts of antibiotics and pesticides. But regardless that has put me off even my lactose free milk and eggs Sad

I've said many believe that dairy is not made for human consumption. Since hearing that, I've stopped drinking milk, but still eat cheese and other dairy, even if anyone thinks it's not an improvement.

I've never heard of dairy and eggs being carcinogenic before. Perhaps its the hormones, and other stuff put into cows. Maybe how the eggs are cooked can make a difference?

ELLACRAIG Wrote:Contaminated with all sorts of antibiotics and pesticides

There is a strong argument against dairy by some, evolutionary wise, and that its of another animal. It's true that it wasn't made for humans. Evolutionary-wise, people have been scavenging eggs, so this is why I think it's compatible.

I also believe foods should be at least cruelty-free. Organic, non-gmo and others are separate standards for what goes into foods.

I realize that there are different opinions. Even that I'm not vegetarian, I support others for doing it, or wanting to do it.

(27-07-2015, 07:04 AM)lovely11 Wrote:  I've said many believe that dairy is not made for human consumption. Since hearing that, I've stopped drinking milk, but still eat cheese and other dairy, even if anyone thinks it's not an improvement.

I've never heard of dairy and eggs being carcinogenic before. Perhaps its the hormones, and other stuff put into cows. Maybe how the eggs are cooked can make a difference?

ELLACRAIG Wrote:Contaminated with all sorts of antibiotics and pesticides

There is a strong argument against dairy by some, evolutionary wise, and that its of another animal. It's true that it wasn't made for humans. Evolutionary-wise, people have been scavenging eggs, so this is why I think it's compatible.

I also believe foods should be at least cruelty-free. Organic, non-gmo and others are separate standards for what goes into foods.

I realize that there are different opinions. Even that I'm not vegetarian, I support others for doing it, or wanting to do it.

Everything seems to be tainted and poisoned these days. Even eating raw foods we have to question " are they sprayed are they irridated are they xrayd what we're they grown in etc" .
Any dairy meat I had was organic or cruelty free. They say raw milk is nutricious, maybe that's what our elders drank?.
Either way yes I too have read humans don't have the capability of digesting at the very least milk past being an infant :(

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon