Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Is vegan/vegetarian collagen as effective as regular collagen?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if plant based/marine based collagen is as good as animal collagen? I have a feeling animal-derived collagen would be more effective but if you have any thoughts/experience please share!

(16-02-2017, 11:37 AM)bettie32 Wrote:  Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if plant based/marine based collagen is as good as animal collagen? I have a feeling animal-derived collagen would be more effective but if you have any thoughts/experience please share!

Not entirely sure, but I would assume that it wouldn't matter because it would contain similar if not identical peptides that your body can absorb and use just as any other collagen on the market. What matters most is the bioavailability of the collagen (your body's ability to be able to break down and actually absorb the collagen). Plant based all natural sources, typically have higher bioavailability because your body easily recognizes it as edible/food whereas highly processed and synthesized products have a harder time being absorbed. Kind of like how everyone assumes you can only get protein from animal sources but you can get the same protein from a wealth of plant sources, after all protein is protein, you know, doesn't matter where it comes from as long as it has the right chemical structure.

I'm curious what brand of collagen are you looking at?

<3 Christri

(16-02-2017, 06:20 PM)christri Wrote:  Not entirely sure, but I would assume that it wouldn't matter because it would contain similar if not identical peptides that your body can absorb and use just as any other collagen on the market. What matters most is the bioavailability of the collagen (your body's ability to be able to break down and actually absorb the collagen). Plant based all natural sources, typically have higher bioavailability because your body easily recognizes it as edible/food whereas highly processed and synthesized products have a harder time being absorbed. Kind of like how everyone assumes you can only get protein from animal sources but you can get the same protein from a wealth of plant sources, after all protein is protein, you know, doesn't matter where it comes from as long as it has the right chemical structure.

I'm curious what brand of collagen are you looking at?

<3 Christri

Thank you for your feedback and thorough explanation, Christri!

That's really a relief, I wasn't sure because many articles point out that the collagen from cows is the closest/most similar to our collagen but like you said, collagen is collagen at the end of the day.....I'm going to do some more research and then pick the one I like best. Thanks again <3

In case anyone is interested in collagen, there are 3 types of collagen: marine, plant and animal. 

I did lots of research and it actually seems marine (fish derived) collagen is the best one! It's the purest, the most easily absorbed (something to do with bioavailability) and most effective. These links explain it best:

https://www.renewalliance.com/blog/7-tip...supplement

http://www.bestcollagensupplements.com/

Also, powderd eversion works better and faster than taking pills.

Marine based collages is always better and one that can be consumed in liquid form is more beneficial. Liquid form collagen gets absorbed easily. It is important to buy collagen which is concentrated or has high bio availability.

Found this website good on this topic

https://www.drinkingcollagen.com/

Hmm i might look into that. I have Dr's Best this expensive one ive never used.
My thoughts i wonder if Gelatin is better? I need it cause my hair is still falling out and i need support for my gums and to help with leaky gut - alot of peoples probs could be tied up with intestinal permeability.

Il do some looking today. I have both collagen and gelatin (great lakes).

REading reviews on Amazon i help helps immensely when trying something new

(18-03-2017, 07:43 PM)EllaC Wrote:  Hmm i might look into that. I have Dr's Best this expensive one ive never used.
My thoughts i wonder if Gelatin is better? I need it cause my hair is still falling out and i need support for my gums and to help with leaky gut - alot of peoples probs could be tied up with intestinal permeability.

Hi Ella,

According to this source (which also mentions Great Lakes)  http://www.hollywoodhomestead.com/differ...-collagen/ 
the main difference between the two is how you use it. Also collagen is treated at higher temperatures and Collagen doesn't gelify (I think I invented a word Big Grin). True gelatin only dissolves in hot water (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/blog/chel...vs-gelatin) while collagen can be stirred in cold water too. 

I've done lots of research and it seems hydrolyzed collagen is easier to digest, than gelatin. I think they're both great for you though. By the way, I really like how collagen is making my skin clearer and "plumper". I think my lips look fuller! It's great for the hair and nails are growing like no tomorrow!

(18-03-2017, 07:55 PM)bettie32 Wrote:  
(18-03-2017, 07:43 PM)EllaC Wrote:  Hmm i might look into that. I have Dr's Best this expensive one ive never used.

Hi Ella,

According to this source (which also mentions Great Lakes)  http://www.hollywoodhomestead.com/differ...-collagen/ 
the main difference between the two is how you use it. Also collagen is treated at higher temperatures and Collagen doesn't gelify (I think I invented a word Big Grin). True gelatin only dissolves in hot water (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/blog/chel...vs-gelatin) while collagen can be stirred in cold water too. 

I've done lots of research and it seems hydrolyzed collagen is easier to digest, than gelatin. I think they're both great for you though. By the way, I really like how collagen is making my skin clearer and "plumper". I think my lips look fuller! It's great for the hair and nails are growing like no tomorrow!
cool thanks for that love.
Yeh id love to stop my hair falling out. Its very porous too!
Gelatin is truely aweful!

(18-03-2017, 08:45 PM)EllaC Wrote:  cool thanks for that love.
Yeh id love to stop my hair falling out. Its very porous too!
Gelatin is truely aweful!

You're welcome hun!

Your hair will definitely benefit and it's great for the digestive tract (esp. leaky gut), healing and repairing the intestinal lining. We finally found something that doesn't have any freaky adverse side effects!  Wink

bettie, this is the one I am taking:
Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate Beef, Kosher

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Gelatin-Collagen-Hydrolysate/dp/B005KG7EDU/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489893163&sr=8-1&keywords=gelatin%2Bcollagen%2Bhydrolysate%2Bbeef&th=1

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon