Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Progesterone, Thyroid, NBE. Advice?

So I've been on cerazette/Cerelle since I was 18 (now 24). My reason for taking it was because I was bleeding for 4 months + at a time (longest 6 months). I stopped bleeding completely on the pill.

In the last 2 years I've been diagnosed with depression and an anxiety disorder (anxiety was there way before the pill though), and things were just getting worse. I started spotting/having periods recently (every other week, although admittedly I missed a pill here and there), having serious headaches, feeling generally weak (to the point of collapsing), tremors, muscle aches etc. 

After a few doctors visits they found I was borderline Hyperthyroidism with a dangerously high blood pressure. At the time I was taking maca, veg capsules and some other multivitamins which can apparently all effect your thyroid (maca is apparently bad for those with hyper). I also suffer with insomnia.

In the last 3 weeks I have completely stopped my pill just because I wanted to see if it would make a difference. I can feel I have high blood pressure still. But I feel so much better in myself. I seem to be able to just sleep at night. My partner said I seem much happier in general, its even been noticed by people at work who dont know my health issues. I have an increased sex drive and a less foggy mind.

What I'm worried about, is the increased risk of cancer from the lack of progesterone. I havnt had my hormones tested yet but the quizes ive taken online all say estrogen dominant. But that just doesnt make any sense to me. If you were me, would you start taking a progesterone cream/supplement? 

I wanted to start BO but have no idea how this will effect my thyroid in the long run.

My concern for the low progesterone/ high estrogen problem is that we are seeing the imbalance leads to some dangerous conditions such as breast cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, and possibly uterine cancer. Excess estrogen, without the balance of progesterone, can be dangerous if left untreated.

I am not saying that everyone needs to take progesterone, but every woman should be aware of what her body is telling her. Early symptoms are the best way to determine ETongue balance. Estrogen to progesterone imbalance can be discovered from a very young age and it can be treated and prevented early.

(04-03-2017, 05:26 PM)nanakante Wrote:  My concern for the low progesterone/ high estrogen problem is that we are seeing the imbalance leads to some dangerous conditions such as breast cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, and possibly uterine cancer. Excess estrogen, without the balance of progesterone, can be dangerous if left untreated.

I am not saying that everyone needs to take progesterone, but every woman should be aware of what her body is telling her. Early symptoms are the best way to determine ETongue balance. Estrogen to progesterone imbalance can be discovered from a very young age and it can be treated and prevented early.

I was glad to see someone else talking about this on these forums! I started bioidentical hormone replacement therapy in September because of problems I've had since I was a teenager with estrogen dominance. Because of that, I decided not to do herbal supplements for NBE, just taking BO and doing massages and considering the Bravissimo system. But I think to do NBE effectively it is definitely very important to have all hormones balanced and get checked for estrogen dominance, as it is very common.

(15-03-2017, 09:55 PM)Pink.Chiffon Wrote:  
(04-03-2017, 05:26 PM)nanakante Wrote:  My concern for the low progesterone/ high estrogen problem is that we are seeing the imbalance leads to some dangerous conditions such as breast cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, and possibly uterine cancer. Excess estrogen, without the balance of progesterone, can be dangerous if left untreated.

I was glad to see someone else talking about this on these forums! I started bioidentical hormone replacement therapy in September because of problems I've had since I was a teenager with estrogen dominance. Because of that, I decided not to do herbal supplements for NBE, just taking BO and doing massages and considering the Bravissimo system. But I think to do NBE effectively it is definitely very important to have all hormones balanced and get checked for estrogen dominance, as it is very common.

What are the symptoms of high estrogen/low progesterone?? This is why I'm hesitant about taking herbs that increase estrogen...

About the maca did you have to quit it completely?
I have had hyperthyroidism in the past and I have always avoided maca. But now my levels are normalized for 3 years already and I asked a licensed doctor who works homeopathic as well if maca would hurt me. We agreed she will take a bloodtest after a month to see my thyroid levels, but she says a low dosage won't affect me normally it's probably fine if I just take 1 gram a day. How much maca did you take? 

I have no idea of BO affecting thyroid, I have no clue at all I asked my endocrinologist if it was bad if I took seaweed and stuff and she never has said a word about what I can take and what not if I would have asked her about herbs she probably doesn't know either. 

I think in your case it's best to take a hormone test and only start BO if your thyroid levels are normalized.

(18-03-2017, 08:28 PM)bettie32 Wrote:  
(15-03-2017, 09:55 PM)Pink.Chiffon Wrote:  

What are the symptoms of high estrogen/low progesterone?? This is why I'm hesitant about taking herbs that increase estrogen...

Here is a quick excerpt for you from drnorthrup.com:

Decreased sex drive 
Irregular or otherwise abnormal menstrual periods*
Bloating (water retention)*
Breast swelling and tenderness*
Fibrocystic breasts 
Headaches (especially premenstrually) 
Mood swings (most often irritability and depression)*
Weight and/or fat gain (particularly around the abdomen and hips)*
Cold hands and feet (a symptom of thyroid dysfunction)*
Hair loss 
Thyroid dysfunction*
Sluggish metabolism 
Foggy thinking, memory loss*
Fatigue*
Trouble sleeping/insomnia* 
PMS*

Estrogen dominance has also been linked to allergies*, autoimmune disorders,* breast cancer, uterine cancer, infertility, ovarian cysts,* and increased blood clotting, and is also associated with acceleration of the aging process. - See more at: http://www.drnorthrup.com/estrogen-domin...9I8PY.dpuf

I starred the ones that were big issues for me that improved once I started bioidentical hormone therapy. The article by Dr. Northrup also gives suggestions on how to naturally decrease estrogen dominance.

Here is a really good article if you want to get into the nitty gritty of estrogen and progesterone. https://www.drlam.com/blog/estrogen-domi...rt-1/1704/

Feel free to ask any questions! I will tell you all I know Smile

(19-03-2017, 05:14 PM)Pink.Chiffon Wrote:  Here is a quick excerpt for you from drnorthrup.com:

Decreased sex drive 
Fibrocystic breasts 
Hair loss 
Thyroid dysfunction*
Sluggish metabolism 
Fatigue*
PMS*

Estrogen dominance has also been linked to allergies*, autoimmune disorders,* breast cancer, uterine cancer, infertility, ovarian cysts,* and increased blood clotting, and is also associated with acceleration of the aging process. - See more at: http://www.drnorthrup.com/estrogen-domin...9I8PY.dpuf

I starred the ones that were big issues for me that improved once I started bioidentical hormone therapy. The article by Dr. Northrup also gives suggestions on how to naturally decrease estrogen dominance.

Here is a really good article if you want to get into the nitty gritty of estrogen and progesterone. https://www.drlam.com/blog/estrogen-domi...rt-1/1704/

Thank you for your helpful reply and for the links, Pink Chiffon (super cute name!).
I actually have some of those symptoms but I'm sure I'm not estrogen dominant. Actually, I tend to have more testosterone.....I'll take a better look at the second article you just posted :-)
i wanted to know the symptoms of estrogen dominance/low progesterone for the future, in case I decide to take supplements that could alter hormones...

Id92, I heard you need to be really careful about using PC. You need to be 100% that your body needs it before using it.

(19-03-2017, 10:10 PM)bettie32 Wrote:  
(19-03-2017, 05:14 PM)Pink.Chiffon Wrote:  Here is a quick excerpt for you from drnorthrup.com:

Decreased sex drive 
Fibrocystic breasts 
Hair loss 
Thyroid dysfunction*
Sluggish metabolism 
Fatigue*
PMS*

Thank you for your helpful reply and for the links, Pink Chiffon (super cute name!).
I actually have some of those symptoms but I'm sure I'm not estrogen dominant. Actually, I tend to have more testosterone.....I'll take a better look at the second article you just posted :-)
i wanted to know the symptoms of estrogen dominance/low progesterone for the future, in case I decide to take supplements that could alter hormones...

Id92, I heard you need to be really careful about using PC. You need to be 100% that your body needs it before using it.

You're very welcome! Smile   and thank you♡

I think the safest thing to do would be to have your doctor order bloodwork for your hormones. My hormone treatments are managed by a bioidentical hormone therapy doctor, and I get my bloodwork done about three times a year to monitor the levels. I take prescription progesterone pills that my OBGYN manages for me.

I also had issues with slightly high testosterone. When I was a teenager, my testosterone levels were very high. Not really sure why they changed or when they changed, but my problem now is high estrogen and low progesterone (as opposed to just high estrogen).

Feel free to ask me any other questions. I have done a lot of research on hormones since I first started considering hormone replacement therapy. Smile

(19-03-2017, 10:32 PM)Pink.Chiffon Wrote:  You're very welcome! Smile   and thank you♡

I think the safest thing to do would be to have your doctor order bloodwork for your hormones. My hormone treatments are managed by a bioidentical hormone therapy doctor, and I get my bloodwork done about three times a year to monitor the levels. I take prescription progesterone pills that my OBGYN manages for me.

I also had issues with slightly high testosterone. When I was a teenager, my testosterone levels were very high. Not really sure why they changed or when they changed, but my problem now is high estrogen and low progesterone (as opposed to just high estrogen).

Feel free to ask me any other questions. I have done a lot of research on hormones since I first started considering hormone replacement therapy. Smile

Thank you again Pink Chiffon <3 Will definitely ask you more questions (I'm actually going to create separate threads so I don't take over this one by id92! :-))

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon