Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Saw Palmetto and PM

I've been taking Saw Palmetto for about a year, mainly to reduce hair loss, it seemed to slow the loss somewhat though it's hard to say for certain that it had a positive effect. I am about to start on PM as soon as it arrives, already ordered it.

Will continuing Saw Palmetto help or hurt the effects on hair PM may produce? Yes, I actually care way more about what PM will do for my hair more than whatever it may or may not do with my chest. I am TG, and yet I know lots of cis-women who are more flat-chested than me, and are considered not just by me, but generally, beautiful. I'll like whatever feminizing effects it has, but I mainly just want to keep my hair...

If you are worried about hair loss, make sure you are not deficient on Iron or Zinc, since either will make you lose hair. Also take biotin and a good hair vitamin. There is also a good shampoo or too to reverse hair loss, PM me to remind me and I'll look it up again. (I stopped and reversed hair loss for myself accouple years ago.)

- JJ

(21-01-2016, 10:54 AM)Jaded Jade Wrote:  If you are worried about hair loss, make sure you are not deficient on Iron or Zinc, since either will make you lose hair. Also take biotin and a good hair vitamin. There is also a good shampoo or too to reverse hair loss, PM me to remind me and I'll look it up again. (I stopped and reversed hair loss for myself accouple years ago.)

- JJ

Please post that here too JJ, I wouldn't mind trying that out either.

(21-01-2016, 07:53 AM)PaulaJ Wrote:  I've been taking Saw Palmetto for about a year, mainly to reduce hair loss, it seemed to slow the loss somewhat though it's hard to say for certain that it had a positive effect. I am about to start on PM as soon as it arrives, already ordered it.

Will continuing Saw Palmetto help or hurt the effects on hair PM may produce? Yes, I actually care way more about what PM will do for my hair more than whatever it may or may not do with my chest. I am TG, and yet I know lots of cis-women who are more flat-chested than me, and are considered not just by me, but generally, beautiful. I'll like whatever feminizing effects it has, but I mainly just want to keep my hair...

Reishi-reishi mushrooms significantly reduced levels of 5-alpha reductase, preventing conversion of testosterone into the more potent DHT. High levels of DHT are a risk factor for conditions such as benign prostatatic hypertrophy (BPH), acne, and baldness. You may want to also try adding green tea into your diet.
Anything that helps stop your testosterone getting converted to DHT is going to help. The link will take you to the list of most of the herbs we use, and what they effect.

http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=22417

As for the shampoo, I think I'll hold off on trying too many new things at once, so I know which ones are working for me. I'm currently going back and forth between volumizing shampoos from Garnier and Pantene, doing that makes what I have look good, though in all honesty, it looks thin in a few places the next day or especially when wet.

Overall though, my hair loss has been very gradual, and I'm a bit more concerned about it than I probably should be. I am lucky to still have most of my hair at my age, and hopeful that PM will help more, though since no one has said otherwise, I will continue with the Saw Palmetto also, and I will keep iron and zinc within normal levels. I didn't mention that green tea was already a regular part of my diet.

Ola!
In my experience and that of some people I know, some popular hair products actually encourage hair loss or don't encourage recovering hair. I have personal experience with the following:

Several people: Ginger/ cinnamon (powder, tea) as a hair tonic. I don't know if ginger oil works the same.
Also, rosemary and peppermint essential oils (diluted, as that is strong stuff)
No shampooing at all: I wash my hair with other stuff:conditioner, vinegar (no, it doesn't smell after as I have had it sniff checked), baking soda. Shampoo is pretty close to fancy clothing detergent in little bottles and can cause hair follicle issues and close pores. Some essential oils have sort of phyto-estrogenic qualities and or balance that DHT issues on the scalp that may cause hair loss (similar, sometimes, to what people use essential oils for with hormonal acne). Also, some people don't realize that maybe their scalp is under-nourished and abused, even if they used "high quality" stuff. Even things like oil therapy can go a long way towards rejuvenating the scalp and often it is simple things right out of he kitchen. I was reading something on a site once and it was like: "Look at all those upside down granola hippies with their long thick hair!" (inversion therapy is another thing people do for hair growth. Big Grin
Good luck!

I used to just wash my hair with whatever bar of soap was handy on the sink. But now I'm begining to think that was probably not a good decision.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SZCG0C/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you look up all the active ingredients in it pretty much all of them are listed in various WebMD and Wikipedia and other places as being studied or confirmed as being good for Androgenic Alopecia and DHT based hair loss.

When I was using this pre HRT it seemed to help allot, I used it accouple times a week.

- JJ

(22-01-2016, 03:09 PM)Jaded Jade Wrote:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SZCG0C/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you look up all the active ingredients in it pretty much all of them are listed in various WebMD and Wikipedia and other places as being studied or confirmed as being good for Androgenic Alopecia and DHT based hair loss.

When I was using this pre HRT it seemed to help allot, I used it accouple times a week.

- JJ

I will look into it, thanks JJ

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon