Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Bikini area inflammation

Off Topic-bikini area inflammation
April 11 2008 at 7:32 AM luckyboobs (Login luckyboobs)

Whether I wax or shave I still get inflammation and ingrown hairs in the bikini area. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
Re: Off Topic-bikini area inflammation
April 11 2008, 7:35 AM

I think regular exfoliation is supposed to fix this. Have you tried using an epilator? Personally I would recommend waxing, it's hard to get your hands in the right place and you have to pull the strip off folded back not straight up otherwise you bruise but with time it's supposed to reduce the overall hairiness and in the meantime it lasts for ages.

luckyboobs
(Login luckyboobs)
April 11 2008, 7:44 AM

I think exfoliation helps some. I haven't tried an epilator. I was thinking about getting one. Even with waxing the hair grows back rather quickly and is dark and thick. It seems like just when I get rid of the inflammation the hair starts coming back. I can't win.

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
April 11 2008, 1:11 PM

This has worked for me in the past. Benzoil Peroxide - you know the stuff used to treat acne. Right after a shower I would apply the benzoil stuff first, then use a new razor to shave, then apply the benzoil again. It worked well.

I tried waxing once.... ouch.

My newest method is to use swim shorts that provide coverage to the groinal area. I may never go back... My swimsuit line can become a veritable forest, my buttocks (maca enhanced) get to stay under wraps - it's heaven... lol.

waxingmoon

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
April 11 2008, 1:28 PM

The thing with epilating the intimate parts / bikini line is that if you epilate relatively long hairs as in those areas, the epilator meanwhile extracting some hairs pulls on the other hairs a lot and this pulling is prone to cause ingrown hairs and pimples. I generally still epilate, but I cut the hairs to a short lenght with nail scissors first. For some reason if you shave the hairs, it hurts more when you epilate but if you cut them it doesn't. That's why I only epilate on rare occasions, when it's really necessary. And since I started epilating, I actually started getting an occasional individual ingrown hair or occluded sweat gland resulting in a pimple not always after epilating but randomly when I don't do anything at all as well. Still it's not so often so I still prefer to epilate then sheve.

madboobie
(no login)
April 11 2008, 6:29 PM

There is a fab product i use called PFB Vanish. It comes as a roll on and lasts ages. You apply it morning and night and it is excellent at bringing down redness and inflammation very quickly. Before I found it I was always getting in grown hairs, picking at them, trying to get them out etc etc and making a huge mess. Now I still get the odd one but the PFB eventually encourages it out and I haven't had any horendous hair spots at all. I also scrub in the shower each morning but I think the PFB is what has really improved things. My b*** is now civilised!!

madboobie
(no login)
April 11 2008, 6:30 PM

Oh, forgot to say that I am an epilator devotee... love it.

jackie
(Login classyfashh)
April 11 2008, 11:17 PM

I love the AFTER effects of epilating. And I know what you mean luckyboobs, after the pimples or ingrown hairs are gone; which is like 4 days after, it starts growing back too... no matter what I do. And epilating hurts SO bad anyway. Ugh it takes like 10 minutes to get used too, ESPECIALLY when you are epilating your crotch area. I am thinking about going to my nearest beauty store and purchasing those "at home" wax machine things... or whatever you call them. It heats up wax, you plug it in the wall and it comes with like, popsicle sticks and strips of paper or something. Haha, does anyone know what I am talking about? I just don't know how much they are and expect them to be expensive.

This message has been edited by classyfashh on Apr 11, 2008 11:20 PM

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
April 12 2008, 4:38 AM

Goodness, you ladies are all way more brave than me I'll never ever be able to wax. I shave EVERYTHING and I think over time your skin gets used to it because I remember getting alot of ingrown hairs and stuff like that in the "groin" area but eventually after doing it alot I never really get that anymore.

I think it also helps to use a fresh blade everytime perhaps? don't know but try the different methods, and i know there is definitely creams and powders that you can buy for your bikini line that are for after you shave to prevent it but i never tried any. i could try look some good ones up for you though if you want luckyboobs.

luckyboobs
(Login luckyboobs)
April 12 2008, 7:34 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I found a gel at the store today that I'm going to try for a bit. If that doesn't work well I may try the PFB Vanish. I'm also thinking about getting an epilator. I'm so happy I found this forum.

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
April 12 2008, 9:23 AM

My mum had to switch to disposable razors to shave her armpits because they're senstive, I think she found that much better.

Jackie - you can buy wax in a tub that you heat in the microwave so you don't need the machine. Make sure it's not too hot though! I can imagine you being over-enthusiastic and having trouble sitting down for a few days!

Waxing definitely hurts less than epilation (although epilation you build up tolerance to) - I have used both on my face when things got bad and I wouldn't advise others to try this as I got my mouth caugth in the epilator once! Ouch! The best method I've found for arms, legs, bikini etc is to wax first to get the worst off then epilate what's left. As soon as the hairs start to come through epilate again - it will hurt less as there's less to remove. The epilator can get hairs that are only 1-2mm unlike waxing which needs about 5mm. Can't wait for the day when everything more important is paid for and I can get full body electrolysis!

madboobie
(no login)
April 12 2008, 12:14 PM

Get the PFB Vanish!! It's fab, fab, fab and beleive me, I've tried the lot. Honest.

chocogirl
(Login chocogirl)
April 12 2008, 12:16 PM

www.princereigns.com

check this product!top model gisele swears by it!

tavia
(Login tavia.)
April 12 2008, 1:27 PM

hiya,

try using shaving OIL , let the bath or shower water open up the pores first then rub in the shaving oil and shave... and if its red after jus rub in some vasaline.. x

the shaving oil and vasaline keeps yr bikini area lubricated and moisterised.. dry and irritated skin down there is what incorages ingrown hairs and bumps.
xx

and on the days that yr not shaveing.. use a cream with gylcolic or salicylic acid in. but dont use the cream after you have just shaved cause you will burn yr flower off lol

xx

i use my husbands shaving oil... naughty i know!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon