Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Drinking soda

Drinking soda
February 11 2007 at 3:13 AM Sarah (Login Sarah_8500)

hello,

I've heard that drinking soda can slow down growth. Just wondering if anyone knows why.. I've been having trouble cutting soda out of my diet.

I'm also wondering if anyone has had decreased libido since starting nbe?

Sarah

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
libido
February 11 2007, 3:32 AM

Yes,
My libido has been dramatically decreased. Part of it is tiredness...I like to take my herbs starting after noon, and then I am not so tired during the day. We are adjusting hormones...so that most likely will have an effect on some women's libido. I started taking maca a few days ago and that has really helped me.

madison
(Login littlemadison)
Re: Drinking soda
February 11 2007, 3:40 AM

I think it is probably because of the caffeine and high sugar. If you can, I'd try at least caffeine free. If you like coke and don't mind diet, maybe try Coke zero. It's caffeine and sugar free. If you like grape or orange soda, try carbonated flavored water. Add a new (and NBE "safe") drink. After slowly cutting out soda, get yourself hooked on a new healthy drink. I just started drinking tea, even though I never cared for it. The more of it you drink, the more you like it. Plus, drinking tea you just feel healthier because there are so many healthy benifits it gives you. Maybe start with peppermint tea, green tea or fennel tea. Or just try drinking more water. I also carry around a 32oz. bottle of water with me at all times.

Little movtivation tip: cutting soda out of your diet makes you lose at least 5 pounds.

x madison

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
carbonation
February 11 2007, 3:45 AM

Well...carbonation is a negative because it leaches minerals, especially calcium from the bones. I do not know how this relates to NBE...
But also, if you drink sugar free colas you have the negatives of the aspartame or saccarhin....
I like Perrier. It cures my need for a fizzy...and it has naturally occuring carbonation which doesn't do the mineral leach thing...or least it doesn't as much..

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
carbonation revisited
February 11 2007, 3:48 AM

I just read this:

"Q | Are carbonated beverages good for bodybuilders?

A | Carbonated beverages are often viewed as digestive aids because the gas from the carbonation causes distension of the stomach and intestines. This distension is sensed by the gastrointestinal (GI) system and causes an increase in motility--meaning the food that's in the stomach passes through the GI tract at a faster rate. This may be good for decreasing indigestion but bad for enhancing digestion and absorption of nutrients--particularly amino acids from protein.

Carbonation may interfere with absorption because the higher acidity of such beverages inhibits normal secretion of stomach enzymes, such as proteases, which break down protein into amino acids. Carbonated beverages also may somehow force much of the food consumed to sit in the higher part of the stomach, where the enzymes are not found, preventing the normal breakdown of protein.

If food moves more rapidly through the stomach, there is less time for enzymes to do their work. Also, if fewer enzymes are doing their work, some of the protein you've eaten may not get properly digested.

Another problem with drinking a carbonated beverage during a meal is that you may feel less satiated afterward. This was discovered in a study of patients with indigestion and constipation. Carbonated water taken with meals reduced the study subjects' indigestion and constipation, but they were less satiated than when they drank plain water with food."

It would be a definate negative to decrease absorbtion of your NBE herbs. So...I would do the caffeine rule...which is take your supplements well before or after you draink a soda.

madison
(Login littlemadison)
February 11 2007, 4:06 AM

Wow! I didn't know that. Good information. Sorry for the not-so-great info. and thanks for the correction as well. And Sarah, good luck on your attempts to cut out soda from your diet.

x madison

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
little madison
February 11 2007, 5:24 AM

Hi,

I wasn't meaning to correct you, or anyone??!! Just passing on a bit of my meagre knowledge from scanning so many things....
plz forgive if I offended you. I don't think I did, but better safe than sorry! :-)

Sarah
(no login)
February 11 2007, 7:03 AM

Thanks for all the information. It was really appreciated

Sarah

madison
(Login littlemadison)
February 11 2007, 8:03 AM

No, I know you weren't doing that to correct me, but I guess my information was "corrected", or at least you gave out a little extra which helped her out and helped her not do the wrong thing. Thanks for the information though, and I was in no way offended. Smile

x madison

Lisa
(Login lilmama40)
February 12 2007, 5:19 PM

Yes, caffeine and carbonation interfere with the absorption of the herbs. I drink several cups of coffee each morning and a soda or two throughout the day, so I switched to decaf coffee and cut down on most of the soda, I'll only have soda occasionally now. If you must have soda, at least don't have it an hour before or an hour after you take the herbs to lower your chances of the interference. Some will even say up to 2 hours before and after, but it's your call. It was a tough sacrifice for some of us who've gone the herbal route! Well worth it for the boobs we get though. :-)

carbonated drinks
October 19 2005 at 7:15 AM Hazina (no login)

I have seen come comments here about smoking, caffeine, alcohol, but what about carbonated drinks? Is it true that they have a negative impact?

Anonymous
(no login)
Re: carbonated drinks
October 19 2005, 7:26 AM

well my mom drank a lot of caffine in the past and she has big boobs but I think she has a lot of scare tissue or something. I personally didn't drink a lot of sodas or have caffine and I have B cups, which I think are small

Jen
(no login)
RE
October 19 2005, 5:04 PM

Caffeine is a natural diuretic and tends to wash water-soluble vitamins like B's out of the body before they can be much use and is also likely to hinder the absorption of beneficial nutrients in other ways. It is possible that it could affect phyto-hormones the same way.

Note: I copied this from an old post from Prettysoulful.... All in all its best to avoid caffeine or alcohol

Mary
(no login)
Re: Carbonated drinks
October 21 2005, 7:38 PM

I used to think that it was sugary drinks which were not good for you, but now it seems that fizzy drinks are not recommended whether sugary or not because carbonated beverages can interfere with herb absorption.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon