Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Spearmint Tea

Q about Spearmint Tea
August 2 2007 at 7:52 PM Lola (Login Lola9)
Hi everyone,

I've been a visitor here for a little over a month--just absorbing as much information as I can from this great resource (I'm so glad I found this site!). I've been on a Wonderup regimen for a little over 3 weeks now, nothing happening yet, though I don't expect that. Recently I've been incorporating Spearmint tea into my regimen as well.

I've been searching the posts on spearmint tea and though I've seen a consensus that you have to drink it during the follicular phase (or first 14 days of cycle, beginning with period day 1) I can't find any explanation as to why. I like the tea so am planning to just drink it everyday--just wanted to reassure myself that doing this won't hurt my efforts at all. Does anyone know if there's anything counter-productive to NBE by drinking Spearmint tea during your entire cycle?

Thanks in advance for any insight. I'll try to get my program page posted here so I can properly join the community and track my progress!

Kari
(Login PinkNika)
hmmm...
August 2 2007, 8:22 PM

I want to know the same thing...I am sure you can drink it your whole cycle, or maybe all the time! But I am not sure...anyone??? I know a few has purchased here on the board...any answers ladies?? I have been drinking the tea since day one of my cycle, so I would like to know too!

*~Viva la Cleavage!!~*

bonnette
(Login bonnette)
Re: Q about Spearmint Tea
August 2 2007, 9:53 PM

hey girls

i have no answer to your questions but i think the idea came from Wahaika. and maybe because the androgens are highest at that time.

My question is where the hell did you manage to get the spearmint tea from? concidering i'm from europa. i tried Italy, Germany, Finland and nothing. is there any european herbsite that would not charge so much on shipping since the herb itself is pretty cheap. and is the anyone with results on how it works?

Bonnette

Lola
(Login Lola9)
Where to buy Spearmint
August 2 2007, 10:28 PM

Hi Bonnette,
I'm in the US, so probably can't help you much, but I found my Spearmint tea at my local Co-op/ natural foods store. They have a bulk herbs/ tea section and I just bought the loose leaves--it's unbelievable cheap. Maybe you can check out comparable stores where you are? I've only been drinking it for about 2 weeks so too soon to tell for me if its doing having any effect.

Davilee
(Login Davi-lee)
August 7 2007, 10:38 AM

hey all,...if you have a garden spot or just a big planter you can get spearmint seeds or rhizomes and start your own plants.
Its very strong grower and will grow just about anywhere that has enough sunlight.
Also,someone told me they could buy spearmint on Ebay,couple of pounds for $3.00 U.S.

Fluffy Sheep
(Login shimmer123)
August 15 2007, 8:12 PM

I am going to try this out, I'm also based in europe and found some spearmint tea in this site http://www.nbtea.co.uk/index.php (i've actually ordered green tea from them before and they were fine with delivery). Not sure if it's the spearmint tea (pure one) or Morrocan mint tea (with spearmint) that I need to get?

Lisa121
(no login)
August 15 2007, 9:13 PM

It is the moroccan mint you are looking for, it is also called nana mint I believe.

I don't think it matter if it is mixed with camomile or anything else for that matter as long as it has the right amount in the bags.

Delia
(no login)
August 18 2007, 1:45 PM

Spearmint should be better known for blocking androgens. I'm surprised it hasn't had more of a mention here.

I bought spearmint tea today
July 18 2007 at 8:31 PM momXseven (Login momXseven)
I read on here the other day that spearmint could help with growth so I buy some spearmint tea bags. I made it into cold iced tea and it's SO GOOD. I'm not one to drink hot tea much but I do love iced tea.

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
Re: I bought spearmint tea today
July 18 2007, 8:46 PM

I think spearmint tea has an anti androgen effect so don't know if it'll do anything if you don't have a raised androgen level to start with - they're using it on the male body forum to combat body hair (I've bought some and it is nice though!)

bonnette
(Login bonnette)
July 18 2007, 9:05 PM

girls did you buy the spearmint online or in real shop? i haven't come across in shops yet Sad and online shipping costs are a bit too much for the cheap tea

Bonnette

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
July 18 2007, 9:11 PM

I couldn't find pure spearmint so bought spearmint and camomile, it's 50:50 dried herb and gives 1g of spearmint per tea bag - not sure how much of that you actually get or how much you need, probably more info on male body forum. I bought mine in Hollad and Barrett (UK health food shop) but also seen it in the supermarket. I'd be happy to post you some but not sure how much it'd cost?

momXseven
(Login momXseven)
July 18 2007, 9:12 PM

I got mine from Amazon.com

Davi Lee
(Login Davi-lee)
Grow it yourself...
July 19 2007, 11:30 PM

Its easy to grow,just get a big flowerpot and fill with soil and buy a SpM plant at a herb nursery or Ive even seen them at the big hardware dept. stores like Home Depot.
Actually,just ask around amongst friends,somebody is bound to have a Mint patch in their garden,that you can get a start from.
You only need a little,it grows fast.

sophie
(Login sophie9)
July 20 2007, 12:57 PM

oh yeah! that's true - mints are very easy to grow. you can grow them right outside your front door in a bit of soil, or in a pot. it tastes good just to eat the leaves as well!

lindyrose
(Login lindyrose)
July 20 2007, 2:08 PM

Is it just spearmint that helps with NBE or does peppermint do the same thing? I have some peppermint I'm growing outside this year.

bonnette
(Login bonnette)
July 20 2007, 5:55 PM

hey girls

i'm also very interested in the spearmint but havent found one yet. what i could say is that peppermint is definately not the same, i tried for two months and my acne actually got worse.

i'm not at home now but as soon as i return i will contact and maybe we can make a deal. by the way is it also possible to grow it indoors in the pot?

Bonnette

Davilee
(Login Davi-lee)
peppermint essential oil.....
July 20 2007, 7:22 PM

Yes peppermint is the source for Menthol,it is a very strong oil.
Ive read one spot says that it is fine to use ,no prob.,and another spot says you can get sick from menthol toxicity.Youd have to ingest a lot of the oil.
Spearmint is different,it doesnt contain menthol,or at least it has it in very small amounts.
Pennyroyal is another mint Im interested in.
Its very strong also.Its used as a insect repellent.
It has warnings about it also.

Lisa121
(no login)
July 23 2007, 12:49 PM

Apparently you only need to drink Spearmint tea twice a day on five days during the follicular phase (first 14 days of your cycle) to take effect and lower free testosterone.

Below is an abstract of a study conducted on androgen levels and hirsutism in women whic gives the details.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/114124091/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

lindyrose
(Login lindyrose)
July 27 2007, 7:05 PM

I can't seem to find straight spearmint tea either. I can only find a spearmint/peppermint mix. I grew spearmint last year in my garden and I wanted to try something different so I planted peppermint instead this year. frickafracka

lindyrose
(Login lindyrose)
July 27 2007, 7:23 PM

I found some at herbalremedies.com 30bags for $2.84

Lost Sheep
(Login tinky_winky_18)
July 27 2007, 10:48 PM

first 14 days of your cycle? is that the first day of your cycle then u drink the tea for 14 days once u get your period ?

Lisa121
(no login)
July 28 2007, 10:31 AM

As I understand it you only need to drink the tea on five of the first fourteen days or so of your cycle, basically until ovulation.
Your first day of your cycle is the day you get your period, so you could drink it during the first five days while you have your period, or on any of the other days following it up until approximately day 14 or whenever you usually ovulate depending on the length of your cycle.
I hope this makes it clearer.

Spearmint tea to reduce excess hair
February 21 2007 at 10:32 AM Lillea (Login Lillea)
Wow, I wonder if this acts like saw palmetto, blocking the conversion of testosterone to DHT

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6376599.stm

Lisa121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: Spearmint tea to reduce excess hair
February 22 2007, 7:51 PM

Thanks for that, this is interesting and I will definitely give it a try and add it to my routine.
The only spearmint I could find today was one that is half and half with camomile, I guess I will just use two bags per cup to get the 100% mint in it. Now I just have to try it. :-)

Maybe you could add this article to the herbs info page, threads get lost on here so quickly just because the forum moves so fast, and like that people would get a better chance of having a look at it or finding it again.

Andrea
(Login Andrea)
February 22 2007, 9:33 PM

I've seen spearmint tea promoted as an anti-acne treatment.

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
cool!
February 22 2007, 11:11 PM

I have a bottle of this essential oil somewhere...now I can put it to some good use.

Vivian Shih
(Login BabeVi)
February 23 2007, 7:25 PM

Spearmint tea taste great, I had it before when I was in Taiwan. Taste great, balancing your hormone. What can be better!? LOL.

Greatest Boobie Love,
Vivian Shih

Lisa121
(no login)
February 23 2007, 11:39 PM

Yes, it is very tasty, I tried the Spearmint and Camomile tea and have found that actually it has the full amounts of both herbs in the bags so not double dosing after all. It tastes major yummie and I actually can't stop drinking it. I had my first cups yesterday and am on my fourth today, it just is so good. Maybe I will have to come down on my nettle root dosages a bit if I keep going like this, it is a nice alternative to just drinking plain water, so thanks for the discovery. :-)

something to reduce hair??
June 22 2009 at 8:50 PM kelly (Login kelly1984)
does anyone know of any herbs that i could take to reduce body hair, i have it everyway, makes me feel so depressed. i think i remember spearmint being mentioned? also would you know of a herb that contains the female hormones??? thanks

Sunshine
(Login Sun.shine)
Re: something to reduce hair??
June 22 2009, 9:33 PM

Kelly,

Do you have excess androgens? That could be the underlying culprit. If you have access to chapparal extract, you could apply that to the areas of concern. Aveeno makes a Positively Smooth body lotion that makes the hair you shave a little finer, but it takes time.

Herbs you might want to stay away from if the situation is really distressing for you: Biotin (Vit B7), MSM, high doses of magnesium and zinc - these promote hair growth. I find MSM and Biotin especially speed up the rate of hair growth, thickening it too.

I hope someone can recommend an herb to help you out further.

mel67
(Login mel67)
June 22 2009, 9:56 PM

heard of body sugaring. google it and their will be a recipe(you just need sugar, lemon, a bit of water, molasses optional). Its similar to waxing, but this method makes your grow thinner with time. You have to be patient with this method, but I think it will pay off. spearmint tea helps women with hirsutism.

wannabecee
(Login wannabecee)
June 22 2009, 11:55 PM

we all have body hair, but if it's excessive, than saw palmetto will help. Do you also have acne? that's another indicator of higher androgens.

Mel
(Login melly007)
June 23 2009, 5:43 PM

Try to drink 2 cups of spearmint tea daily, in the follicular phase...might help...There was a medical research about this and it effectiveness not so long ago...I'll try to look for it and post it here...

Ok found it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6376599.stm

Hope this help...

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon