Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Fenugreek side effects?

Sad 

Hi all,

Possible TMI so sorry guys!

I am very new to this so I'm not sure what's happening. About three weeks ago I started taking fenugreek (610mcg 3x a day) and that's it. I didn't want to mess about with my hormones too much because I do have the Mirena IUD and I live with my boyfriend and have zero interest in getting pregnant.

After a couple days I was dizzy and nauseous and I felt really gross, and by about four days into taking it I started spotting. Not too much, not enough that I was worried about it, but after a few days the bleeding had increased and I was annoyed so I stopped the fenugreek on day 7 and it took about 3 days for the spotting to clear up.

I waited about 10 days and started taking it again last Wednesday when my period started, but this time only one capsule. I figured I'd should slowly introduce it into my system. But its been six days now and I've been having shooting chest pains just under my breasts. Its not constant and doesn't seem to be related to any activity or movement, just sharp pain, although it does seem to be worse when I'm lying on my side and I am bra-less.

I'm not sure if this is the fenugreek or if I have other health issues to worry about so any advice or personal stories are appreciated!

Thanks!

Stop taking it! Definitely stop. Fenu
with the other doesn't mix for some reason. I ended up in hospital after taking fenugreek mixes with goats rue. Same thing , dizzy then blacked out and cut my face open. Stitches, near cracked ribs too.
Don't risk it. Unless you can take herbs and the birth control under guidance it's a real gamble.

(09-02-2016, 09:40 PM)ellacraig Wrote:  Stop taking it! Definitely stop. Fenu
with the other doesn't mix for some reason. I ended up in hospital after taking fenugreek mixes with goats rue. Same thing , dizzy then blacked out and cut my face open. Stitches, near cracked ribs too.
Don't risk it. Unless you can take herbs and the birth control under guidance it's a real gamble.

Yeah I haven't taken any today but wasn't sure if I was just over-reacting.

I hope you're okay oh my goodness that sounds terrible!

(09-02-2016, 09:58 PM)CaisealUchta Wrote:  

Yeh I'm ok now. Took a few weeks to get over the ribs though. But I thought the same thing "maybe I'm overreacting so il just try some again and see" then next minute...

(09-02-2016, 10:04 PM)ellacraig Wrote:  

Yeh I'm ok now. Took a few weeks to get over the ribs though. But I thought the same thing "maybe I'm overreacting so il just try some again and see" then next minute...

I'm glad you're alright. Must've been scary. I'm surprised there isn't more online about side effects. Cos I tried to read up and everything was pretty blasé.

(09-02-2016, 10:38 PM)CaisealUchta Wrote:  
(09-02-2016, 10:04 PM)ellacraig Wrote:  

I'm glad you're alright. Must've been scary. I'm surprised there isn't more online about side effects. Cos I tried to read up and everything was pretty blasé.

Yeh on its own I think it's pretty harmless but once you start combining it with other stuff then ure in trouble . Plus all our body chemistrys are different, what you can handle I might not be able too ya know.
Huh I'm do believe though, go with ure gut ... Smile

If you still want to introduce fenugreek into your system again then I would definitely recommend you to lower your dose a bit especially if you are taking this daily, but this can also be an interaction with your birth control. Personally i noticed a quicker metabolism on fenugreek, making me hungry all the time even just after dinner, stools more often too. Maybe you just ate too little..

(09-02-2016, 11:57 PM)hannah Wrote:  If you still want to introduce fenugreek into your system again then I would definitely recommend you to lower your dose a bit especially if you are taking this daily, but this can also be an interaction with your birth control. Personally i noticed a quicker metabolism on fenugreek, making me hungry all the time even just after dinner, stools more often too. Maybe you just ate too little..

I don't think I'll try and introduce it again. I was already taking just one capsule daily, and I think trying to split them would be quite messy lol.

You're probably right about the not eating enough; I didn't change the amount of food I was eating at all. But, the dizziness wasn't my main concern. It was mostly the chest pain & extra bleeding, so I'm not sure I want to try try it again.

Thank you for your input Smile

excess bleeding is usually a sign of too much estrogen

you might be estrogen dominant

have you taken a hormone test?

(11-02-2016, 11:03 AM)Orangepeels Wrote:  excess bleeding is usually a sign of too much estrogen

you might be estrogen dominant

have you taken a hormone test?

No I haven't. I'm not even sure how to go about that, actually.

The IUD I have has been making me irregular though, and I did read (just recently) that if your bleeding is already irregular, fenugreek can make that worse. So I just assumed it was because of that, to be totally honest.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon