Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Who else has PCOS with elevated DHEA-s?

Hi! I'm new here Smile

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I took blood tests which revealed that I have excess male hormones. I have hair in unwanted places (chin/upper lip, around nipples, chest, belly). I also have oily skin and acne, but I've managed to keep my acne mostly under control. My boobs are underdeveloped, size 32A. I have always been insecure about my boobs and I would like to go up a cup or two.

I have been taking saw palmetto in hopes that it will decrease my androgen levels.. maybe it's a little too early to tell but my skin seems to be less oily and i feel a little soreness in my breasts. My appetite seems to have increased and I gained a few pounds, which is totally not a bad thing since I'm a little underweight Tongue

I have tried PM but all it did was turn me into a moody mess and it almost ruined my relationship with my boyfriend. Thought about going on spiro but then I'd have to watch my potassium/salt intake like a hawk which sounds like a pain in the a**

Would like to know who else is in the same boat as me & what did you do to lower your male hormones?

I don't have a diagnosis for PCOS, but I've had many of the symptoms with no explanations otherwise. I'm also with you on being underdeveloped. I was having horrible hormonal acne. I was looking up supplements and came across Astaxanthin, which apparently blocks DHT, and cleared up others skin. I tried it and cleared up within a couple weeks, and the acne rarely comes back! So, I'm fairly convinced that androgens were part of my problem, and I think years of birth control made that worse. I'm also taking Myo inositol to lower testosterone, since I read a lot of positive things from PCOS ladies, but bad ones from men because of obvious.

Can't say it's helped with other issues - like the random thick hairs in random places like the areas you mentioned, or made it easier to grow - but we'll see. I may need to increase the Myo inositol, because the reviews/studies said it takes more than the doses recommended on the supplement bottles.

I tried Saw Palmetto as my first attempt, but it made my hair fall out Sad

Good luck to you. I know it's frustrating.

(08-01-2016, 03:14 AM)seraphic Wrote:  I don't have a diagnosis for PCOS, but I've had many of the symptoms with no explanations otherwise. I'm also with you on being underdeveloped. I was having horrible hormonal acne. I was looking up supplements and came across Astaxanthin, which apparently blocks DHT, and cleared up others skin. I tried it and cleared up within a couple weeks, and the acne rarely comes back! So, I'm fairly convinced that androgens were part of my problem, and I think years of birth control made that worse. I'm also taking Myo inositol to lower testosterone, since I read a lot of positive things from PCOS ladies, but bad ones from men because of obvious.

Can't say it's helped with other issues - like the random thick hairs in random places like the areas you mentioned, or made it easier to grow - but we'll see. I may need to increase the Myo inositol, because the reviews/studies said it takes more than the doses recommended on the supplement bottles.

I tried Saw Palmetto as my first attempt, but it made my hair fall out Sad

Good luck to you. I know it's frustrating.

Thanks for your reply Smile how long have you been taking Astaxanthin & what brand is it? I might order some.. I'm interested in giving it a try

(10-01-2016, 01:04 PM)ihatePCOS Wrote:  Thanks for your reply Smile how long have you been taking Astaxanthin & what brand is it? I might order some.. I'm interested in giving it a try

I've been taking it almost 4 months. I've used both Bluebonnet which has 4mg and best for starting out, and am now using MD formulas Bioastin at 6mg. Both work, I don't think there's much difference, but I feel I'm getting more acne since switching and might go back to Bluebonnet.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon