Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Anyone else tried Maca?

Anyone else tried Maca?...
December 16 2006 at 8:06 PM Katrina (Login mountainkat)
Besides Waxingmoon, I don't believe I have read anywhere that anyone else has tried the herb, Maca, which there is a lot of research on about its ability to balance hormones and the whole endocrine system (adrenals, thyroid, pituitary gland, ect..). If you look up "Maca Gold" it is sopossed to be superior and the website explains more into detail about it.

Also, the website says that Maca helps the pituitary gland to release hormones that are responsible for growth and development like you did when you hit puberty!

I am going to try it out and let you all know if it helps me.

diana
(Login Diana1978)
hi mountainkat!
December 16 2006, 10:23 PM

i would love to know how u progress while using maca. and which hormone imbalance do u think u have? i think i am estrogen dominant therefore, progesterone deficient. i currently take vitex 2000mg a day. would it work on all imbalances? better than vitex? good luck.

Anonymous
(Login mountainkat)
Hello Diana...
December 17 2006, 12:54 AM

I am estrogen dominant because I have a very mild case of endometriosis (the uturis lining can become thickened slightly if you have excess estrogen causing painful contractions in the lower back around mentrual periods). I also believe I have excess androgens (stress hormones that resembles testosterone) because I do have a little acne and irregular periods.

Maca is definately better than Vitex IF it does what all of the websites says it will do for your whole ENDOCRINE system.

Vitex has NO effect on your thyroid or your adrenals OR you pitiutary glands like Maca says it does.

I should have it by next week and I will let you all know!

Katrina
(Login mountainkat)
Re: Anyone else tried Maca?...
December 17 2006, 1:05 AM

By the way, the post above was me MountainKat, but I forgot to sign my name!

mark
(Login sunnyMark)
December 17 2006, 10:16 AM

Hi Katrina,

I bought some Maca root couple of months back and used it for couple of weeks and then stoped using it. I don't know if it does all the things but it certainly increases libido. I'm not using it right now because i bought root powder which i used to put into my breakfast muesli but i got fed up with the taste, but it would be interesting to hear how you get on with it, please keep us posted, i might just try taking it again in a few weeks. good luck

mark

cher
(Login cherasia)
December 17 2006, 2:10 PM

I'm searching for Maca in my country, Singapore . Not very sure the chinese word for maca. It will be easier for me to search and look out at chinese medicine hall. Anyone asian know what it call in chinese??

bonnette
(Login bonnette)
December 17 2006, 2:38 PM

Hi Katrina

i have the same symphtoms as you but never knew what it means.

does menstrual cramping means estrogen dominance?

and irregular periods elevated andreogens? i did have a bit of acne before starting herbs but not anymore.

i dont have PMS or anything else, some insomnia from time (mostly because i find it hard to switch out my mind in bed) so i was not sure what my hormonelevel really were.

Does estrogen dominance mean i should not take phytoestrogens? and if not how can i grow breasts then? Progesteron?

Maca sounds interesting if it really incluences all.

Bonnette

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
December 17 2006, 3:43 PM

Maca is a taste you have to get used to. It comes from a radish like root and it tastes sort of 'smokey'. Not too bad though. I put it in my protein drink to mask some of the taste.

Does it work? Well the historical use of it would indicate that it does. Supposedly it is an aphrodesiac, but I can't say it has increased my 'drive'. I have used it for over a month now. I use 1/2 tbsp a day. I can't tell if it is working - after all I didn't sproud double D's this month - but hey, maybe it takes time... lol

I considered stopping it when my 1 lb bag runs out, but it is sort of like the lottery. Once you start buying tickets you are afraid not to in case your 'numbers' come up. Maybe maca is working for me and if I stop my little rascals will... well, they can't get much smaller, ha ha.
I think I will continue it since it has not created any negative symptoms and like NBE the effect may take a while.

Sorry I can't offer any concrete evidence, but if I do sprout some big hooters overnight - I will attribute it to the maca and let you know. Big Grin

waxingmoon

Katrina
(Login mountainkat)
About Maca...
December 18 2006, 2:22 AM

If you are concerned about the taste you should try GELENTINZED MACA in the capsule form, which is superior to the powder because all of the starches are taken out and you are only left with the benificial enzymes and nutrients. I am ordering Maca Gold from Peru.

From what I have read, if you have mentrual cramps you are estrogen dominant, and progesterone should help, but only during days 15-28 of your cycle (period being day 1).

Also, excess androgens are recognized as male hormones in the female body and women produce a lot of acne and may lose their hair if they have it long enough.

Maca is sopossed to balance all of these symptoms but I will try it and let you all know before you go out and buy it.

I am not sure that 1 tbls. of maca is enough a day to help people who have severe hormonal inbalances (and depleted endocrine system). You need to increase your dosage if it is not working from what I have read.

I can't wait to try it and see if it does all it says!

Miss Monet
(Login friskyflirt)
December 19 2006, 9:12 PM

Yeah, I just discovered this herb online... it sounds great! I've always had a problem with low libido, especially after going on birth control, and from what I've read about Maca it seems to be a wonder herb in the sexuality department! Although the companies who sell the herb say it's "unisex", from my readings it seems like it's geared more towards men than women... but hey, anything's worth a shot!

I thought I read something on this forum, though, about it being only for older women? Like mid-30s and up? Is this true? I've been trying to do a little research on the herb (not too much 'cuz I'm supposed to be studying for finals! LOL) but I haven't come across such warning. Can anyone clarify this rumor for me?

Besides Maca, does anyone know of any other NBE herbs that help with low libido?

Katrina
(Login mountainkat)
December 19 2006, 9:23 PM

From what I have read Maca is for any age. See, the difference in Maca is that is is NOT a phytoestrogen, meaning that is does not turn into estrogen or progesterone in your body. It only HELPS your body to release its OWN hormones by stimulating the pituitary gland and all other glands in the body so your hormones are brought into balance.

It does increase libido, so thats why men like to take it. It helps men produce the right amound of androgens and also with women.

Vitex is also a very good hormone balancing herb that is NOT a phytoestrogen. But vitex may decrease libido if you already have excess estrogen because it lowers androgens, which is responsible for libido.

Hope I helped!!

michelle choi
(Login chelle_choi)
miss monet
December 19 2006, 9:28 PM

i've seen the herb 'damiana' mentioned for increasing libido..here's more info:

Damiana is an herbal shrub that grows in the southwestern United States and Mexico. It is known as a strong aphrodisiac with a variety of reported effects on both the hormonal and reproductive systems. It is most widely used to enhance sexual potency and is said to induce a dream-like state of euphoria that can spark sexual desire and performance.

The active ingredients in damiana herb are substances known as terpenes. Supplements of the herb are available in capsules, tablets, tinctures and teas. The usual dosage in capsule form is 400-800 mg taken two or three times per day for capsules and ½ to ¾ teaspoon (2-3 ml) of tincture taken two to three times per day. A potent tea can be made from damiana leaves by steeping a teaspoon of dried herb in a cup of water for about fifteen minutes.

It may take a few days for the effects of damiana herb, which are usually mild, to be felt. The herb is considered safe, though some side effects have been reported. There may be a mild laxative effect from damiana herb consumption, as well as gastrointestinal effects. Blood sugar levels and kidney function can sometimes be affected by damiana herb as well. In very high doses, side effects may include disorientation, dizziness, headache or insomnia. Since its effects on the female hormonal system are not entirely understood, damiana herb should not be taken during pregnancy.

Several drug interactions are possible with the use of damiana herb. Since the herb is a substance known as an alpha 2-noradrenergic antagonist, it can interfere with prescription medications that have similar actions. These include medications to lower blood pressure and treat depression.

Miss Monet
(Login friskyflirt)
December 20 2006, 5:06 AM

Thanks girls for your responses! Smile

Katrina --
I goofed on the whole "Maca rumor". It's GABA not Maca that I heard the "only for older women" rumor. Silly me. Tongue Maca really does sound great, though! I think I'm going to give it a try...

Michelle --
Yeah, I totally forgot about Damiana! Not sure if it helps with NBE but I've read that it does *wonders* for low libido. So perhaps I'll give it a shot if Maca doesn't pull through. Though I wonder if it would interfere with my birth control? Hmmm... should ask my doctor first...

Anna
(Login anna-a)
December 20 2006, 8:56 AM

Hey,

Does anyone know whether Maca interferes with birth control? I've sent an e-mail to a firm selling MacaGold but they didn't respond at all!

Thanks

Anna

Miss Monet
(Login friskyflirt)
December 20 2006, 10:48 AM

That would be good to know! Hope they respond back... Let us know what they say!

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
Gelatanized Maca
December 20 2006, 1:38 PM

Hi Katrina,
I take a powdered form of gelatanized Maca. I consider the gelatanized form to be like an extract of an herb. The package states to take 1/2 to 1 teaspoon or more of the powder per day. I take 1/2 Tablespoon (roughly 1 and 1/2 teaspoons). I am nervous about taking more. There is very little scientific information about maca. There are generations of people that have used it, but that is not enough evidence in my opinion to say the herb is without risks.

The amount I am taking is probably having an effect on my body. I have taken it for little more than a month and it still may be months more before a noticable effect is achieved. I am following my own advice to take what I feel is the minimal amount necessary to produce an effect. In this case, the effect may be months away. I say that any hormone effect from an herb like maca or Vitex would be more likely to be noticible within about 3 cycles. After all these herbs are stimulating hormone production in our bodies. Phytoestrogens (many of the other NBE herbs) are actually estrogen like substances, albiet at a much lower effect than actual estrogen. They produce nearly immediate results because your body is not creating a hormone out of them, they are actually the hormone itself.

Remember, if you are trying to stimulate your body to produce a hormone then you have to do several things. 1. Take the right substance at the right dose to produce the effect. 2. Supply all the necessary extra ingredients your body needs to build the hormone. 3. Be patient.

Over-dosing on a substance might actually hinder your outcome. Unfortunately for us, we are the pioneers in this type of research. No one can tell us what dose per pound we need to take to achieve our effects. Err on the side of caution. You can always increase your dose, but if you take too much you can't always undo what you have done.

I will keep you posted of maca's effect on me. So far, no double D's, but I also haven't grown a beard, so I guess it's safe to continue...lol

waxingmoon

Corrie
(Login Corrie73)
December 20 2006, 11:25 PM

Hi everyone --

Maca sounds great. Please let us all know if it seems to be working for those of you who are taking it.

Regarding Damiana, I just started taking it about 1 week ago, along with Royal Jelly and Ginsing. Almost immediately I noticed a big change in my libido...After years of being a full time mother, and going on and off of birth control pills, and just being tired out a lot, my libido has not always been as strong as I'd like. But after taking these herbs, WOW!!! (My boyfriend is very happy!) I know that royal jelly and ginsing are supposed to have positive effects on libido as well, but my gut instinct is that it is the damiana that made the major difference. I am really, really happy with this development, and if the extra herbs help with NBE too, then terrific!

So, that's my two cents. Hope it helps.

Good luck to all!

Elluci
(Login elluci)
Maca is available in Singapore Smile
February 6 2007, 5:41 AM

Hey Cher, Maca Root is indeed, available at all Guardian Pharmacies in Singapore, as with DAmiana I think. The parkway parade guardian was where I saw it and I think they had damiana pills too.

If ya keen on more pills, you can check out GNC (the best for discounts with their V.I.P. card), Guardian and Watsons(price list almost identical), NTUC Unity(prices are cheaper for some supplement brands), and Nature's Farm (So-so on prices and quantity).

Yep. I kinda searched these 4 shops for my supplements and on their quality and quantity. Yep. If there's anything, just drop me a mail.

Big Grin

NBE and Maca
July 8 2009 at 8:52 AM
sandy (Login sandy111)
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if i added maca to PM would it affect the effect of PM.Since maca balances hormones and the herbs we take increase estrogen would then taking maca like cancel the whole effect?
I was thinking of adding maca for booty growth or maybe just wait when i am done with BE?

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
Re: NBE and Maca
July 10 2009, 1:48 PM

Hi Sandy,

I am not sure whether there would be competition for the binding sites or not with Maca. Supposedly maca is not estrogenic like PM, but there is not a lot of scientific literature about it.

My thought is wait. Maca does seem to effect hormones in that it increases them and an increase in your body's natural estrogen would likely be counterproductive to your use of PM.

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

sandy
(Login sandy111)
July 11 2009, 8:31 AM

Thanks Waxingmoom,

It would be great if we knew how exactly Maca works..It would have been good for our nbe programs if it increased other non estrogenic hormones maybe like progesterone since it is better if we increase those hormones together in a balanced way.But i won't risk my future program with experimenting.

Lovemy2
(no login)
September 19 2009, 3:57 AM

I am taking PM and maca together. Started last month and have added vitex (chasteberry). I'll let you know in a few months!

sandy
(Login sandy111)
September 21 2009, 8:37 AM

I added maca to my PM routin too.I take natrol and now brand.Now brand is gelitanized and natrol extracts.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon