Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Johnson & Johnson Loses Third Risperdal Breast Growth Lawsuit

Jury found that the drug caused breast growth in males and that the company failed to warn patients and doctors about it.

https://www.drugwatch.com/2015/12/15/jj-...h-lawsuit/

juries could find Risperdal caused gynecomastia in more than 1,600 lawsuits still pending in the Philadelphia court system

Interesting...
The woman is now on Risperdal - and she suggested I should probably try it, too.

Not too sure...
-Dianna

It's an anti-psychotic that operates by reducing dopamine which increases prolactin. Too little dopamine may lead to depression. Also precisely how it works is unknown, so it may have other effects on the mind as well besides lowering dopamine. Its main purpose is to alter the mind, which should send up red flags.

Be careful with it, and with prescription drugs in general. I know there's often a casual attitude as-in if herbs are ok, why not drugs too, especially since the dosage is much more controlled and studied? But about 20 people a year die from all supplements combined. Over 100,000 from prescription drugs, not to mention over the counter. Estimates varied all over the place from sources of varying credibility, and included different causes, so I couldn't get a precise trustworthy number. In the case of Risperdal it's supposed to alter the mind, that's not a side effect, which could be quite dangerous mentally in a person who doesn't need it. I would say at least pick another anti-dopamine used for more mild applications, but IIRC the one I'm thinking of was also banned or restricted due to excessive side effects. They're no joke.

(04-06-2016, 02:44 PM)surferjoe2007 Wrote:  It's an anti-psychotic that operates by reducing dopamine which increases prolactin. Too little dopamine may lead to depression. Also precisely how it works is unknown, so it may have other effects on the mind as well besides lowering dopamine. Its main purpose is to alter the mind, which should send up red flags.

Be careful with it, and with prescription drugs in general. I know there's often a casual attitude as-in if herbs are ok, why not drugs too, especially since the dosage is much more controlled and studied? But about 20 people a year die from all supplements combined. Over 100,000 from prescription drugs, not to mention over the counter. Estimates varied all over the place from sources of varying credibility, and included different causes, so I couldn't get a precise trustworthy number. In the case of Risperdal it's supposed to alter the mind, that's not a side effect, which could be quite dangerous mentally in a person who doesn't need it. I would say at least pick another anti-dopamine used for more mild applications, but IIRC the one I'm thinking of was also banned or restricted due to excessive side effects. They're no joke.

Very true, Joe.
I was being somewhat facetious. ;-)
I'd note, though, that she's now doing somewhat better at controlling herself. Also, her breasts are sore, and may be growing.

I need to spend a few hours on here and dig in on PCOS treatment - the daughter has a worse case, and it's manifesting in a hirsuteness as well as, she's acting like her mom was.... We're working on getting her into counseling.

Wish I could find a reset button. I'm drained any more, and apparently the old GF is just under the surface still, waiting to go off...

-Dianna

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon