Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

When should you take fennel/spearmint during your cycle?

Hi ladies,

I've been drinking lots of fennel tea and hope to soon start adding spearmint too. Might even try the capsules one day. I'm confused though; reading some of the posts on here, some members say that you should take spearmint (anti-androgen) for 14 days, starting from the first day of your cycle (period). Others say that you should take it when your period ends, luteal phase etc. Which is correct? 

By the way, I didn't know that you had to take herbs/teas during a specific phase of your cycle. I've been drinking fennel (phytoestrogen) nearly every day. Could this be counterproductive?? What are your thoughts?

I've read you should take spearmint tea the first 5 days on your period. It kinda makes sense to me as it is anti androgenic and you have more testosteron during your period. I also drink fennel tea I was thinking to buy spearmint tea and drink it on my period instead of fennel tea and drink fennel tea all the other days of my cycle. But I could be wrong when to take it. I would like to investigate this further as well.

(29-01-2017, 10:20 AM)Octaviaaah Wrote:  I've read you should take spearmint tea the first 5 days on your period. It kinda makes sense to me as it is anti androgenic and you have more testosterone during your period. I also drink fennel tea I was thinking to buy spearmint tea and drink it on my period instead of fennel tea and drink fennel tea all the other days of my cycle. But I could be wrong when to take it. I would like to investigate this further as well.

Thank you for answering! 

I'm going to start drinking spearmint tea and see how it goes. I've heard some really good things about it; apparently you start to notice changes in 6 weeks. It even slows down unwanted hair growth. Have you noticed any (positive) changes from drinking fennel? 

I'm confused though about when our bodies produce more testosterone. Several sites and studies (like this one: 
http://med.monash.edu.au/sphpm/womenshealth/docs/testosterone-and-androgens-in-women.pdf) say that testosterone levels peak during the middle phase of the menstrual cycle, so around ovulation. 

I don't think we produce more testosterone during our period, because the more testosterone you have, the less you would have your period...the less "feminine" you would be, right? Maybe it doesn't matter when we drink the teas, as I don't think the amount of hormones/hormone balancing-substances they contain are extremely high. I'd like to know though if there's a right/wrong way!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon