Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Liquid extracts

liquid herbs!
March 16 2008 at 6:03 AM Melissa (Login ditavt)

Hi everyone!!
I, too am looking to enlarge my non-existing boobies and am planning on doing single herbs, instead of herbal formulas.

As i was searching the Vitamin Shoppe website, i came across liquid forms of certain herbs, and have decided to purchase the liquid form instead of the dried pills.

I did some research on the advantage of liquids and found that liquid forms of the herbs are much more potent and yield faster results.
1. dried herbs lose a significant percent of their potency because they are diluted.
2. liquids are faster absorbed through the bloodstream, which mean faster results
[i currently do not have the url to the website where i got all this info, but once i find it, ill post, so sorry about that!]

Anyway, basically, i know that some have had success on dried pills alone, i wonder if anyone is actually taking the liquid form of these herbs, and if it in fact does yield better results.

The brand of my liquid herbs is "Nature's Way", which reminds me specifically of "Natureday" [which is one of the only liquid commerical products that i know of...and i also know many have had success on]

So yea, my point, maybe we should all give the liquids a try instead of the pills...just maybe it might yield better results for all of us!

I will begin taking saw palmetto, wild yam, fennel seed, fenugreek, and dong quai root this week, and will update all of you if i see some progress.

Good luck to all you boobie-growers!! =]]

Durga
(Login durga)
Re: liquid herbs!
March 16 2008, 7:17 AM

Melissa,

Hello there. It sounds like what you are talking about are liquid herbal extracts, sometimes also called tinctures. Nature's Way is a popular supplement supplier in the U.S. They have no connection to Natureday (the names do rhyme, though!)

I have had similar questions as you regarding liquid herbal extracts versus dried herbs. I too share your thought that liquid extracts sound like an optimal choice, as they do enter the bloodstream more directly (our bodies don't have to do all the hard work digesting fibers, etc.).

I have made a couple posts about this subject, but there wasn't much response regarding the potency or use of these. Granted, posts can get buried fast sometimes, but it seems like most here are using dried herbs in their various forms. I've come to a few conclusions(but would love to be corrected if anyone feels otherwise!) regarding why it seems that most on the forum are using dried herbs:

1) People have noticed results with them and don't feel the need to seek out other options. Also to consider: some people take pills, as you spoke of, which tend to be the DRIED herbal extracts, which are more concentrated than powdered herbs (loose or in capsules). These are probably more potent than just the powdered forms.

2) Liquid herbal extracts seem like a "newer" trend, especially in the U.S. -they don't seem as popular in other branches of herbalism (European, etc.)

3) There are also conflicting opinions on whether dried herbs are more beneficial, as they tend to use the whole plant, and thus none of the therapeutic elements are disregarded. Liquid herbal extracts usually use only isolated parts of a plant (i.e. root, leaf, etc.)

I am considering the use of herbs (namely, liquid herbal extracts) in the near future. Maybe we'll just have to be pioneers in this regard and see how it goes.

Keep us posted!

Durga

This message has been edited by durga on Mar 16, 2008 7:30 AM

Durga
(Login durga)
March 16 2008, 7:58 AM

One more thing...

You stated: "dried herbs lose a significant percent of their potency because they are diluted." I'm not sure what you meant by "diluted". It is true that SOME powdered herb blends also contain fillers and stabilizers-it is best to check the labels.

However, another factor to consider is how dried herbs are prepared. Other processing factors that compromise the delicate potency of herbs are: exposure to sunlight and air, methods of cutting and sifting and storage/distribution time.

Unfortunately, herbal products (at least here in the U.S.) are barely regulated, if at all. We never really know what we're getting unless we grow them ourselves (sounds nice, no?)...That said, I continue to look at this forum and see that there are responses to herbs bought at the supermarket, so...

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
March 16 2008, 6:37 PM

I'm not sure that drying herbs does them any good! Even in recipes you would use a different quantity or fresh vs dry herbs but it's easier to copy someone elses program using dry herbs because that's what most people have used so we have more info on the correct dosage.

Durga
(Login durga)
March 17 2008, 4:55 AM

Louise,

Good point about dried herbs being easier to copy. That is probably the main reason they're so popular. It would be interesting to see if anyone has switched from powdered dried herbs- with no results-to liquid extracts and see if they notice any difference. Ah, but there are so many individual variables...

Durga

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
March 17 2008, 5:52 AM

Durga - I would say mainly the dosage problem again. When I used separate herbs I calculated that WU is short of what Eve took by certain amounts then tried to add those to my porridge using 1tsp = 5000mg but I've found out since that that's not the case so my measurements were wrong! I think that means I was taking too little but I still felt it gave me more feelings than either 6x or 7x WU alone so I will probably take exactly those amounts again and be less lazy about sticking to it.

liquid extract
April 8 2008 at 10:57 PM amy (Login firish69)

How many mg or the equivelent is 1/2 a dropper of green bush herbs I got fg,sp,rc and wy

is wild yam pointless to take with this mix?

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
Re: liquid extract
April 8 2008, 11:29 PM

There were a lot of posts about this a while ago and basically we never came up with a good answer - the manufacturer / supplier of the liquid is probably the person to ask as they know how strong it is. Wild yam is probably pointless for everything! Put wild yam into google - there are sites selling it but no one independent says it will give you progesterone just by eating it / applying it to the skin and there's loads of research to say it doesn't work. If you think you're lacking progesterone see a doctor and if they agree maybe try USP progesterone cream which may be derived from wild yam (but the human body can't do the actual derivation if you just take the yam).

may
(Login Cselestyna)
April 9 2008, 3:30 AM

well i don't know how much its equal to, but i have the blend kit with both capsules and liquid, i just use 1/3 to 1/2 a dropper with juice 3x'x /day.

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
April 9 2008, 5:47 AM

Sorry but I don't anything about liquid extracts however Louise is right, wild yam is pointless!

Durga
(Login durga)
April 9 2008, 7:02 AM

Amy,

In my search for answers to the same question, I've learned that herbal medicines are never exactly the same twice (differences in solubility, etc.). However, exact amounts seem to not be required for therapeutic efficacy. This is regarding therapeutic use, however--a little different than what we all are doing here ; ) We all want to know the mgs so we can ramp up, right? So, with liquid extract, I feel it would be best to definately start off with the lower amounts suggested on the bottle (ex: 1/2 dropperful, 3x per day) and ramp up by these amounts (ex: move on to 3/4 dropperful, 3x per day and so on)...

Look on the bottle to find out the strength ratio of your extract (1:1, 1:2, etc.).

Below is a reference from two sources who even attempted to answer this conundrum. This is at best a rough estimate of what we're getting in a liquid extract:

1:1 = 1000 mg of herb per ml
1:2 = 500 mg of herb per ml
1:3 = 333 mg of herb per ml
1:4 = 250 mg of herb per ml
1:5 = 200 mg of herb per ml
1:10 = 100 mg of herb per ml
1:20 = 50 mg of herb per ml

Louise's suggestion to contact the manufacturer is another good option. I've done this as well, and some companies cannot even answer this question!

Good luck,
Durga

amy
(Login firish69)
thanx durga
April 9 2008, 5:20 PM

I have 1:1 strength so i am gonna drop the vitex and take 1ml twice a day of fenugreek and saw palmettto for a total of 2000 mg of each and see what that does.

I also have red clover and am wondering if i should take the same dose of this.

Thanks everyone 4 ur help

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
April 9 2008, 5:37 PM

Be careful with red clover it is a very potent estrogenic herb and should not be taken if not needed.

Durga
(Login durga)
April 9 2008, 7:26 PM

Amy,

Your beginning dosages sound like they're on the higher side... maybe some other ladies can confirm this. Also, I feel that liquid extracts are more potent than dried powdered herbs, as they enter our bloodstream more directly.

Remember that we should start with lower dosages, If we don't notice any response, then increase gradually from there. We want gain results from the lowest dosages possible.

Take Care,
Durga

amy
(Login firish69)
thanks girls
April 9 2008, 10:17 PM

so maybe i will do 1500 of each and think about adding in fennel later.
I am 105 pounds 5' 3 so maybe the dose is high to start, funny though cuz i have no sensations yet.

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
April 9 2008, 11:56 PM

Well if you start off on super high doses its possible you could have stalled yourself right from the beginning.

Corrie
(Login Corrie73)
December 31 2008, 4:48 AM

Hi girls - for a long time I've wanted to better understand the strengths of tinctures and extracts and their equivalent in dried herbs.

Ml of extract vs dried herbs is confusing for me. Some of you tricky girls already know this stuff, but I still don't get it. So, if we take 40 drops of extract, which is about what is usually recommended, then what is that equivalent to in dried herb? I suspect that extract actually works better, since many herbalists and naturopaths use only extracts, but I never know how much to take.

Tap
(Login Tap69)
EVE MEMBERS
December 31 2008, 8:50 AM

hi corrie
Drops are not a good unit of measurement. Try putting your 40 drops into a medicience measuring cup to see how many ml it is. If the extract is a good strength (1:1), then how many ml are in your cup is the equivalent in grams of dried herbs.

EG if your 40 drops = 1ml in the measuring cup (and your extact is good quality) then you are taking 1gram of dried herbs.

Ask your herbalist what the extract strength is.
Anyway keep up the good boobie work
Tap

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon