Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Herbs to raise body temp. besides Kelp and L-Tyrosine?

Herbs to raise body temp. besides Kelp and L-Tyrosine??
February 5 2007 at 3:49 PM littlemadison (Login littlemadison)

I just found out another possible contributer to my Crohn's spasm could very well be Kelp, so I will not be taking it for right now to see if there are any noticeable changes. Just wondering if there are any other herbs I could take to raise my body temperature (it usually sits between 96.7 - 97.6). Will L-tyrosine work alone?
Has anyone made progress without raising their body temperature?

x madison

Alcest
(Login Alcest)
Re: Herbs to raise body temp. besides Kelp and L-Tyrosine??
February 5 2007, 4:47 PM

Cayenne pepper if you can stomach it. =)

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
February 5 2007, 5:05 PM

OK great, I'm taking one at night already with a ginko in the afternoon, maybe ill substitute the ginko for another cayenne. Thanks!

x madison

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
low temp
February 5 2007, 5:13 PM

A low temperature is indicative of a thyroid imbalance...hypothyroid. Perhaps if you are taking kelp you already knew that. I take a raw thyroid from the vitamin store because I don't want to take a synthetic. It has raised my before 96.0 temp to 98.6

gingerD
(Login gingerD)
February 5 2007, 5:35 PM

Alect-I made the cayanne,lemon and honey drink, it burns like hell and unfortunatly tastes yuk,I can however take a big gulp of orange juice and half a tea spoon, of pure cayanne and it doesnt burn or taste yuk for some reason

hope this helps

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
February 5 2007, 5:53 PM

MyJourney,
Is what you are taking in capsule form? What is the name of it and can I find it online?

Ginger,
I have tried the lemonade/cayenne drinks before. I can't do it. Too gross.

x madison

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
thyroid
February 5 2007, 6:06 PM

There are several brands that carry it.

here is one link:
http://www.enzy.com/products/display.asp?id=415&cpmid=447

"Natural Sources"

also makes it which i get at Vitamin Cottage. These are not vegetarian by the way.

Many people who suspect a thyroid imbalance but have not had it confirmed try first to boost the thyroid with herbs before they resort to using the Raw thyroid.

hope that helps. It is good to get advice from a professional with stuff like the thyroid. A good Natural Health Practitioner should be able to help..

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
February 5 2007, 6:25 PM

Is it safe to take with all the herbs (fenugreek, wild yam, stinging nettle, red clover, hops, omega oils, cayenne) ? Thanks for all the information!

x madison

lassysam
(Login lassysam)
February 5 2007, 6:44 PM

Thanks myjourney for the valuable information. I didn't even know raw thyroid existed. What is the bottle titled that you get from vitamin cottage, the natural sources kind?
The nearest vitamin cottage to me is a 2 hour drive, but if I knew specifically what is on the bottle, I could ask a friend to look for it, for me. I seem to be cold and have trouble losing weight, no matter what I try, L-Tyrosine, kelp, cayenne, etc.

Anonymous
(Login Myjourney)
Natural Sources
February 5 2007, 7:38 PM

It is called "Rawy thyroid"
here is a link...

www.vitamincottage.com/shop/product_view.asp?id=11212&StoreID=47821D90B2AA4A7C91E85DD915331B09&private_product=0

if that link doesn't work just search raw thyroid. You can order from them online too, if it is such a long drive.

To check for low thyroid yourself, you take your basal temp. which is under your arm (armpit) in the morning before you get up to go to the bathroom (before you get out of bed and move around) And remember to keep it under there for 10 minutes (I think unless you have a digital)
For women the best time to take it is the 2cnd and 3rd days of your period, because the temp is the lowest at that time. If your temp is between 97.8 and 98.2 (under the arm) that is considered normal.
If it is lower than that, you may have low thyroid.
When I take thyroid, I find that sometimes the full pill was to much, so I would cut the pills in half. If they are capsules, you would have to figure out a different way.

lassysam
(Login lassysam)
February 5 2007, 9:14 PM

Thank you so much! I have emptied out half a capsule before. My temp is never 98 degrees. The digital one that goes in your ear usually reads 95 - 96 degrees for me. This is when I am up and moving around the house though. I may be warmer when I am still in bed. I am so sick and tired of feeling tired and cold. I am sick of winter too. I keep my house warmer than most people also, so it's not like our house is cold.
I am going to check out that link for vitamin cottage.
Thank you bunches! =]

Sissy2345
(Login sissy2345)
February 5 2007, 9:55 PM

Also, you can look into DIM. I just added it about a week ago, and if you recall I had some temperature issues, they were starting out at 98.6 in the morning and 97.0 at night, very strange. I dropped L-T at this point because it didn't appear to be helping, but I started taking it again with the DIM. My bottle says it helps thyroid function and BB recommends it for temperature. I also add cayenne to food when I can. This last week my temp has been high 98's, even 99, and I think it's the DIM, it's the only change I have made in the last week besides goji berries, and I don't think that would effect my temp.

When I eat cayenne, after making sure the mouth cools down and I drink some water to flush it, my temp will go up 5 or more degrees for a while. I know that stuff works if you can take it.

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
lassy
February 5 2007, 10:32 PM

You might actually find your basal temp is lower than your normal walking around temp. Which means you probably are quite low, like I was. Which basically confirms your suspicions...right???
Oh...one more thing. If you drink alcohol the night before you take your temp you will not get a good reading, because our bodies run hotter when we are burning off alcohol.

lassysam
(Login lassysam)
February 5 2007, 11:25 PM

I have some cayenne and I have taken some today and other times too, and so far it does not seem to be helping, but what is DIM? I wonder if that is something I could find at Swanson Vitamins - sometimes I order from them. I really would have thought the cayenne would help more, but so far it only burns on the way out! =S
Gee you guys are all nice and toasty. I am envious. Just something else that makes me feel older. Low metabolism, and cold all the time. ={

Sissy2345
(Login sissy2345)
February 5 2007, 11:43 PM

Diindolylmethane. I can see why it has a nickname! I take 100 mg 2x day. I think Michelle took it too for a while also. I went to every store in town, and finally found it at vitamin world, but you can get it online just about anywhere. Swansons does have it, but it's cheaper at iherb. I paid $7.50 for 60.

My bottle says Bioavailable DIM, what ever that means. The bottle also says it promotes women's metabolism and cellular health. If you try it let me know, it's not a common thing on here to take and I'd be curious if that along with L-T helps you. I dropped Kelp myself, but only because mine were 600mg and I was told that was too much to take and I didn't feel like buying more.

Sissy2345
(Login sissy2345)
February 5 2007, 11:56 PM

I checked out several places for DIM because i was curious, and one of them said to consult with doctor if you are taking BCP. Just an FYI.

lassysam
(Login lassysam)
February 6 2007, 12:41 AM

Thanks! I think I'll stick to calling it DIM also. =] If BCP means birth control pills, I'm safe there, had a tubal! At least I don't have to worry about that anymore! I guess there are some perks to being older =]
Yes, I will let you know, but since I have to order it, I will have to also wait for it to arrive. At least Swansons is pretty quick, I won't have to wait for the wise old man and his wise donkey to travel through the wilderness. Or I might try vitacost and get some other stuff too, if they have it. I'm actually excited, I may get some help with this darn body of mine.
Oh yeah, I was gonna ask you Sissy, if you have seen the new commercial advertising something called "Slimage" ? It has this woman sitting next to a younger woman who is suppose to be herself at a younger age and the idea is that "Slimage" will perk up your metabolism to what it use to be in your 20's. I watched it with my hubby today and told him he needed to get me some of that, but probably this DIM stuff will be cheaper to try.

Sissy
(Login sissy2345)
February 6 2007, 12:53 AM

Nope, haven't seen it. I hardly watch TV anymore these days, but I keep hearing about all these good commercials that I need to start watching more! I'll keep my eye out for that one...oh to have my 20yr old metabolism back, I was a size 3-5 and could eat anything. If I told you what I ate, you would gain 5 lbs just listening to it. Honestly, I eat 1/6th of what I ate then, and I gain weight anyway. Good luck with the DIM, I'm hoping it helps me long term also, not just with NBE.

lassysam
(Login lassysam)
February 6 2007, 1:24 AM

lol =D You should watch TV for more than just the commercials! I have a special addiction to the reality shows, Survivor and Wife swap, but I also enjoy Desperate Housewives. You're missing out on some good entertainment.
Going to order some DIM now, see if it'll "brighten" up my life. Ok, I know that was a bad pun. Since I've been taking Pueriria Mirifica everything just seems funny to me, maybe it's the hormones.

Sissy
(Login sissy2345)
February 6 2007, 1:59 AM

Oh I love desperate housewives, seen both seasons on DVD's, also 24, lost, the shield, prison break, just hate to watch network tv BECAUSE of all the commercials. I guess I'm missing the good stuff. I also like stupid stuff like celebrity fit club, E, and MTV, but lately just haven't watched it much.

lassysam
(Login lassysam)
February 6 2007, 2:02 AM

Ok, got it ordered. I decided to try out the Iherb site. Never been there before. I found 60 caps for 10.77 The stuff you probably got is now out of stock, because there weren't any DIM products for $7 - but that's ok. They were still cheaper and shipping was cheaper too. Thanks for the tip! I'll give you an update after I've tried it. It sounds very interesting.

Sissy
(Login sissy2345)
February 6 2007, 2:04 AM

Sorry littlemadison, didn't mean to take over your post, guess your question wasn't what I liked to watch on tv Smile

I actually did alot of reading about DIM tonight because I never really did before, but this got me wondering what I was taking. It might be something that would help you, but check on the BCP if that pertains to you. It does not say not to take it, just says to consult with your doctor if you are. Everything I read mentioned healthy thyroid function and it appears to be all natural.

lassysam
(Login lassysam)
February 6 2007, 2:09 AM

Yeah, we watch Lost too, but towards the end of last season I was getting irritated with the plot. Seemed like they were drawing it out too much, but I'm sure it will get better. =)
Yeah, I would love to give you some HEALTHY advice and tell you that you should really do a lot more TV watching! =D It helps you get through the winter!

lassysam
(Login lassysam)
February 6 2007, 2:12 AM

Yes, sorry little maddison, did not mean to be rude dear. Wink

madison
(Login littlemadison)
Smile
February 6 2007, 2:39 AM

Thanks guys. I'm going to check out this DIM stuff if my cayenne increase won't work. Thanks for all the helpful replies!

x madison

Sissy
(no login)
Need to correct myself......
February 12 2007, 1:17 AM

I just realized that I misspoke regarding DIM, my bottle says that it optimizes metabolism, not thyroid. Very sorry, I do need to be more careful what I say.

I do believe it has helped me though, my temp has been pretty consistant in the 98's since I started taking it, and before that it was way too low.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon