Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

I'm finally back. (and looking for people to help me research something)

I've actually had reliable internet for a few months now, but been too busy to return here, and, besides, too poor to actually do any NBE.

I'm still too poor, but some new research that has come out recently indicates that most of the common anti-androgen herbs we've been using are also anti-estrogenic as well. This might work out for those who are slightly high or even into estrogen dominance, but if you're like me and low on BOTH E and P, while high on T, things could get iffy.

One thing I've found that is an exception to this is something no one has used yet that I'm aware of, and that is any plant or other source of naturally occurring coumarin. This is the natural chemical originally discovered in yellow sweetclover that was making cattle hemorrhage when the plant was infested with certain fungi which naturally converted the chemical to what led to the production of the synthetic coumadin.

Coumarin, however, has an entirely different repertoire of medicinal effects and NO PROVEN TOXICITY, unlike coumadin and other converted "coumarins".

One of these noted effects is that it is a very powerful natural androgen receptor antagonist. It won't affect serum T, but it WILL absolutely DESTROY androgen receptors. Period. This would have the net effect over time of inducing CAIS (Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome).

Since coumarin itself is exceptionally bitter, even in foods that it's found in we'd never naturally consume anywhere near enough of that food to actually get medicinal effect. The more coumarin a food has, the less of that food you're naturally going to use in your recipes. Examples of foods it's in in no particular order are cassia cinnamon, tonka bean, peppermint leaf, and reishi/lingzhi mushroom, as a brief list, there are more.

Medicinally, the two notable sources are tonka bean and reishi/lingzhi.

Now, here's where I'm NOT finding the info I want. Tonka beans are EXPENSIVE. To get enough tonka bean to achieve medicinal effect would cost between $50-$100 A WEEK, and that's with straight up dried bean. Now, reishi on the other hand, costs significantly less, whereas I source tonka beans at $50/lb, I source reishi at $25/lb, however, it's unknown as far as I can tell what the concentration of coumarin in reishi is. I know it's present in medicinally notable concentration, but no more precise information than "it's there". Tonka beans are the highest recorded in a plant source. Reishi is the highest in a fungal source that ISN'T tainted by conversion to less desirable forms for our purposes. If you want a blood thinner, then you want the converted stuff, but if you want something to induce CAIS, you want the untainted stuff. Sadly, while every source of information I can find agrees that reishi has high coumarin content and NO tainting, none of them are telling me WHAT that content is. And this is important for more than one reason. If it's low enough, it might potentially be too low, because: unlike tonka bean whose worst side effect is the same as any legume, gas or bloating, reishi contains some potentially toxic compounds known as mycotoxins. Almost all mushrooms contain some amount of mycotoxins, but reishi is particularly high, high enough that it's considered a psychoactive mushroom. Overdosing on mycotoxins can be lethal.

So, what I'm wanting is for help in trying to track down the ppm or mg/g of coumarin in reishi. The latter format is actually more readily useful to me, but the former isn't that difficult to convert. It shouldn't be proving this hard to find, but, then again, I had Dr. Dukes to tell me how much coumarin tonka beans had, there is no such exhaustive resource for mushrooms. I'm going to keep trying, I haven't focused my research into the USDA resources yet, I've been doing more generalized and unfocused searching first. If anyone has access to any non-public resources, those could prove useful, as I am limited to only what is in the public domain and it is possible this information is hidden behind paywalls or other similar "professionals only" walls.

Now, all the above aside, I do want to make sure people realize that I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T use any of the already known anti-androgens. I am saying that if you've tried them and they either didn't help at all or didn't help as much as you thought they ought to have, perhaps you're facing the same battle I am with ridiculous T levels and highly sensitized androgen receptors, which is a lethal combination for affecting NBE chances.

By the way, another exception I found is white peony. However I think it's already been sufficiently covered by myself and others why white peony (peoniflorin being the active compound) doesn't work that well. If you think what I've discovered about coumarin is prohibitive, white peony is worse. It's a very effective androgen blocker on several levels, upregulation of aromatase, downregulation or 17-beta-HSD, downregulation of 5-alpha-reductase, and androgen receptor antagonism... however the required dose is so high that it's literally impossible to reach, and I'm not just talking about cost, I'm talking about actually consuming that many grams of rhizome (improperly referred to as root by most people, the roots are actually trimmed away from the rhizome and unused, rhizome is literally underground stem).

If you can get rhizome and then make tea or tincture with it, you MIGHT be able to get enough by drinking only true white peony tea instead of water or other liquids or by consuming literal shots of tincture. Note here, however, that teas that are commonly referred to as "white peony" are actually just conventional white tea with a fanciful name. It's like green tea, but even more immature. They literally pluck the stem and buds JUST as they bud of conventional tea and that's "white peony tea". Making a tea of real white peony rhizome is completely different. Any benefits from "white peony tea" are going to be exactly the same as from green tea, which while not none, are NOT peoniflorin EITHER.

There's also the matter that unless you have ovaries, the only benefit you WILL get from white peony is AR antagonism. This point doesn't apply to MOST users of this forum, but there is a subset of the subset of this forum who are male and who refuse to acknowledge this point. Coumarin only does AR antagonism as far as sex hormone effects are concerned, but it's found in far greater potency, and it works for everyone. The only two inhibitors to its use so far that I've found are cost (for plant sources) and possibly mycotoxic properties for mushroom source. We need to figure out the coumarin concentration in reishi before I can ascertain exactly how much using reishi would cost, if it's even possible to do so whilst avoiding mycotoxic effects.

EDIT: Just did the USDA search and they don't even include reishi in their database, under any name.

Welcome back to the forum.

The side effects seem to be extreme ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin

(14-01-2016, 11:17 AM)jannet.duff Wrote:  Welcome back to the forum.

The side effects seem to be extreme ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin

What are you referring to? This?

Quote:Coumarin is moderately toxic to the liver and kidneys, with a median lethal dose (LD50) of 275 mg/kg

That's very very high. The effective dose for destroying AR receptors is only 40mg/kg, well below median toxicity. It's just EXPENSIVE even in much lower doses than are medicinally effective, due to being slightly controlled like it is.

Other than that, all its other effects are purely in the plus category. If you suffer various ailments it is medicinal towards, benefit, if not, no harm done. Harm is only done if you get close to 275mg/kg. To put THAT in perspective, let's say you're an exceptionally tiny person and only weigh 90 lbs. That converts to a little less that 41 kg. We'll use 40 to be safe. You'd need to consume 1.75 KILOGRAMS of bean to reach toxicity. That's almost 4 pounds. That'd be closer to 200 dollars, consumed beans worth that much, all at once, to risk toxicity.

By the way. Almost anything is toxic to the liver if you eat too much. While the liver toxicity is high compared to many other foods, even fish oil is higher still. Almost anything you could drink except water is potentially toxic to the kidneys. And many foods are too if they aren't water soluble yet still able to reach the kidneys. Kidneys flush water soluble materials as part of their design, but they have to absorb anything else that reaches them, which can lead to toxicity.

Toxicity with reishi is MUCH easier to reach due to mycotoxins. Coumarin is the ONLY medicinally active compound in tonka beans.

EDIT: accidentally stated the effective dose was 35, it's 40. Actually it BEGINS to be effective as low as 20, but it's peak effectiveness is at 40. It drops off both below and above that dose.

Thanks for the clarification.

Now, the bit that does grab my intrest.

"This would have the net effect over time of inducing CAIS (Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome)"

(14-01-2016, 01:32 PM)jannet.duff Wrote:  Thanks for the clarification.

Now, the bit that does grab my intrest.

"This would have the net effect over time of inducing CAIS (Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome)"

LOL. It grabbed mine too let me tell you! It's better late than never... It won't reverse the androgenic damage already done, of course, but it will stop further damage, for good. Basically, yet another method for male chemical castration. There haven't, unfortunately, been any long term studies, yet. The research that goes this far is already VERY recent. Even if the same researchers went on to do a long term study, they likely won't be anywhere near publishing for years yet. If they proceeded to just let this research stand on its own and move on to other research entirely, who knows if anyone else has even picked it up for a longer term study or not. Therefore, how long it'd take to completely destroy your androgen receptors is not known. It could be you'd need to take it for years before full inducement occurs. Or it could be as little as a few months. I don't know. I am fairly sure that even if you don't manage to get physically rid of your testes if you have testes, you won't need to use coumarin forever. And women who clearly don't want to get rid of their ovaries and just want the damned PCOS to stop wouldn't either. This is definitely one component that has a set time period on it. Once its done its job, it's done.

Finally found what I was looking for. Apparently, depending on substrate, it may not even be present at all in reishi, which is not surprising since it is a mushroom and mushroom metabolites tend to vary greatly based on what the mushroom was growing on.

I haven't found out about what the amount is for sure when grown on Duane Wood logs as the substrate, the data I've found is for brown rice substrate, but it's definitely well below the concentration in tonka beans and also well below the concentrations of the mycotoxic compounds:

http://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/18/6/6663/pdf

I can't imagine with a number that low on that substrate that it gets anywhere near as good as the tonka bean, even if it manages to surpass the toxic compounds, it won't ever be cost effective. Whilst it costs half as much per poundage, it'd take several times as much product to achieve the desired effect. Not effective. At least, not for coumarin. I'm actually finding myself doubting its potential effectiveness for any kind of hormonal changes, it's been cited as having an effect on DHT levels, but, like saw palmetto, I'm just not seeing how based on what compounds it has.

EDIT: Oh fuck me. Apparently, I made the mistake of not verifying the extraction method used for the liquid extract they then tested. It was water extraction. Naturally. And, of course, that's going to skew the coumarin content DOWNWARDS. Since, like most hormone altering compounds, coumarin is lipophilic, or, lipid soluble. It'll dissolve and preserve best in lipids, slightly less in alcohol, and horridly in water.

Some brilliant writing and an interesting research topic. NBE really is an esoteric art and a science. Welcome back. To your and our healthy, happy boobs, bodies, and minds. Wink

I'm now finding some studies that have demonstrated that certain mutated strains of reishi do end up with tainted coumarins. I'm going to just say now I think reishi is too chancy to risk and put it up in the same category as licorice. Potentially powerful, but too much risk. The only things that MIGHT reduce the risk are how much you trust your supplier to keep their strains pure. Any signs of mutation should be killed off immediately. Even then, we've got the problem of just how much is there compared to the cytotoxic compounds? Is there enough that you can reach medicinal dose without going toxic? I have found nothing conclusive so far and would just recommend not using reishi for NBE purposes. It has other uses due to the mycotoxic compounds that are useful in low doses, but risky in high doses. Coumarin is a compound that requires high doses, which is antithetical to how you would usually use a mushroom product.

lol my god you seem like one of those mad scientist type people who I could see eventually inventing some sort of magical boobie elixir one day Big Grin

The European coumarin tolerable daily intake is 0.1 mg/kg based on the liver toxicity data.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon