Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Use caution with progesterone cream. Insight Anyone?

Hello again to all you lovely people! I've been lurking for a few weeks and its nice to see some familiar faces and some amazing progress.

I've decided to get back into NBE after a very bad experience with PC; I will never touch that stuff again.

About two years ago I was a huge advocate for progesterone cream. My skin was pretty decent, my cycle was better and my breasts were fuller while using it... for a few months. Soon enough I was in the 7th circle of skin Hell. It started very subtlety with these persistent itchy, dry, patches along the top of my cheekbones .. they would come and go over the course of 4-5 months usually during luteal. It progressively got worse until one day my skin erupted into a maddeningly itchy, angry, oozing, bright, red rash that spanned most of my face. Ya know when you have a clay mask on your face and its dry and cracking? Yeah, it was exactly like that. I could barely open my mouth enough to eat without the skin around my mouth cracking and bleeding. It stayed like this for about 6 weeks. By this point I've stopped the PC after concluding that it was absolutely the culprit. Brilliant conclusion, I know. You may be asking: Well why didn't you stop using it ages ago, Star Shine?

Good question. I've had a long history of hormonal imbalance that started from taking BCP (yazmin) at 15. It caused a slew of issues that I'm still dealing with 7 years later. So I kept using PC because I was fairly certain I had the low estrogen/lower progesterone combo. Aaaaaaand it was deemed safe by Dr. John Lee who's considered an expert in endocrinology. What made me finally stop using PC was when I found out that the rash was actually Perioral Dermatitis (very concentrated around the eyes and mouth) and can be caused from progesterone cream. Shout out to online health forums for helping me self-diagnose myself. After the PC was out of my system my skin quickly returned to normal. If you can count your skin peeling off like a crispy reptile normal.

Sorry about this lengthy story. I didn't know how to be concise about something that caused so much disruption in my life. I know some parts of this may seem flippant as that's just how my humor works, but this reeeeally did suck. I had to drop out of college mid-semester, not because it was ugly, it was just that painful. I had to keep ice packs on my face to keep the swelling down. But there's a proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. Two years later and my once oily/acne prone skin is in very good shape and my cycles are short and a total breeze.

So if anyone has any insight to this or is/ has ever experienced something similar, please let me know about your experience and how you moved forward. I'm also not in any way demonizing PC. I used it at my own risk and we're all individually special in how we react to certain things. (I must be super special. How nice for me. Rolleyes lol)

Thank you for the caution. May I know how much & how often is your regimen?

(24-10-2015, 08:35 PM)Mango Wrote:  Thank you for the caution. May I know how much & how often is your regimen?

Do you mean the regimen I was on while using PC? If so, It was a standard 20 mg of PC everyday during luteal.

I too have read it can build up in your system and take months to leave. I started my husband on iodine drops (unbeknownst to him) and he's broken out in a rash on his hands which is spreading slowly up his arms. So I googled and yes sure enough , skin rashes and lumps can be a side effect from introducing iodine so it comes as no shock PC cream did that to you!
I used it last cycle but I wont again this cycle. I'm not sure I need it namely as my tests were somewhat inconclusive. I may take a gentle vitex tincture this luteal.

Hi Ella!

Yes it just doesn't seem to be necessary to use synthetic progesterone if you have the capabilities of making your own. My Natro doctor tested my hormones during this time and he said the dermatitis was an auto-inflammatory reaction to the PC. Basically the synthetic progesterone was conflicting with my bodies own progesterone which leads me be to believe that PC isn't bio-identical.

I'm interested to see how you like Vitex? I tend to gain weight in the booty/hips area and nothing goes up top. Which I understand is a low progesterone issue.

I have been using PC and have been for almost half a year now, which PC did you use? Do you know why it did that to you or is that just a side effect? I have never had any issues with PC and my skin, hmm.. Huh

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon