Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Galactogouges

galactogouges
March 6 2008 at 11:08 PM
may (Login Cselestyna)
hi! so i had no idea what galactogouges were and this is something i found on the net. i only put the findings for the herbals part, the others were drugs, and there for not Natural, and seemed kind of harmful, so here is the herbal part of the report i found!

i wasn't sure if the whole background would be helpful or not, so i just copied and pasted the whole thing. (BTW i found this on a site dedicated to breast feeding)

BACKGROUND
Galactogogues (or lactogogues) are medications or other substances believed to assist initiation,
maintenance, or augmentation of maternal milk production.Breast milk production is a complex physiologic process involving physical and
emotional factors and the interaction of multiple hormones, the most important of which is believed to be
prolactin. With parturition and expulsion of the placenta, progesterone falls and a full milk supply is
initiated (Lactogenesis II).2 Through interaction with the hypothalamus and anterior pituitary, dopamine
agonists inhibit, and dopamine antagonists increase, prolactin secretion and thereby milk production
(endocrine control). Thereafter, prolactin levels gradually decrease but milk supply is maintained or
increased by local feedback mechanisms (autocrine control).3
Therefore, an increase in prolactin levels is
needed to increase, but not maintain, milk supply. If the breasts are not emptied regularly and thoroughly,
milk production declines. Likewise, more frequent and thorough emptying of the breasts typically results in
increased milk production. Use of galactogogues for faltering milk supply should generally be reserved for
situations after both a thorough evaluation for treatable causes (e.g., maternal hypothyroidism or
medication) and increased frequency of breastfeeding or pumping or expression has not been successful.

HERBAL/NATURAL GALACTOGOUGES
Throughout world history women have used certain herbs or foods to enhance their milk supply. Most of
these substances have not been scientifically evaluated but traditional use suggests safety and some
efficacy. The mechanisms of action for all are unknown. Herbs commonly mentioned as galactogogues
include Fenugreek, Goat’s Rue, Milk Thistle, Anise, Basil, Blessed Thistle, Fennel seeds, Marshmallow, and
others. Beer is commonly used in some cultures, but alcohol may actually reduce milk production and there
is no evidence to support that the yeasts in beer are effective galactogogues.
It is of note that herbs and dietary supplements were removed by the Federal 1994 Dietary Supplement
Act from undergoing the rigorous evaluation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration that is required for
drugs. The composition of herbal and dietary supplements are unknown and have been known to contain
toxic substances. This is especially true for herbs from mainland China. There is no standard dosing,
preparation, or composition, and fraudulent preparations may be a risk.

Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) is the most commonly recommended herbal galactogogue,
treasured as a spice and medicine throughout India and the Middle East for thousands of years. It is a
member of the pea family listed as GRAS (generally regarded as safe) by the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration. Usual dose is one to four capsules (580–610 mg) three to four times per day, although as
with most herbal remedies there is no standard dosing. The higher of these doses may be required in
relactating or adoptive mothers. Alternatively, it can be taken as one cup of strained tea three times per day
(¼ tsp seeds steeped in 8 oz water for 10 minutes).33
Huggins34 reported the anecdotal use of fenugreek in at
least 1200 women with increased milk supply within 24 to 72 hours. Reported side effects are rare: maple
like odor to sweat, milk, and urine; diarrhea; and increased asthmatic symptoms. Use during pregnancy is
not recommended because of its uterine stimulant effects. Fenugreek is known to lower blood glucose, so
caution is advised. Two recent preliminary reports suggest effectiveness.35,36

Goat’s Rue (Galega officinalis) is a traditional galactogogue, widely recommended in Europe, based
on observations of increased milk supply when fed to cows in the 1900s. No controlled human trials have
been done, and no adverse effects have been reported with the following possible exception: Maternal
ingestion of a lactation tea containing extracts of licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra), fennel, anise, and goat’s rue
was linked to drowsiness, hypotonia, lethargy, emesis, and poor suckling in two breastfed neonates. An
infection work-up was negative, and symptoms and signs resolved on discontinuation of the tea and a 2-day
break from breastfeeding.37
The tea was not tested for contaminants or adulterants, and there have been no
other adverse events reported in Europe or South America, where the herb is also used as a hypoglycemic
agent. It is usually used as a tea (1 tsp dried leaves steeped in 8 oz water for 10 minutes) with 1 cup taken
three times a day.33

Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) has been used historically throughout Europe, but there are no
randomized controlled trials to validate its use. The plant is still commonly known as St. Mary’s thistle in
honor of the Virgin Mary. Early Christians believed that the white colored veins in the leaves were
symbolic of her breast milk. The American Herbal Products Association gives it a rating of 1, meaning that
the herb may be safely consumed when used appropriately and does not contraindicate its use during
lactation.38
It is used as a strained tea (simmer 1 tsp crushed seeds in 8 oz water for 10 minutes) taking two
to three cups per day.

(this information was C/Ped from a breastfeeding report.)
here is the site address if you are wondering

http://breastfeedingmadesimple.com/bms%2...gogues.pdf

lilmama40
(no login)
Re: galactogouges
March 6 2008, 11:45 PM

Yep... we're basically enlarging our breasts by getting them to a pre-lactation stage.

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
March 7 2008, 9:17 AM

WU contains galactogogues but doesn't cause lactation. I think they are good for NBE in combination with other herbs like estrogenic and anti-androgenic or whatever the individual recquirements are.

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
March 8 2008, 7:39 PM

May,
I thought this was a very useful post. Thanks for bringing it here. I copied it over to the Information on Herbs part of the forum so that future generations of NBE participants will be able to find it.

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
March 10 2008, 5:06 AM

Even though I've been here for quite some time now I still don't get it. So if all of these plus the other herbs used by mom's for breast milk are for encouraging prolactin, than what NBE herbs are just estrogenic.. not galactogouges?

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
March 10 2008, 5:07 AM

I think soy, PM, red clover - all the strong ones but not really sure.

hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
March 10 2008, 5:12 AM

Ah but those are the one's I'm supposed to avoid because I'm still young! ahhhhhh

Galactogogue more effective than fenugreek?
July 3 2006 at 10:02 PM wsdm (Login wsdm)

Touching on my previous threads about galactogogues/prolactin/fat storage and herbs and race, I found the following article about a galactogogue from Indonesia.

That was shown to be more effective than fenugreek. I will see if I can read the entire paper at my library and see what doses of the herbs they were giving in the trials.

The herb is Coleus amboinicus otherwise known as

spanish thyme,
cuban oregano,
Country Borage,
Greek Oregano,
False Oregano,
Stygian Thyme

Australia: Five-in-One
East Timor: Soldar
Indonesia: Daun Kucing, Daun Kambing
Malaysia: Daun Bangun-bangun
Philippines: Oregano, Suganda
Portugal: Oregano
Vietnam: Can Day La, Rau Cang, Rau Thom Lun
West Indies: French Tobago Thyme, Spanish Thyme

and is a tropical perennial

Excerpt: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16672214&query_hl=4&itool=pubmed_docsum

Lactagogue effects of Torbangun, a Bataknese traditional cuisine.

Damanik R, Wahlqvist ML, Wattanapenpaiboon N.

Dept. of Community Nutrition, Faculty of Human Ecology IPB University, Kampus IPB Darmaga, Bogor-16610, Indonesia. damanik@ipb.ac.id

Coleus amboinicus Lour (CA) has been used as a breast milk stimulant (a lactagogue) by Bataknese people in Indonesia for hundreds of years. However, the traditional use of CA is not well documented, and scientific evidence is limited to establish CA as a lactagogue. This investigation was conducted to elucidate the effect of traditional use of CA during the first month of lactation on quantity and quality of the breast milk. The results collected from the study show that CA supplementation increased breast milk production without compromising the nutritional quality of the breast milk. Lactating women receiving CA supplementation had a 65% increase in milk volume during the last two weeks of supplementation (from Day 14 to Day 28). This increase was greater than that of lactating women receiving Molocco+B12 tablets (10%) or Fenugreek seeds (20%). The residual effects of CA supplementation were seen even after the supplementation had ended for one month. Results of the present study confirmed the belief and the practice amongst the Bataknese people that CA can be used as a lactagogue in humans, and the use of CA might be suitable for lactating women in general.

PMID: 16672214 [PubMed - in process]

wsdm
(Login wsdm)
More on 'Torbangun', Indonesian Galactogogue
July 3 2006, 10:10 PM

The use of a putative lactagogue plant on breast milk production in Simalungun, North Sumatra, Indonesia.

Damanik R, Wahlqvist ML, Wattanapenpaiboon N.

Asia Pacific Health & Nutrition Centre, Monash Asia Institute, Monash University, Melbourne-AUSTRALIA.

Food beliefs about pregnancy and lactation are widespread amongst traditional women. These include the use of various plant foods to stimulate lactation. We have previously reported, on the basis of focus group studies, that lactating women in Simalungun, North Sumatra Indonesia have a tradition to consume the 'Torbangun' plant, as a soup for one month after parturition. They believe that Torbangun stimulates breast milk production. More than this, Torbangun soup is considered to return the mother to a healthy state after delivery. Torbangun is thought to serve several purposes, not only to enhance breast milk production, but to decrease the risk of placental retention ('act as a uterine cleansing agent'), and restore energy and strength lost during parturition. The tradition has been practiced for hundreds of years, and adherence is still strong. An intervention study was conducted in Simalungun North Sumatra Indonesia on 75 lactating women. Subjects were randomly assigned into three groups: Moloco (reference group), Fenugreek or Torbangun. The subjects were provided with either Moloco+B12 trade mark sugar coated tablets, Fenugreek capsules or Torbangun soup. Moloco+B12 trade mark tablets and Fenugreek capsules are supplements used by lactating women in Indonesia and in European countries, respectively, in the belief that they stimulate breast milk production. All subjects took the assigned supplement from day 2 after birth for one month. It was observed that Torbangun improved the quantity by 10% and retained the quality (in regard to macro- and micronutrient composition) of breast milk. The use of Torbangun might be suitable for lactating women in general.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15294652&query_hl=4&itool=pubmed_docsum

wsdm
(Login wsdm)
Re: Galactogogue more effective than fenugreek?
July 26 2006, 8:56 PM

liked this topic I started...hehe

bump

also wanted to add to those who are trying different galactogogues besides fenugreek, I think it is important to know if the new galactogogue you are choossing actually stimulates prolactin. Sometimes galactogogues work to produce milk in breasts via another pathway.

SugarQ
(Login SugarQ)
July 28 2006, 6:13 AM

wow i got that stuff growing in my gargen. hmmmmm.... i think its time to make a tincture.

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
SugarQ?
July 28 2006, 2:14 PM

Ok, I have some Greek Oregano growing in my garden right now!!!! Can you simply eat a bit of it everyday instead of making a tincture? Is a tincture better than the fresh herb? If so, why? I could actually grow it year round inside. If the fresh herb is better than the tincture, I'm going to start nibbling at it.

Growing boobie blessings to all!!!!

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
SugarQ
July 28 2006, 2:24 PM

Actually, I have Greek Oregano AND Fennel already in my garden!!!!!!! I also have Fenugreek seeds that I was going to plant, but never did. I bought the Fennel thinking I would include it in some dinners, but I haven't. I'm such a scaredy-cat about things like these. I need to buy a good herb book that tells how and what part of the herb to eat!!!!!!!!!!! Each herb is different, and I don't know what part should be eaten and how to prepare it.

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
July 28 2006, 6:39 PM

Ok, now I know this must be all in my head, but I went out and cut some Greek Oregano and Fennel (seed head looking thing) and washed them and ate them this morning (nothing on them, not cooked, not in anything, simply put them in my mouth and swallowed). Now, a few hours later, I've noticed tingles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I realize this is probably all in my head, but if I'm getting tingles - I'm going to keep on doing it!!!!!!!! Am I crazy, or could this be working?

Growing boobie blessing to all the lovely boobie goddesses!

SugarQ
(Login SugarQ)
July 29 2006, 1:57 AM

my family calls this stuff french tyme and we are from the caribbean (trinidad & tobago) we cook with it religiously. http://www.stuartxchange.org/Oregano.html this is the picture of the stuff i got growing. Coleus amboinicus Lour.

wsdm
(Login wsdm)
July 29 2006, 11:39 AM

yay to you surf! Let us know how that goes!!!

SugarQ let us know how effective your tincture is, I am so excited for you beginning your routine soon! I still am trying to flesh out a routine.

I live in New York so I might have to order this stuff from a nursery online and keep a bush growing at my place or something.

They do have the oil of oregano not sure how effective it would be though.

ash
(no login)
July 29 2006, 9:47 PM

Hi this made me smile. I have fennel growing in my garden and while walking past it the other day I sort of wondered so like you surf i ate some of it. didnt feel anything though. Isnt gripe water made with fennel seeds? i can remember having a swig of that when my sister was a baby.... didnt have any lasting effects lol

Molly
(Login MollyH)
EVE MEMBERS
July 30 2006, 7:32 AM

If anyone wants to use fennel for food there is some information about how it's eaten here:

http://www.vortexhealth.net/fennel.html

Remember it's the seeds that are used medicinally, so to get beneficial effects that's the part you need to be consuming.

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
July 30 2006, 7:47 PM

SugarQ and Molly,
Thanks for the links! SugarQ - that picture looks EXACTLY like what I have growing in my garden!!! Molly - what a cool website. I bookmarked it so that I can use it as a reference!

I was away Sat, so I didn't get to munch on any fennel or greek oregano. I didn't have any tingles on Sat. I'm going to go pick some right now and munch on it. I'll let you know if I get more tingles! Wish me luck!

Growing boobie blessing to all!

jellyboobs
(Login jellyboobs)
EVE MEMBERS
munch away !!!!
July 31 2006, 1:37 AM

Good luck Surf love jelly....

Tap
(Login Tap69)
EVE MEMBERS
Munching away
July 31 2006, 5:34 AM

nice thread girls! speaking of munching, we live on a farm and i was walking the paddock (feild) the other day to see red clover growing in the grass.... you can guess the rest... munch munch munch... i felt like a desperate cow...
MOOOOOO!!!! The things we do for boobs!!
Tap

jellyboobs
(Login jellyboobs)
EVE MEMBERS
Tap
July 31 2006, 9:06 AM

Gee Tap your intestines must love that fibre, lets know if you get more tingles or have a moooooooving experience love jelly......

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
August 2 2006, 10:12 PM

Jelly & Tap,
You two are too funny! So, Tap, have you had any pains or tingles from your meadow munching?

Growing boobie blessings to all the lovely bobbie goddesses!

Herbs for NBE also for inducing lactation!
February 20 2008 at 9:14 PM Anna (no login)
I was just wondering if those of you taking herbal supplements for breast enlargement realize how closely the breast enlargement result is related to putting your breasts into a pre-lactation stage? This is why without a doubt the herbs do work! They are galactogogues, which essentially are going to make your breasts "grow" as they would in preparation to support lactation. Their effects make certain hormonal things happen within you that would normally be responsible for assisting in lactation. Of course, for regular or full-on lactation more factors are involved! Even massaging stimulates the interior lobes of the breast that are involved in lactation. It really is all very closely related. I wish to remain anonymous but I am currently working on inducing lactation to be able to breast feed an adopted baby, so although I've been here previously for NBE, while I've researched inducing lactation I've learned that the same main herbs are suggested for inducing lactation and for increasing milk supply as are suggested for NBE.

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
Re: Herbs for NBE also for inducing lactation!
February 20 2008, 10:01 PM

Yup I knew about this... not sure how many new people to NBE know it though. Good luck with breast feeding and your new baby! Smile

Frostedmint06
(Login frostedmint06)
February 20 2008, 10:45 PM

This is a good website about breast feeding and parenting. It also has an extensive list of all known galactagogues.

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/index.html

This message has been edited by frostedmint06 on Feb 20, 2008 11:42 PM

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
February 21 2008, 10:42 AM

Galactogogues are often a part of a herbal routine, and seem to do the trick quite well (WU is a 'galactogogic' product), but estrogenic herbs are also necessary and many people recquire androgen blockers as well. There are some NBE methods that are based on inducing lactation, such as GY.

Black Sheep
(Login dprincess)
February 24 2008, 6:48 AM

wait, so if the breasts grow because it is in pre-lactation stage, aren't you supposed to have that milk out of your breasts? I mean I thought that's how it works with mothers, that's why they "have" to breast feed their babies? I'm confused. Can someone please explain further?

hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
February 24 2008, 11:39 PM

No you aren't supposed to have milk come out though because they aren't actually getting to the point of lactating, just enough of the pre-stages to wake things up in there I suppose. Hope this helps dprincess Smile

White Sheep
(no login)
February 28 2008, 4:39 PM

During the 9 months you're pregnant your boobs grow about a cup size (sometimes more) in preparation for having the capability to lactate, of course then it takes the whole nursing act to actually get that happening, but the herbs we take for NBE do essentially is the same thing that happens over that pregnancy stage when the boobs are changing. Massages help as well because we're further stimulating the "lobes" in the breast. It's ironic that some here had such adverse reaction to the Grow Yours program because it's itinerary is to put your boobs into the state that pregnancy ends up putting them into due to the hormonal changes, but our herbs and massages really do the same thing. We're about a few weeks of scheduled frequent nipple stimulation away from actually being able to produce breast milk! And that's fine, but that's why our boobs are growing gals!

Geri
(no login)
February 28 2008, 9:12 PM

It actually had occurred to me that herbs I've seen recommended for breast growth were ones I'd heard of as galactogogues, i.e. fenugreek, goat's rue, fennel, alfalfa, hops, blessed thistle, borage, red raspberry and chasteberry.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon