Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Baaad Experience with Saw Palmetto

Hello,

I started my nbe journey with maca and fenugreek, i had alot of success initially but broke out bad so I decided Saw Palmetto would help. I added sp and wild yam. 

OMG was it a mistake, - not only did the acne barely subside....about 2 weeks in, my breasts have decreased, I have lost my sex drive, mood is horrible, im insecure, paranoid, weepy, needy, its a nightmare. I also had EXTREME stomach pain one day, and blood in my stool. 

Im done with SP and going back to my maca and fenugreek. How can I balance the acne on this program though?

Also is it normal for sex drive to plummet right after the period?

Saw palmetto can definitely give you cramps.

The blood in stool is a concern though. I'd stop all herbs and give your body a break. Keep an eye on the blood in stool. If it's fresh red it might be a hemmroid internal or out. Dark red blood is a concern. Comes from higher up in the GI tract so head to a dr if you see that

(27-09-2016, 04:55 AM)Bellacraig Wrote:  Saw palmetto can definitely give you cramps.

The blood in stool is a concern though. I'd stop all herbs and give your body a break. Keep an eye on the blood in stool. If it's fresh red it might be a hemmroid internal or out. Dark red blood is a concern. Comes from higher up in the GI tract so head to a dr if you see that

Yes Ive had some weird symptoms from SP, waking up in the night with cramps, sweats, the blood has gone i THINK it was a hemorrhoid not sure though. Its NOT for me. I am stoppin and will start again in a while but no sp for me!

Sorry to hear about your experience, hope youll gain back soon.The nightsweats you had could be bc sp is an anti-androgen but also an anti-estrogen. Therefore not the best herb for nbe imo.

just curious, what brand and how many mg were you taking?

Sounds like low testosterone.  Then in desperation your body makes the "bad" DHT testosterone.  Saw palmetto lowers DHT testosterone.  Then you have almost no testosterone left and you get all these effects.  Even without SP, even after you stop and even if you never took it, you're likely to continue to have problems that steadily worsen as your T drops.  Though not as quickly as when you took SP.  Low T production also means low estrogen production since your T converts into estrogen and DHT, which is of course bad for NBE.

It would be good to get your testosterone levels checked to confirm.  Sometimes the cause is as simple as a zinc deficiency, so it doesn't hurt to try 30 mg zinc.  Or much more than that short term until you fix it (but not long term).  If you get shortness of breath from a high zinc dose, don't worry it's harmless and will pass in under an hour.  Then next time spread out the doses.  Shellfish is even better, especially oysters.  They have a greater variety of useful minerals including zinc.  Eat lots and lots of whole grains and/or other seeds for other necessary vitamins and minerals.  A multivitamin doesn't hurt but whatever the label may claim it's horribly incomplete compared to food.  I only bring up zinc supplements because low zinc is so common, unlike other nutrients it may help even by itself, and because it's so easy to try even if it doesn't help.  Give it or anything at least 2 months before giving up btw.

Maca and fenugreek are actually helpful short term, both for low T and for hormones in general.  As could be prescribed T if tests confirm you need it.  But long term you'll need something nutritional.  And even if it's not low T and it's something else hormonal, all of the above nutritional items will still help.

It's more likely her (Chelo's) estrogen was reduced. I discovered that  "  Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate " (NAPD for short) inhibits COX-2 ( a prostaglandin ) that stimulates estrogen. NAPD/NAPH  destroys free radicals (that's a good thing) while reducing the cytochrome P450 (which up-regulates aromatase). In other words, Saw Palmettos inhibits estrogen.

The β-Sitosterol in saw palmetto has a known side effect to cause nausea, diarrhea, headache and ( bleeding was mentioned in 1 person (study below). 

Saw Palmetto
http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/saw-palmetto

Aromatase and COX-2 expression in human breast cancers.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11850206/P

For males, Saw Palmetto inhibits aromatase in the prostate. And while SP helps for BPH (plus a couple of others things)  I wouldn't recommend SP for NBE.

(01-10-2016, 08:48 PM)Lotus Wrote:  It's more likely her (Chelo's) estrogen was reduced. I discovered that  "  Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate " (NAPD for short) inhibits COX-2 ( a prostaglandin ) that stimulates estrogen. NAPD/NAPH  destroys free radicals (that's a good thing) while reducing the cytochrome P450 (which up-regulates aromatase). In other words, Saw Palmettos inhibits estrogen.

The β-Sitosterol in saw palmetto has a known side effect to cause nausea, diarrhea, headache and ( bleeding was mentioned in 1 person (study below). 

Saw Palmetto
http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/saw-palmetto

Aromatase and COX-2 expression in human breast cancers.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11850206/P

For males, Saw Palmetto inhibits aromatase in the prostate. And while SP helps for BPH (plus a couple of others things)  I wouldn't recommend SP for NBE.
Lotus, in place of SP, could you reccomend WP instead? Thinking of getting off of SP, tho I've not had any bad reactions to it. Just absorbing all that I've read here that WP sounds like it will work better  with BO.I don't want to inhibit estrogen production- just the opposite!

I actually gained weight on saw palmetto and had to discontinue using it. I also experienced strange abdominal bloating too. It really sucks because I had such high hopes for this stuff but my body doesn't like it.

(27-09-2016, 04:46 AM)chelo123 Wrote:  Hello,

I started my nbe journey with maca and fenugreek, i had alot of success initially but broke out bad so I decided Saw Palmetto would help. I added sp and wild yam. 

OMG was it a mistake, - not only did the acne barely subside....about 2 weeks in, my breasts have decreased, I have lost my sex drive, mood is horrible, im insecure, paranoid, weepy, needy, its a nightmare. I also had EXTREME stomach pain one day, and blood in my stool. 

Im done with SP and going back to my maca and fenugreek. How can I balance the acne on this program though?

Also is it normal for sex drive to plummet right after the period?

Try Vitex it is pretty safe to use and it won't do what SP does to your body in fact it may even help you allot but do your research 1st on Vitex to make sure it is right for you.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon