Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

White Peony Reaction

Hey everyone,

I've been taking Swanson PM, Swanson Estro8pn, and Solaray Licorice Root for a few weeks and last week I added Solaray White Peony Root to my regimen and it's making me feel really weird. Almost like a reaction that an opiod would give. Very out of it, like in a daze, very mellow, and my pupils are extremely dialated. Was just wondering if anyone has had a similar reaction. I just ordered a few bottles of WP from Swanson cause it's on sale, so I'm curious if it will give me the same reaction as the Solaray. If anyone has had a similar experience, please chime in. Thanks!

I wouldn't stay on licorice root for long, a week or two tops, especially if your blood pressure is elevated........LR certainly sends BP into the stratosphere.

Getting the opioid like effect: considering what licorice root does and to 11B HSD.

Steroid hormone metabolites are barbiturate-like modulators of the GABA receptor
Two metabolites of the steroid hormones progesterone and deoxycorticosterone, 3 alpha-hydroxy-5 alpha-dihydroprogesterone and 3 alpha, 5 alpha-tetrahydrodeoxycorticosterone, are potent barbiturate-like ligands of the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) receptor-chloride ion channel complex. At concentrations between 10(-7) and 10(-5)M both steroids inhibited binding of the convulsant t-butylbicyclophosphorothionate to the GABA-receptor complex and increased the binding of the benzodiazepine flunitrazepam; they also stimulated chloride uptake (as measured by uptake of 36Cl-) into isolated brain vesicles, and potentiated the inhibitory actions of GABA in cultured rat hippocampal and spinal cord neurons. These data may explain the ability of certain steroid hormones to rapidly alter neuronal excitability and may provide a mechanism for the anesthetic and hypnotic actions of naturally occurring and synthetic anesthetic steroids.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2422758

The reductase activity of 11 beta-HSD1 was inhibited by 11 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone > carbenoxolone = glycyrrhetinic acid = progesterone > 11 beta-hydroxyprogesterone. The dehydrogenase activity of 11 beta-HSD2 was inhibited 11 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone = 11 beta-hydroxyprogesterone > glycyrrhetinic acid > carbenoxolone = progesterone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9029719

Thank you for the info Lotus. Can always count on you for educated and informative information. That makes sense. I was researching all four herbs that I'm taking and I saw that Licorice also messes with your seratonin levels. I just found it odd that it didn't have this effect until I added WP. I've been on it for about 3 weeks but am going to take your advice and lay off of it for a bit. It's ashame because it has so many benefits for breast growth, plus it was helping out with my digestive problems. I have very low blood pressure but I still don't want to risk it. How do you think I should cycle the Licorice? 2 weeks on/2 weeks off or more?

(19-07-2016, 06:41 AM)malenewbie Wrote:  Thank you for the info Lotus. Can always count on you for educated and informative information. That makes sense. I was researching all four herbs that I'm taking and I saw that Licorice also messes with your seratonin levels. I just found it odd that it didn't have this effect until I added WP. I've been on it for about 3 weeks but am going to take your advice and lay off of it for a bit. It's ashame because it has so many benefits for breast growth, plus it was helping out with my digestive problems. I have very low blood pressure but I still don't want to risk it. How do you think I should cycle the Licorice? 2 weeks on/2 weeks off or more?

You're welcome, Wink

The dgl or deglycyrrhizinated version is much safer, doesn't increase BP, so maybe that's an option in the future, it's still effective.

Try it with the LR for a week and see how you feel, grab a baseline BP before going off of LR, then compare a week later. I haven't tried the solray brands or Swansons you mentioned, I'd be curios how it turns out for you, are they standardized?.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon